What's new

Apocalypse Now, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
How about getting a thread going urging Coppola to do work on Apocalypse Now on Blu-ray (if it isn't already being done behind the scenes).

Now that The Godfather is released, now it's time to release another great piece of filmmaking in high definition.

Mike

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

I guess a thread about The Last Emperor would be career suicide...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I guess you certainly wouldn't want Criterion to do this one considering who they'd likely end up defering to. :P

Hmmm... You mean it was shown in good quality HD in OAR?

_Man_

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest problems I have with this whole thing is the inconsistent usage, outdated excuses, and singling out of the home video format. If Storaro believes the 2.00:1 ratio is so magical and great then why didn't he use it for the creation of Apocalypse Now Redux?

But no, it's only the home video release that gets cropped. Why? Because TVs are too square was one excuse. Well, new TVs are 1.78:1 now so that excuse (which I assume was made when 4:3 TVs were still very prominent) goes out the window, particularly where Blu-ray is concerned since pretty much all HDTVs are widescreen.

Another excuse was the lack of vertical resolution on DVD. With 1080 lines on Blu-ray, the vertical resolution of a 2.39:1 film will still be almost twice as high as a 2.00:1 film on NTSC DVD, so that doesn't fly any longer either.

In short, was there a point to it on DVD? Perhaps. Is it still valid for Blu-ray? Absolutely not, and Storaro needs to wake up and realize this. I, for one, will not buy Apocalypse Now again unless it's a new transfer in OAR.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This just points to a power trip on the part of Storaro. I have nothing but admiration for the man's cinematography craft, but when it comes to his imposition of a MAR for DVD releases, the man is behaving like someone who uses power and control simply because he can. It's childish and counterproductive. The arguments against the 2.00:1 ratio stated above are all valid, and in light of them, there is not one single argument I can think of (and I've tried) why, in this day and age with HD sets and larger screens, an OAR version cannot AT LEAST BE INCLUDED along with his bastardized, revisionist version of a given film. I simply cannot abide characters on the sides of the screen being cut in half just to satiate the silly whims of a talented man with way too much influence over the respective directors and studios of the films he shoots.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Isn't "Tucker" another Zoetrope/Paramount production? I couldn't find a Zoetrope credit for this one. At any rate, I would love to see this on BD as well.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am only interested in the original theatrical cut...no matter the aspect ratio. I really dont care for the longer cut. The original editing saved Coppola's bacon at the time! Since he had no clue how to cut it. That is, if Hearts of Darkness is any guide to the goings on of the production.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
This is one of the few moments where I hope the studio simply says "to hell with the director and cinematographer, we're putting it out in its OAR!"...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't think it would bother him, as it somewhat fits with his Univisium aesthetic by maximising effective lines of resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks