Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The FBI


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#1 of 71 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

    Supporting Actor



  • 702 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 19 2002

Posted September 14 2008 - 03:29 PM

Since I have enjoyed the QM shows that have been released - I wonder if we will see any Season sets of this series? Does not seem likely I suppose.

#2 of 71 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

    Screenwriter



  • 2,014 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 05 2006

Posted September 14 2008 - 05:21 PM

This is a Warners show so I'm sure the subject will come up in the Chat Tonight.

#3 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted November 04 2010 - 10:24 AM

According to a posting on Warner Archives Facebook page, all 9 seasons are planned for release, starting next year, with bonus material.



#4 of 71 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,161 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 11:45 AM

Where was that listing?    I'm looking at their Facebook page and not finding that though if that's true then I'm about to take a giant leap toward TV on DVD nirvana!





#5 of 71 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,161 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 11:56 AM

Okay, I found it!


Any chance of having the Quinn Martin/Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. series "The FBI" out on DVD as well? It was a TV rerun staple of my childhood Posted Image


  • Warner Archive Collection Inspector Erskine will be on the case beginning early next year....All 9 seasons are planned...and bonus content, to boot!


#6 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted November 04 2010 - 11:58 AM

Here's the thread:


Shaun K Chang Any chance of having the Quinn Martin/Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. series "The FBI" out on DVD as well? It was a TV rerun staple of my childhood!

October 31 at 5:25am · Comment · Like

  •  
    • Posted Image
      Warner Archive Collection Inspector Erskine will be on the case beginning early next year....All 9 seasons are planned...and bonus content, to boot!
      17 hours ago ·


#7 of 71 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,161 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 12:23 PM

Reading further, he also gives a yes to "Tarzan" with Ron Ely so that crosses off two of the three titles of theirs I want to see (Girl From UNCLE being the third).



#8 of 71 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

    Screenwriter



  • 2,014 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 05 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 01:22 PM

There's 240 episodes of the series?A  recent article on TVSHOWSONDVD.COM that Warners was holding back doing some series due to large number of episodes/seasons.


http://www.tvshowson...ollection/14608


The stalled-on-DVD shows represented on this release could also be a hint that more of them could be coming down the pike...perhaps at least as part of the WBshop's MOD program. One of the obstacles where that is concerned is that the manufacture-on-demand process Warner uses is great for single-layer discs, but they haven't nailed it down for dual-layer discs yet (which is what is needed for hour-long dramas on shows with long episode counts per season...otherwise the packages are bulky and the costs per set are too high; it's said that this is the reason shows like77 Sunset Strip have made it out to the Warner Archive program yet!). Still, we know that Warner is looking to make things happen with this program; we've heard rumors for a while that they would like to continue CHiPs releases as MOD. So the inclusion of an episode with Ponch and Jon on theClassic TV Christmas Collectionmight be a way of testing those waters, too!


Maybe they've decided just to release color series as single-later discs?



#9 of 71 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

    Producer



  • 5,130 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 04 2003
  • Real Name:Rick
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 04 2010 - 01:45 PM

I would love to own The FBI. I have not seen this show since i was a kid. But not on DVD-R. No way, not even if it was 20 bucks a season.


To bad Warner wont sub out to Shout, or some other company that would put these shows on DVD!


Thanks again, for nothing.



#10 of 71 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

    Screenwriter



  • 1,005 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 14 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 03:29 PM



Originally Posted by Neil Brock 


    [*]
    • Posted Image
      Warner Archive Collection Inspector Erskine will be on the case beginning early next year....All 9 seasons are planned...and bonus content, to boot!
      17 hours ago ·



I'll believe it when I see it. They can't even get the Night Court Season 4 release right, which they have pulled from the site due to too many complaints over technical issues. Read about it at www.tvshowsondvd.com.



#11 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted November 04 2010 - 04:51 PM



Originally Posted by RickER 

I would love to own The FBI. I have not seen this show since i was a kid. But not on DVD-R. No way, not even if it was 20 bucks a season.


To bad Warner wont sub out to Shout, or some other company that would put these shows on DVD!


Thanks again, for nothing.



     Ha Ha. Beat me to the punch. I was just about to post that now comes my favorite part of these threads - when the people who've been whining for years about seeing the show released then start bitching that they won't buy it because it costs more than a quarter an episode or because they don't buy Burn on Demand because the discs disintegrate after you play them once or because someone saw a speck of dirt on one of the episodes, or because the shows don't have the coming attractions on them or any one of the other nitpicking complaints you see posted. Yeah, so I guess you wouldn't love it that much. Actually, thinking about it now, since Burn on Demand should soon be just about the only way any older shows will be getting released in the near future, we won't have to see these arguments any more. The people who don't want to buy shows that way will leave the hobby and those of us who embrace it will be the only ones who remain.



#12 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted November 04 2010 - 04:52 PM



Originally Posted by Jack P 

Reading further, he also gives a yes to "Tarzan" with Ron Ely so that crosses off two of the three titles of theirs I want to see (Girl From UNCLE being the third).


     I predict you're going to be batting 1.000 soon. Posted Image

   


#13 of 71 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,161 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted November 04 2010 - 06:31 PM

That's nice to know!


As for all these complaings about burn on demand, I have to confess, I'm finding little patience for them.    I have DVD-Rs that are years old and play fine.    I have the capability to back them up endlessly on new discs if I feel I must.    I'm used to that.     I am also used to having too many boot sets that are also on DVD-Rs.    Would I prefer they be done in a better way?    Hell yes, but why in the world am I going to pass up a chance for UNCUT SOURCE MATERIAL in the best possible release from the owners of the material?     Am I going to be happier with cut episodes on a boot?    Or am I going to be happier with edited repeats that might or might not still show up on TV?     If I love the show, I will get it.    Maybe I won't be quite so enthusiastic about a lesser title, but for the shows I want, I'll be getting them, no ifs ands or buts.



#14 of 71 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter



  • 1,765 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted November 05 2010 - 12:00 AM

Loved The FBI and will probably buy this set once it is out.  But where is 77 Sunset Strip?



#15 of 71 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

    Producer



  • 4,584 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 02 2004
  • Real Name:Gary

Posted November 05 2010 - 01:32 AM

I'm not sure if the larger issue with burn-on-demand is the potential quality control problems or just the cost.  Since I'm not independently wealthy like Neil is, I have to admit that if MOD/BOD is the future and we are looking at $60 or more for season sets I'm probably going to have to take a pass on some titles.  Knowing that these are likely to never go down in price, like traditional dvd releases do, it does make me sad to realize I simply don't have the income to purchase as many of the older shows as I would have liked.  If the point is strictly about quality/playback, and finances aren't a part of the equation, I agree with Jack that there's not as much wiggle room for me to feel bad for a person griping.  It is what it is and you either buy it (hoping it does play fine for many years to come) or you don't.  But that's a different argument than the financial one.  And please don't come in here talking about paying $100 years ago for one or two episodes on a beat up 16 mm film print or vhs tape.  Please!  We are way past those days and they really have no place in the discussion at this point.  The fact is that we have seen, for almost 10 years now, that if one is patience he/she can pick up many a season set for $20 to $30.  That's been the barometer for some time now.  And to have that raised is going to cut into many people's ability to pick up multiple sets.

Many things I purchased as blind buys, or shows I was only marginally interested in, are now going to go by the wayside if the price point of $40 - $60 (or more) sticks.  And that is where it's at early on in the game going by sets like Highway Patrol and Flipper.  And those were half-hour shows.  Once we start talking about 77 Sunset Strip and the like we are looking at massive running times per season.  I've maintained for over a year now (since the inception of MOD) that those type of shows are going to cost some serious money for consumers.  That's fine if you are independently wealthy.  But I doubt the majority on this board fall into that category.


My bottom line is this: if the complaints are solely about quality or not having pristine, remastered prints then I'm siding with Jack.  Those are things that you live with if you like the show.  But if the complaint is about the new, higher pricing structure for an admittedly inferior product (and there's no doubt a DVD-R is inferior to a pressed DVD), then I'm more sympathetic.



Gary "I will buy the Ely Tarzan series if/when it's released - that's one I've wanted for some time now" O.


"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND
 

 


#16 of 71 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

    Producer



  • 3,161 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 15 2006

Posted November 05 2010 - 02:26 AM

Three shows, I'm getting no matter what the cost if they become available.   "The FBI", "Tarzan" and "The Girl From UNCLE."      The 50s Warner shows I have to admit I'm not exactly clamoring for because I'm just not familiar with them and I maybe at a point where blind buys are less practical.



#17 of 71 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

    Producer



  • 4,584 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 02 2004
  • Real Name:Gary

Posted November 05 2010 - 02:58 AM

If Warners actually does come through with a bunch of their classic titles I'll buy two titles no matter the cost: Dr. Kildare & Tarzan.  I'm interested in several others, but if we are talking $50+ BOD titles, then I can't say I'll definitely buy many.  I'd cherry pick a few seasons of certain shows if it meant picking up a clean, uncut copy of a Christmas episode (like the 4th Season of 77 Sunset Strip or the 8th Season of The FBI), but the WB doesn't have a whole bunch of those with their older shows.  It's always surprised me that many of their shows didn't have any Christmas episodes at all when such things seemed to be a staple of most series during the 50's and 60's.  Oh well.


Gary "I don't think I've seen the Ron Ely series since I was a kid in the 70's" O.


"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND
 

 


#18 of 71 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

    Screenwriter



  • 1,765 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 24 2008

Posted November 05 2010 - 03:06 AM

I definitely want the Ron Ely Tarzan.  He protrayed Tarzan as an intelligent person, like in the Boughoughs books and not the idiot that Weismuller protrayed him as.  Though I liked Johnny W as Tarzan and have both sets.


#19 of 71 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

    Screenwriter



  • 1,536 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2008

Posted November 05 2010 - 03:53 AM


Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock 

     Ha Ha. Beat me to the punch. I was just about to post that now comes my favorite part of these threads - when the people who've been whining for years about seeing the show released then start bitching that they won't buy it because it costs more than a quarter an episode or because they don't buy Burn on Demand because the discs disintegrate after you play them once or because someone saw a speck of dirt on one of the episodes, or because the shows don't have the coming attractions on them or any one of the other nitpicking complaints you see posted. Yeah, so I guess you wouldn't love it that much. Actually, thinking about it now, since Burn on Demand should soon be just about the only way any older shows will be getting released in the near future, we won't have to see these arguments any more. The people who don't want to buy shows that way will leave the hobby and those of us who embrace it will be the only ones who remain.


Interesting perspective Neil. Of course the view you paint of those that have some issues with the MOD approach is "make believe", at best. But go ahead and keep trying to sell that point.


What do they call that again? Oh Yea...the definition:


A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position



#20 of 71 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

    Screenwriter



  • 2,145 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 29 2009

Posted November 05 2010 - 03:55 AM



Originally Posted by Gary OS 

I'm not sure if the larger issue with burn-on-demand is the potential quality control problems or just the cost.  Since I'm not independently wealthy like Neil is, I have to admit that if MOD/BOD is the future and we are looking at $60 or more for season sets I'm probably going to have to take a pass on some titles.


     Here's the definition of "Independently Wealthy" :


    Possessing enough wealth that one does not need financial support from another person and does not require income from employment


    I am certainly not that. My parents didn't have a pot to piss in and I've had to work for every dime I've ever gotten. No, what I have is a good career that I had to work hard to achieve and my hobbies and interests are how I choose to spend my money. I have to work and if I needed to pay more for BOD sets, well then I would have to work more. That's all. I don't waste my money on a lot of crap that a lot of other people do so that I have plenty of disposable income to spend on my collecting. Its not unlimited either. I put aside a couple of hundred dollars a week towards my hobbies which I imagine is not much more than some people blow on eating out, going to movies or concerts or sporting events or going out drinking. Whatever. I chose to spend on my interests what others spend on theirs. Go to some POS movie and buy a soda and a popcorn and its more than most DVD season sets.



  






Forum Nav Content I Follow