Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Superman (original w/ 2.0 track + sequels/Supergirl) - any plans?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   John Stuart

John Stuart

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi guys. Posted Image

I was looking for specs from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray releases and I wasn't able to find all Superman sequels. Are there any plans to release all those movies/discs?

Superman II: Theatrical Cut
Superman III;
Superman IV (93 minute version);
Supergirl (International Version = fram. issue corrected. Old DVD it's over-matted and in several instances feels too tight, especially on the bottom portion of the frame.)

And the most important item from that list...

Superman - The Movie - with the original DD 2.0 track (1978)!

Is it true that both HD-DVD/Blu-Ray versions are not including this track? Why? And where is the theatrical cut? Posted Image
"While technology progresses at the speed of light, it's implementation is filtered through the speed of bureaucracy."

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 02:40 AM

Yeah, they should do another BD release of Superman: The Movie with Lossless audio (including the original soundtrack) both cuts of the film and all the extras that have been released on DVD. It probably won't happen until the next Superman film hits theaters though.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 02:58 AM

I believe the 5.1 mix on the Superman: The Movie discs is based on the 70mm 6 track theatrical mix. So it actually is one of the original sound tracks. Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 03:19 AM

No, it was an entirely new mix with newly recorded sound effects. I remember there being a big fuss about it in '01 when the first DVD was released. I'm no purist and thought it sounded great, but even I had a problem or two with it as they actually added effects that weren't there before in some cases.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 04:42 AM

Yeah I went back and listened to it. The gun shots and the automatic door opening (included on every Windows computer) are a dead give away. It doesn't sound bad, but sure doesn't sound like a film from 1978. Doug

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   njoberheim

njoberheim

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 05:09 AM

I remember the uproar about the changed soundtrack on Superman: The Movie. I also remember them reissueing the DVD with the included original sound track. I expected the Blu-ray version to include it and was dissappointed when I bought it and it did not. On a side note, there is a deleted scene that I remember seeing in a past version of the movie that was not included in the Blue-ray version. It was a scene where Miss Tessmacher is being lowered into a pit of alligators as retribution over releasing superman. ANybody remember this? What version of the movie does it appear on? If they went through the trouble of adding in all those other deleted scenes why omit this one?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 05:36 AM

The Superman box set that was released on SD (DVD) & announced for HD (DVD), is that coming too Blu? I WANT those cartoons in HiDef!!!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 05:45 AM

Assuming Warner decides to re-release the first film on BD, would there be enough room on a BD50 to have the new 5.1 mix in TrueHD *and* the original mix in PCM? I would think so since Close Encounters of The Third Kind has both DTS-HD and TrueHD tracks.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,291 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 05:57 AM

I can imagine Warner re-visiting these once Man of Steel arrives in theaters (2010?).

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 08:55 AM

IIRC, on the original DVD, those scenes for some reason were put in an "Outtakes" section. Not all the extras from that release made the BD, so they may have been left out.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 09:13 AM

As far as I know that scene was only in the extended television cut of the movie. Doug

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 15 2008 - 09:51 AM

It was also included in the deleted scenes in the first DVD release, along with "Otis... feed the babies." Both of these scenes really did nothing to advance the narrative and were cut with good reason IMHO.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 01:46 PM

Oh right but it was never released as a cut of the film on video was it? Doug

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted September 17 2008 - 09:24 AM

Nope, just in a TV edit and as deleted scenes on the DVD release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users