Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie Question on Migration from Windows

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,116 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 15 2008 - 06:30 AM

My motherboard on my five year old HP Media Center PC developed thermal problems not worth my time and resources to diagnose and fix, so I finally decided to join Mac nation and picked up an iMac. There are a few Windows XP exclusive applications that I would still like to run from time to time (portable music player software, Interactual DVD player for the occasional DVD review of a title with ROM content that is not Mac-friendly, etc.), and I am trying to figure out the best way to go as far as using Boot Camp and/or Parallels. I do not need or want to deal with Vista, so all I really want is to be able to run legacy XP stuff from time to time. My SATA hard drive from my PC is intact, and I have a USB 2.0 dock for it so I can retrieve whatever files I need. Essentially, I am wondering what would be the cheapest way to go. Would Parallels work with my existing XP Media Center drive without having to purchase another copy of Windows XP to install? If the answer is no (which I suspect it is), then I will probably just go with buying a copy of XP to install on a partition and using Boot Camp. I would be using the XP stuff so infrequently that I would not mind the inconvenience of rebooting, so I might not go with adding Parallels in that case. If this topic has been covered extensively in another thread, then just point me in that direction. Otherwise, any helpful or random thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 11:31 AM

I haven't tried this myself, but there seems like there is a remote chance that if you put the old XP drive in a FireWire enclosure, when you boot the Mac, you can hold down the Option key, and it will show the external drive as bootable, and then you can boot XP from there. If you can boot and XP actually starts instead of dying a horrible death because the hardware has changed too much, then Windows Genuine Advantage will probably complain that the machine has changed too much. At that point, you could call in and plead your case. Most likely, it was an OEM copy, but since you had a hardware failure, you might be able to claim this as a very radical "motherboard swap". Do this only if you have or can borrow the FireWire enclosure. New, they can cost more than another OEM copy of XP, and that new XP will definitely work. Again, the chance is slim, and a USB enclosure will almost surely not work (in both cases because the old drive does not use the "GUID partition type")

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,027 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 03:26 AM

Ken, I am probably talking out of my ass here about Windows XP, but unless you have a standalone XP disc (which I doubt since it is Media Center), I don't think you can run Parallels and XP off that external. But hey, I would sure be interested to see if you could. Parallels, in my opinion, is the better way to go if you don't intend on playing games. It's integration with Mac Leopard is just amazing to the point that you can run both on top of each other swapping files between each and running a Windows and Mac program at the same time. Problem is the extra cost here. XP runs $174 for the home version which is all you need and Parallels runs about $80. BTW, how do you like your Mac thus far? You getting the hang of it?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,087 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 16 2008 - 11:48 AM

WinXP Home OEM is about $80. That's what I use.

I've read many comments saying that Fusion is now better than Parallels (in contrast to when I bought Parallels 14 months ago and Fusion wasn't yet available.)

You might get by for free: VirtualBox is a free virtualizer from Sun that seems to do the basics well. But last I heard, it couldn't connect to a BootCamp partition.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 06:33 AM

A related noob question here. I'm a PC, and all my external hard drives are formatted for what Windows PCs use. I don't recall the name of the format, but I am aware that it is different than what Macs use. So if I switched to Mac, would Macs be able to see my files on my externals, or would I have to reformat everything? And if I reformatted the externals to the Mac format, then when running Parallels, would the Windows half of my Mac be able to see the files?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,087 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 07:31 AM

OS X can read & write FAT32. OS X can read, but not write, NTFS. Solely for migration, OS X can read your Windows hard drives. When I migrated, I had both computers networked (search online; it's not obvious how to do it) and copied from PC to Mac. Depending on how you need to use these files with a Mac, you may be able to leave them as is. Or you may want to back them up, reformat the drives to the OS X version (HTFS Journaled) and copy data back.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 02:11 PM

Ok, that is helpful. Thank you. One more question, then: What kind of drive would a Mac read & write when it is running XP on Parallels?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,087 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 02:48 PM

Presumably XP via Parallels would read and write FAT32 and NTFS drives, but I don't know specifically. I suggest checking directly with Parallels, either tech support or their forums for that. I don't have any NTFS drives, so I can't test it.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted October 17 2008 - 03:53 PM

I use VirtualBox and its actually pretty good for freeware. FYI you can boot from a USB or Firewire drive with intel based Mac's (older PowerPC's needed firewire).

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 19 2008 - 06:02 AM

VMware Fusion has a utility that can take your existing Windows installation and turn it into a virtual machine for Fusion. The problem is that you have to run/install software on your Windows machine for it to work. Would that be possible on your current system?

Check it out here: VMware Fusion - Migrating Your Windows PC to Your Mac Easily - VMware
As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 06:25 AM

Ken can resume control of this thread now. I'm still trying to repair my Win PC so hopefully I can save this knowledge for the future... I know eventually I'll get a Mac, and I thank you all for your replies.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,027 posts

Posted October 21 2008 - 01:37 AM

Ken, How are you making out with your new Mac these days? Kind of looking for a progress report.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,116 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 21 2008 - 08:20 AM

Everything is hunky dory. The only hiccup in my migration is that for some reason, the double sided printing feature of my HP inkjet printer is not supported for the Mac. The last bit of my migration from my "dead motherboard" PC was to retrieve my contacts and archived messages from Microsoft Outlook. I installed Outlook on my 40GB Bootcamp XP partition, opened up the pst file from my old hard drive, and exported everything I needed to text files. I had to uninstall Parallels because of a problem with some software on my XP partition, and I have not gotten around to reinstalling it yet. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,163 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 26 2008 - 01:11 AM

Great to hear!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications