Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS' Worst Week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 11 2008 - 08:08 AM

It starts the 22nd and i think it looks hilarious.. The promo with the boyfriend in the trashbag diaper had me laughing outloud.. No one pulls of grumpy, yet hilarious Dad like Kurtwood Smith (Red from That 70s Show)

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 01:05 AM

You know, I was wondering what good excuse the show would have for the lead to wear a plastic diaper, and as it turns out, there really wasn't any. As a matter of fact, there were numerous instances where the characters did things that made no sense other than to make the gags work.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot, and out of Worst Week, Mother, and Men, I'd have to say my wife and I laughed the most and the loudest to Worst Week.

I'm not sure if they can keep the density going (you could have fashioned three episodes of any other show from the setup gags they had in the pilot), but if they can jam pack as much stuff in future episodes, I'll keep overlooking the obvious contrivances.

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 01:10 AM

Not sure if I want to devote much time to watch a walking punching bag, didn't find much of the pilot episode all that funny or clever.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 23 2008 - 01:20 AM

I didn't really find it funny. I agree that a half hour of watching some poor guy being tortured isn't really entertainment. I can only hope that they tone his bad luck down a bit.

The whole part about him taking the drunk coworker home was just wrong on so many levels. The way the scene ended should mean that he is going to get arrested and get fired because of what the "victim" thought was happening. Nobody would buy his excuse and reasoning for being naked in a drunk girls home.

But they probably won't even mention it again.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted September 23 2008 - 02:14 AM

I thought the show was funny and it had me laughing a number of times. The problem was it was slap stick, or stupid funny. It was a bunch of gags not a well written show. If last night was a typical show, it'll wear itself out very quickly.

#6 of 37 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,676 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 23 2008 - 05:24 AM

I was looking forward to this show, but found it didn't really hold my interest. The guy is such an inept, spineless doofus that I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

The timeslot is also not working for me as the only other CBS Monday comedy I watch is "The Big Bang Theory." I was hoping this would be on at 8:30, but by the time 9:30 rolls around, I'm long gone and into some other show (or football).
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 09:16 AM

I'm liking the timeslot, i already have too much going on from 8-9

I would say Sam is a doofus but a loveable one, you cant help but feel sorry for the guy...i definitely laughed out loud when he peed on the goose.... .I'll be watching the next episode, i really hope they can keep the momentum going...

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 24 2008 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
I can only hope that they tone his bad luck down a bit.

Somewhat-off Week?
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 24 2008 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_B
I'm liking the timeslot, i already have too much going on from 8-9

I would say Sam is a doofus but a loveable one, you cant help but feel sorry for the guy...i definitely laughed out loud when he peed on the goose.... .I'll be watching the next episode, i really hope they can keep the momentum going...

Other than putting the candle down in the wrong place, I don't really recall him venturing into Doofus territory. Everything that happened to him was just normal stuff that happens to everyone during the course of their lives. It's just that it's all happening to him in an extremely short period of time.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   RickGr

RickGr

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 03:15 PM

Ben Stiller he is not.
Rick

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
Somewhat-off Week?

I am not sure what that means. Is it a question to me?
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 03:26 PM

What's less than a "worst" week? A Somewhat-off week.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,042 posts

Posted September 24 2008 - 03:31 PM

Oh, ok. Guess that went right over my head. Posted Image
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 25 2008 - 01:40 AM

Quote:
Everything that happened to him was just normal stuff that happens to everyone during the course of their lives.

Yeah, I've lost track of the number of times I've ended up naked in the apartment of a drunk chick I didn't want to sleep with and ended up improvising a garbage bag loin-cloth and taking a cab to my future in-law's house in the middle of the night. Posted Image I hate when that happens. Posted Image

Let's review:

Not blowing off the party and pissing off the woman you've just a) impregnated and b) asked to marry you. (In that order.) Doofus squared.

Talking to drunk chick at party with girlfriend on the phone - dumb. (A smart guy would have hung up, lost the drunk chick, called the girlfriend back and pretended it was a dropped call. He wouldn't have stood there waiting around for the situation to get worse.)

Staying as late at party as he did - dumb.

Getting into the cab with the drunk girl. Dumb. Why even go there? Why even take the risk? Put her in her own cab, hail (or call) another one for yourself. (BTW, what happened to her car and the car she backed into? Did Sir Galahad call a tow truck? Report the accident? Leave her insurance information on the windshieild of the other car?)

Showering at the girl's apartment - incredibly dumb. Also pointless. His clothes were still going to be vomit-stained and his pants and jacket weren't washable. So he was still going to have to go back to his place to change unless he wanted to show up at the future in-laws in a nice vomit-encrusted outfit.

Not even noticing there are no towels in the bathroom - dumb.

The only reason any of this stuff happened in the show is because the plot would have come to a screeching halt if he hadn't. None of them were motivated by character or rooted in plausibility (unless the character is just supposed to be incredibly stupid, in which case one wonders how he even has a job.) No, everything just happened to set up the next joke. It is the comedy version of what Roger Ebert calls "the idiot plot", the one where everyone has to act like an idiot the whole movie would fall apart the first time did something smart like call the cops or not go into the spooky old house alone.

I can't comment further, because right at the point where he entered the parent's house in his plastic diaper I realized I had no interest in or sympathy for any of the characters, least of all the lead, and simply didn't care what happened next or what he said. Oh, I forgot - I did stick around long enough to hear his start his lame-ass lie about going to some guy's apartment. Because there's no chance the drunk girl's story will ever get back to the girlfriend and of course there's not going to be any problem with his alibi friend like the guy going straight from the party to the airport for a trip out of the country or being in the morning paper because he was arrested for DUI.

Didn't laugh once - in part because I'd seen all of the parts that were even mildly amusing 100 times already thanks to the non-stop promos for the show. But mostly because I don't generally find stupid to be funny. I usually give a new show that seems appealing a couple of weeks to find its feet, but now that I've seen half an episode instead of just the snippets in the ads, it is clear that they're going for a style of comedy that just doesn't appeal to me. So I didn't hesitate to stop the recording and blow it off my DVR's hard drive. YMMV.

Regards,

Joe

#15 of 37 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,676 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 25 2008 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaLauenstein
Everything that happened to him was just normal stuff that happens to everyone during the course of their lives.
Yeah, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wear an improvised plastic diaper and I pee on a goose 2 or 3 times a week. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted September 25 2008 - 06:48 AM

I just can't see this show lasting. Its like a never ending Ben Stiller movie. How many episodes can they keep having bad stuff happen to one guy. The idea works better as a movie. Where out of the blue. One guy has a bunch of bad things happen.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted September 26 2008 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGr
Ben Stiller he is not.
But this show reminded me why I was not a fan of "Meet the Parents"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
The only reason any of this stuff happened in the show is because the plot would have come to a screeching halt if he hadn't. None of them were motivated by character or rooted in plausibility (unless the character is just supposed to be incredibly stupid, in which case one wonders how he even has a job.) No, everything just happened to set up the next joke. It is the comedy version of what Roger Ebert calls "the idiot plot", the one where everyone has to act like an idiot the whole movie would fall apart the first time did something smart like call the cops or not go into the spooky old house alone.
Exactly. Considering all this, credit has to go to the talent of the cast and producers. Despite how much the "idiot plot" annoys me in movies, I stayed mildly interested long enough to watch the whole half hour of "Worst Week."
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 26 2008 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've lost track of the number of times I've ended up naked in the apartment of a drunk chick I didn't want to sleep with and ended up improvising a garbage bag loin-cloth

Quote:
Yeah, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wear an improvised plastic diaper

I guess great minds really do think alike. Posted Image

Joe
My Home Theater

My DVD Collection

Home Theater Forum Rules

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted September 29 2008 - 08:47 AM

Season 2 of the BBC version starts on BBC America on October 19. Looking on The Worst Week of My Life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it seems that most of the US pilot was directly taken from part of the first episode of 3-episode The Worst Christmas of My Life which followed two series of 7 episodes each. I think this concept is better suited to a short series. I can't see this holding up for a whole US season.

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted September 30 2008 - 08:43 AM

Based upon last nights episode, this series is not long for this earth. It was terrible.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow