What's new

Stocking up on Horror Movies (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Hey everyone...
Anyone else here stocking up on some new (to your collection at least) horror movies... to get ready for a fun-filled October?

Within the last month I bought several horror movies... most of them "Blind Buys"... most of them I got very cheap so hopefully they won't be too bad. Any opinions on any of these?...
  1. The Changeling
  2. Dead Birds
  3. The Tingler (Vincent Price)
  4. The Breed (2001)
  5. 976-Evil
  6. Pulse (1988)
  7. Crazy Eights: After Dark Horrorfest
  8. Lake Dead: After Dark Horrorfest
  9. The House Where Evil Dwells
  10. Embrace of the Vampire
  11. The Dunwich Horror
  12. Burnt Offerings
  13. Swamp Thing
  14. Scanners
  15. The Girl Who Lived Down the Lane
  16. The Invasion
  17. Skeleton Man
  18. The Willies
  19. Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge
  20. Psycho II/Psycho III/Psycho IV: The Beginning
  21. Shadow Zone: The Undead Express
That is it for this month... but I will definitely be getting a few more next month as well. So what do you say... is there any winners in the list?

Every year in October (this will be year 6) I have a Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon where I see how many horror movies and either horror TV Series eps. or Halloween eps. I can watch within the month. Last year I broke my own record when I watched 84 Horror movies and 34 Horror or Halloween TV eps.

Every year I post to different forums my thoughts on each movie/episode... and how far I get in my marathon. Is this something that would be of interest here at HTF? If so I can be sure to post here as well this year.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Im pretty sure every year a few of the guys do an Oct. horror movie challenge. I never watch enough to make me want to jump in on the challenge. Youve been here a long time, cant remember that far back? ha!

A few of your movies i have never heard of, The Willies?
The Breed isnt bad, i like Psycho II, and i have a soft spot for The Tingler. Its not good, but its fun. Swamp Thing has 2 things going for it, naked Adrienne Barbeu (sp?) bosoms, but i think they cut the scene out of the current DVD release.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
For some reason I was never much into the movie section of this forum. I always tended to stay in the TV Series section once it was created for some reason. I will be trying to fix that in the future though.

I did find out that The Willies is an Anthology Horror (several shorty stories in a movie with a wrap around story... think Cat's Eye, Creepshow) But I think it may be geared more towards younger teens/families.

I will be looking for the horror challenge this year once it comes up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
IMO "The Changeling" (1980) is one of the scariest films on the your list. It is one of those films that uses atmosphere to scare you and be sure to watch it in the dark but not alone. George C. Scott and Melvyn Douglas were in top form

Just as in "The Haunting" (1963) and "The Innocents," which are not part of your buy, you will see no blood, but as you watch it you keep looking over your shoulder for some sort of presence.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nice thread Pete.

The Dunwich Horror was really good. It is quite creepy, and well acted.

Look for a very young Talia Shire(Talia Coppola back then) a full six years before she stole people's hearts in Rocky.

I also have a recommendation.
Shock Waves(1976) starring Peter Cushing. I don't think I'll see as many Halloween flicks as you during the month of October, but I do love horror movie marathons, and Shock Waves is a staple film for me
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh yea, i love Shock Waves too!

One of those CBS Late Night Movies that disappeared for YEARS before it came to DVD.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looks like a good list! Be sure to join in on the SCARY MOVIE CHALLENGE if it happens this year! the watching numbers get scary, well into the hundreds, so your in good marathon company. :D

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Sounds like fun! The best I ever did was 84 movies. But that is because I also do horror TV Series eps (Supernatural, Friday the 13th: The Series [this year!] and so on) As well as Halloween episodes of any TV series (Roseanne, The Simpsons, Home Improvement... or any other show). So that cuts down on the numbers of movies for me a little. :P

But I will definitely look forward to joining in. :cool::emoji_thumbsup:

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I was just searching the forum for the past years Scary Movie Challenge.. but had no luck... just wanted to look over how you all did it before to get an idea what to expect. Can anyone point me to a previous thread?

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks Russel...
Horror is my absolute favorite genre. I am always watching horror movies. And I am really preparing for this year's marathon. I have been abstaining from horror for quite a while now... and will not watch another until October 1st! The Last horror movie I watched was on July 27th That means I am now 49 days horror free... so I am planning on hitting it pretty hard this year! :P

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The Changeling is one of the best scary movies ever made, imo.However I recomended it to a self proclaimed 'horror' movie fan and it left him cold. I later realized he wasn't a horror fan so much as a slasher movie fan so that's probably why. Changeling is pretty much bloodless.

During the DD 20% off sale in June, I bulked up on horror titles-off the top of my head I picked up
The Amicus Collection (The Beast Must Die, Asylum, And Now The Screaming Starts)
The House That Dripped Blood
Trilogy Of Terror
Who Ever Slew Auntie Roo
Hammer House Of Horror
Cabinet Of Caligari
Night Of The Sorcerers
Count Yorga dbl Feature
The Sentinel
The Car
Lady In White
Chamber Of Horrors

I would defintely recommend the Amicus anthology titles like House That Dripped Blood, Asylum, Tales From The Crypt. Just watched HTDB for the first time a couple weeks back and loved it.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
I agree with the other recommendations for "The Changeling." I bought it recently after reading an online post saying it would appeal to those who liked "The Orphanage." That included me. I think "The Changeling" is a good, atmospheric ghost story.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Good titles. I love the Amicus pictures. The Beast must Die, and Asylum are great. My Brother and I used to watch this horror show in the early 80's called Son of Svengoolie. It aired late Saturday nights, and played everything from the Hammer horror films to Japanese giant monster movies like Gamera. We really loved Who Ever Slew Auntie Roo. One of my favorite horror movie memories.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. I'm glad to own it on dvd.

Why don't tv stations have late night monster movies anymore? I miss that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks