What's new

Superman (original w/ 2.0 track + sequels/Supergirl) - any plans? (1 Viewer)

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Hi guys.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I was looking for specs from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray releases and I wasn't able to find all Superman sequels. Are there any plans to release all those movies/discs?

Superman II: Theatrical Cut
Superman III;
Superman IV (93 minute version);
Supergirl (International Version = fram. issue corrected. Old DVD it's over-matted and in several instances feels too tight, especially on the bottom portion of the frame.)

And the most important item from that list...

Superman - The Movie - with the original DD 2.0 track (1978)!

Is it true that both HD-DVD/Blu-Ray versions are not including this track? Why? And where is the theatrical cut?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they should do another BD release of Superman: The Movie with Lossless audio (including the original soundtrack) both cuts of the film and all the extras that have been released on DVD. It probably won't happen until the next Superman film hits theaters though.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I believe the 5.1 mix on the Superman: The Movie discs is based on the 70mm 6 track theatrical mix. So it actually is one of the original sound tracks.

Doug

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
No, it was an entirely new mix with newly recorded sound effects. I remember there being a big fuss about it in '01 when the first DVD was released. I'm no purist and thought it sounded great, but even I had a problem or two with it as they actually added effects that weren't there before in some cases.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Yeah I went back and listened to it. The gun shots and the automatic door opening (included on every Windows computer) are a dead give away. It doesn't sound bad, but sure doesn't sound like a film from 1978.

Doug

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
I remember the uproar about the changed soundtrack on Superman: The Movie. I also remember them reissueing the DVD with the included original sound track. I expected the Blu-ray version to include it and was dissappointed when I bought it and it did not.

On a side note, there is a deleted scene that I remember seeing in a past version of the movie that was not included in the Blue-ray version. It was a scene where Miss Tessmacher is being lowered into a pit of alligators as retribution over releasing superman. ANybody remember this? What version of the movie does it appear on? If they went through the trouble of adding in all those other deleted scenes why omit this one?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Superman box set that was released on SD (DVD) & announced for HD (DVD), is that coming too Blu?
I WANT those cartoons in HiDef!!!

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Assuming Warner decides to re-release the first film on BD, would there be enough room on a BD50 to have the new 5.1 mix in TrueHD *and* the original mix in PCM? I would think so since Close Encounters of The Third Kind has both DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I can imagine Warner re-visiting these once Man of Steel arrives in theaters (2010?).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, on the original DVD, those scenes for some reason were put in an "Outtakes" section. Not all the extras from that release made the BD, so they may have been left out.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

As far as I know that scene was only in the extended television cut of the movie.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It was also included in the deleted scenes in the first DVD release, along with "Otis... feed the babies." Both of these scenes really did nothing to advance the narrative and were cut with good reason IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks