-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

dear ethan & joel...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 02:51 PM

Dear Ethan & Joel:

You guys are really big mainstream successes now. THE BIG LEBOWSKI is a "surprise cult hit," with at least two, maybe three DVD releases (one with a bowling ball!). The DVD of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN looked beautiful, crisp and clear. And I'm even looking forward to seeing the new comedy, yes.

So... Now that you're pretty big, and all... Why not revisit RAISING ARIZONA? The DVD is, frankly, terrible. The worst of the lot. Soft, non-anamorphic, dull and sounds as if it's under water.

Whaddaya say, guys? Come on. Soon, ok? So I can buy it and can quit renting the same awful scratched up version of it from Netflix.

Thanks.

Yours,

MC

"We're usin CODE names."
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 9 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 03:51 PM

I don't think it's their call. Fox has had three great opportunities to release this (to coincide with the initial Fox releases of "Barton Fink" & "Miller's Crossing", the film's 20th anniversary last year and their 5-film box set after they acquired "Fargo" and "Blood Simple") and they've opted to keep the same non-anamorphic disc in circulation.

If any two directors are uninvolved with DVD production its the Coens. They barely contribute to their other DVD releases so it should come as no surprise that they aren't riding Fox to get an acceptable transfer for this film.

Fox is who you wanna hound. "Hudsucker" is anamorphic but Warner Bros. could do a lot better with that one too.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#3 of 9 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 01:01 AM

Quote:
"Hudsucker" is anamorphic but Warner Bros. could do a lot better with that one too.
I agree. You know, I was just seeing if I could drum up some HTF rah-rah about the sad state of the RAISING ARIZONA disc. We get release upon re-release (and sometimes re-re-release) of some real stinkers, and RAISING ARIZONA is not one of those. It needs a little more attention, even if it's just in the form of a watchable media release.

In my opinion.

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

#4 of 9 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 03:23 AM

An HD version has run in the recent past (on MOJO I think), and it looked pretty decent. We can hope that Fox gets around to a Blu-ray release sooner rather than later.

This used to be my favorite Coen film, but then O Brother edged it out slightly.

Well, okay then.

#5 of 9 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,036 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 03:50 AM

Fox is really beginning to suck now. Their refusal to re-issue non-anamorphic DVD's (THE ABYSS, anyone?) is exasperating. Their pricing of bare-bones Blu-Ray, including virtually NONE of the special features of the SD's that could so easily have fit on them, is puzzling (it would seem to me they are shooting themselves in the feet - I know MANY BD adapters won't buy them unless their price drops and/or they release full-on special editions). Guess the glory days of the wonderfully-priced Studio Classics series and customer relations under the guidance of people like Peter Staddon are gone for now.
We'll have to wait for a renaissance under a new regime, such as Warner Bros. experienced a few years back.

#6 of 9 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 05:36 AM

Quote:
Their refusal to re-issue non-anamorphic DVD's (THE ABYSS, anyone?)
ACH! THE ABYSS! You're right. Awful. Abyss-mal.

:-(

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

#7 of 9 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,635 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 17 2008 - 06:10 AM

Fox has nothing to do with the lack of an anamorphic copy of The Abyss. James Cameron hasn't approved a new transfer so that's the hold up.

#8 of 9 Doug:Li

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 06:40 AM

i have been on a Coen brothers kick since MCFOM came out, and I would LOVE to see a new DVD of Raising Arizona too. Even if it is barebones with some fluff EPK stuff. Just gimmie a decent anamorphic transfer.

#9 of 9 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,033 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 19 2008 - 04:30 PM

I just would like to see all their films go to Blu.
but i would settle for a better release of raising arizona.

MCFOM?

Micah Cohen For Older Films
?
facebook.com/whotony

Forum Nav Content I Follow