-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Psapp's "The Camel's Back"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 09 2008 - 05:57 AM

I don't know how many of you good people listen to Psapp or are even aware of them (quick summary: theme to "Grey's Anatomy"; song used in Disaronno "twins" ad), but they have a new album coming out Oct. 27 called "The Camel's Back." That's Oct. 27 in Europe and/or Japan, unfortunately. If you're in the US, you won't get it until January unless you import.

Here's a first look at the cover art, along with a review:

Quote:
Psapp: The Camel's Back (Domino)

15:03 | Thursday September 4, 2008

By Owen Lawrence

Psapp are a rare band, odd in lots of ways. They manage to keep the electronica cognoscenti amused with their intricate production and the pop crowd happy with their irresistible hooks. Their previous album Tiger, My Friend was a classic in its genre and firmly established them as a band to watch.

It seems things took a rather dark turn after that for the duo (Carim Classman and Galia Durant), and this their third album was the first to be made in the spotlight with the weight of expectation hanging over proceedings.

They should not have worried though, The Camel’s Back is an absolute triumph. The quirks and stylistic touches remain, but they are delivered with new confidence and maturity.

There is a sense that all the difficulties that surrounded the album's gestation has resulted in the duo stepping outside of their comfort zone and pushing their sounds and ideas further than ever before.

Part Like Waves is a good example of this fresh approach, where the Psapp of old would have delivered the song over rickety beats and cheap keyboards now there is added orchestration and layers and layers of vocal harmonies that swoop and soar.

That’s not to say that the band have lost their intimacy. Title track The Camel’s Back is a beautiful lo-fi lament, and Screws is a tingle-inducing piano ballad.

And forthcoming single The Monster Song (November 3) is the sort of song which can change the course of a band's career, being closest the duo have come to a straight-up pop hit.

Psapp have always existed in a world of their own, but their third album has made this world more accessible, appealing and fun than ever before.

Music Week - Psapp: The Camel's Back (Domino)

Posted Image

Psapp singer Galia Durant does all of the artwork, and this one is very nice IMO. Their albums usually have happy cats all over them. The silhouettes in the background appear to be impaled cat heads. Ouch.

Here's the record label's "The Camel's Back" page.

Track listing:

1. I Want That
2. Part Like Waves
3. The Camel's Back
4. Fickle Ghost
5. The Monster Song
6. Somewhere There Is A Record Of Our Actions
7. Marshrat
8. Fix It
9. Mister Ant
10. Screws
11. Homicide
12. Parker

#2 of 2 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 11 2008 - 06:02 PM

I think I'm the lone fan here, but I'll keep the thread going anyway. Here's the first video from the new album:

Psapp - The Monster Song

You can hear Part Like Waves at their MySpace page. I Want That was there, but they took it down.