What's new

Survivor Gabon: HTF Top 10 Challenge: ***WINNER(S) AND PRIZE POSTED HERE *** (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
LIST OF ENTRANTS and their scores-WINNER(s) in red- as of: 12/14/08
(order of no significance)

44.0 Mike Frezon
32.5 NYSandy*
51.0 RAF*
40.0 AnthonyC
42.0 jmarsh98
50.0 Kevin Stewart
33.5 Patrick Sun*
35.5 TonyD
33.0 Dheiner
57.5 SuzanneB
32.5 mike caronia
46.5 Matt^Brown

*Note: Those in brown are HTF moderators or relatives and are not eligible for the prize package, just the prestige. Therefore, nine members will be competing for "the goodies."

LINK TO CURRENT EXCEL SPREADSHEET HERE
(Shows tabulation of scoring - requires MS Office or spreadsheet displayer to view)

THE FINAL FOURTEEN SURVIVORS
(order of eviction noted in blue)

Ace 11.5
Bob 01
Charlie 09
Corrine 07
Crystal 06
Dan 11.5
Danny (GC) 14
Jessica (Sugar)03
Kelly 13
Ken05
Marcus 10
Matty04
Randy 08
Susie02

Survivor:Gabon (Season 17) will be starting on Thursday September 25, 2008 at 8:00pm EDT. We will be hosting another HTF Top Ten Challenge here. The official rules are posted below. While you are waiting for the start of the contest please take some time to add a "placeholder" to this thread so that I can begin to set things up. Remember, these "placeholders" are for informational purposes only and do not obligate you to join. Nor does the position of the placeholder indicate any advantage in this contest - as long time participants already know. It's just helpful to get a handle on how many possible entrants we might have this year.

Here are a couple of links that might be of interest.

1. For newcomers and those who might want to refresh themselves regarding how these contests play out, look at this thread from an earlier contest in this format.

2. Discuss Survivor #17: Gabon in general (and not any contest related issues) this thread has already started.

THE RULES:

We are announcing our HTF Top Ten Challenge for Survivor: Gabon which debuts on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:00 pm EDT. Here's how it works in a nutshell. There are supposedly 18 entrants listed at the Official CBS Survivor:Gabon site. Their names are:

(order of eviction noted in blue if they didn't make the final fourteen listed above)

Ace
Bob
Charlie
Corine
Crystal
Dan
Danny (GC)
Gillian 17
Jacquie 15
Jessica (Sugar)
Kelly
Ken
Marcus
Matty
Michelle 18
Paloma 16
Randy
Susie

Instead of asking you to pick "blindly" we won't open the competition until several episodes have aired. This way all entrants have a chance to "handicap" their choices since experience has shown that the bios and other information on several web sights can be misleading at times. There is no substitute for seeing the particupants in person and in the field.

The contest will officially open on Thursday, October 9, 2008. At that time you will be asked to submit a list of your top ten entrants (out of a pool of the remaining contestants.) Entries will close before 8pm EDT on October 16, 2008. The choice of dates is not arbitrary. Right after October 16th I will be leaving for Hollywood to participate in the HTF L.A. event and it will become inconvenient to set up the final listing for the pool while on the road. Additionally, the timing allows everyone to see a few episodes before finalizing their lists. If everything goes according to schedule you will probably be picking from a pool of 14 remaining contestants - although this could change if there are any surprises or CBS scheduling shifts.

Here are the more formal rules:
  • Only ONE entry per member.
  • List your top ten in numerical order (1-10). Please use the names as listed on the roster above.
  • Your list must be unique. No duplicate lists allowed. For duplicate lists, first submission gets that list.
  • Once you submit a list, it is FINAL. No edited lists are allowed (unless your original list is invalid due to a mistake or a duplication.)
  • Scoring is as follows: You are assigned 1 point for each position that your prediction is away from the final position of each contestant. For example, if you predict a contestant to come in 3rd and he or she comes in 7th you get 4 points. If that contestant comes in 12th you get 9 points. A 2nd place finish gets you 1 point. And so forth.
  • Lowest total points wins (with a score of 0 points being the best possible score.) The current "record" is 9.0 points by Dheiner.
  • In the event of a tie the contest winner will be the entrant who was the fewest spots away from picking the winner. If it's still a tie, then we'll move down the list and determine who was closest to predicting the second spot, and so on, until the tie is eventually broken.
Entries close at 8:00p.m. EDT on Thursday, October 16, 2008. No exceptions please.

Here are a couple of words of explanation regarding this particular contest and the rationale behind the setup.
  • Since there are, according to the Survivor:Gabon web site, eighteen entrants and you are picking a top ten there will be some contestants that you will not be picking. This will not change the scoring as indicated above. You choose only ten contestants and some might not even make it to the top ten (which adds a bit more of a challenge to the contest.)
  • Survivor, as many of these reality shows, is known for its unpredictability so it is quite possible that an ousted "survivor" might return. A few years ago on American Idol 6 two contestants were voted off the same night so instead of a "5th" and "6th" position we decided to assign two "5.5" positions for the purposes of scoring. That's why the rules clearly specify the "final" position of ouster for each contestant. It's not over until it's over, and who knows what twists this season will bring? And if there are unforeseen circumstances we will make a determination that will be fair to all entrants as much as possible. (Otherwise we will return your entry fee
    htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif
    ).
  • We all know that the descriptions provided by web sites are often misleading (sometimes intentionally I often suspect to make the show more intriguing) and that there is no substitute for actually seeing the participants and listening to what comes out of their mouths. That's why I provide a bit of a preview period and the deadline won't be until the first few survivors have been eliminated. In other words, you get to see who the contestants are and have to select ten out of those remaining. This also lets us see if there are some special situations that we must take into account before making our final choices.
There are probably other things that I haven't thought of but we can deal with them as the show progresses. The one thing that I ask of all entrants (other than making sure that their list is unique) is that you follow the following format when submitting your entry (using the names from the roster listed above for clarity):

01. Survivor
02. Survivor
03. Survivor
04. Survivor
05. Survivor
06. Survivor
07. Survivor
08. Survivor
09. Survivor
10. Survivor

This will help me when I set up the spreadsheet to monitor the scoring.

Remember that you are free to start submitting your unique list anytime you want. However, realize that once submitted, it's final (unless someone else submitted the same list chronologically before you.) And it just makes sense to wait until after the October 9, 2008 show since you will know who the remaining survivors are. If you jump the gun and submit a list with someone who's voted off first or second then you are stuck with that choice. It is to your advantage to wait until close to the deadline.

Finally, in order to get some idea of how many people are interested in participating in this contest I am asking you to insert a "place holder" in this thread for now as a courtesy. This is for tabulation purposes only and doesn't mean that you get to choose first. It's still "first list submitted" in the case of duplicate lists.

Thank you, and let the games begin! (on October 9, 2008)

And for those of you who have taken the trouble to read through this entire message (and who have "survived" it!) here's a bit of "inside" information: We have been able to make an arrangement to offer the winner of this contest a prize that should make a victory a bit sweeter than just HTF bragging rights. While the exact prize for the winner is yet to be determined let's just say that it involves some HT software. The exact title(s) will be announced near the close of the contest because we are looking to provide some of the latest releases. Maybe even a surprise or two! As they say, "Film at eleven!"
htf_images_smilies_smiley_wink.gif

Incidentally, HTF moderators and their friends, yada yada yada, will not be eligible for prizes so that leaves such people only in it for the honor and glory, not the discs. If an HTF staff member or family wins then we move down to the first eligible entrant as the prize winner.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
01. Marcus
02. Charlie
03. Corrine
04. Crystal
05. Matty
06. Ace
07. Dan
08. Jessica (Sugar)
09. Ken
10. Bob
*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
1. Marcus
2. Corinne
3. Charlie
4. Ken
5. Ace
6. Sugar
7. Randy
8. Matty
9. Crystal
10. Dan

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, something urgent came up and I didn't get mine in time. Good luck to everyone. I will just enjoy the show.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

*** NO ENTRY RECEIVED BY THE DEADLINE ***

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My picks:

1. Randy (Just because he hates everyone!)
2. Jessica (Sugar)
3. Corine
4. Charlie
5. Ken
6. Crystal
7. Dan
8. Kelly
9. Marcus
10. Matty

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And because I forgot to get my selections in on time last season, I am first to make my picks this season (with the help of my wife!):

01. Charlie
02. Marcus
03. Corinne
04. Randy
05. Matty
06. Bob
07. Jessica (Sugar)
08. Ken
09. Crystal
10. Danny (GC)

Good luck everybody! :D

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok here it is.

1. Ken
2. Susie
3. Jessica (Sugar)
4. Marcus
5. Ace
6. Charlie
7. randy
8. Corine
9. Bob
10.Matty

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
01. Susie
02. Jessica (Sugar)
03. Marcus
04. Ken
05. Charlie
06. Corine
07. Ace
08. Bob
09. Matty
10. Dan

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Ah yes, Dheiner!

The holder of a most impressive winning score of just 9(!) points in an earlier HTF Top 10 Challenge. A record that will be hard to break based on the parameters.

Welcome back!

SuzanneB

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like fun!

1. Marcus
2. Crystal
3. Danny (GC)
4. Kelly
5. Matty
6. Corine
7. Ace
8. Ken
9. Bob
10. Jessica (Sugar)

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

mike caronia

Second Unit
I have no f'n idea....but I'd like Sugar to stay awhile! ha

01. Sugar
02. Susie
03. Randy
04. Marcus
05. Matty
06. Charlie
07. Ken
08. Bob
09. Ace
10. Crystal

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Sure, I'm in

1. Dan
2. Marcus
3. Corine
4. Charlie
5. Bob
6. Jessica (sugar)
7. Ace
8. Matty
9. Crystal
10. Danny (GC)

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Kevin (and any others who might not be aware of this),

Good question.

As soon as the contest "opens" for entries (the suggestion is to wait until after the October 9th show so that you don't pick someone who gets eliminated before then) you should go back to your "Placeholder" message and then edit it to include your Top Ten List. I will then register your list (I set up an Excel spreadsheet to tally things) and place an "ENTRY RECORDED" (or similar wording) tag in your message. That seems to have worked quite well in the past and we will continue this practice. In the rare event that two people choose the identical list then the one with the earliest posting of their list gets it.

Of course, you may enter at any time from right now up until the cut-off (before 8:00pm EDT on 10/16/08) but it makes sense to wait until 10/09/08 results are known.

I hope that this clarifies the process.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
Placeholder. This should be fun--I always forgot to enter before!

*** NO ENTRY RECEIVED BY THE DEADLINE ***

Dang it! Of course I read entries were due by 8:00p, but I missed the EDT. Since I live in Oregon, and it's not yet 8:00 here on the west coast, I thought I still had time! But of course, on the east coast the show has already aired and you already know who's gone home. I won't know for another 3 hours.

Had I been paying attention (and used a bit of time-shift logic!) I would have picked:

Dan
Marcus
Charlie
Ace
Jessica (Sugar)
Crystal
Matty
Bob
Corinne
Ken

Oh, well. Next time I'll enter more promptly!

Good Luck all!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Reminder: Only One More Day to submit your entries. You gotta be in it to win it!

The Management. :D

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
1.Marcus
2.Charlie
3.Crystal
4.Corine
5.Bob
6.Dan
7.Randy
8.Ken
9.Danny
10.Matty

*** ENTRY RECORDED ***

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks