What's new

Where is "The Lucy Show"? (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Shouldn't we have heard something by now? I thought Season 1 would be out considering "I Love Lucy" has been complete even with a "Complete Series" set for almost a year now. Are they not even planning to release it anymore? Just wondering if anyone knows what's up with this show. There are obviously fans out there who want to buy it. I mean, it's Lucy afterall.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, yeah, but I don't believe anything until it's verified on TVShowsonDVD.com.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I appreciate the confidence. For the record, neither Gord nor I claim to be the be-all-and-end-all of TV-on-DVD knowledge...but we sure do try our best.

I like the guys at SitcomsOnline, and I respect their efforts, but there have been previous times when information like this that they posted did not pan out. On the other hand, the same could be said for info we've posted that didn't pan out.

Also, I have to admit that their column called "TV Series On DVD" seems a bit too close to our own site name.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
However, I suppose there aren't too many variations on how to word that sort of thing.

And one more thing on the record: Gord and I have asked both people at the studio, and our "independent industry sources", about what SitcomsOnline posted, trying to get confirmation of it so we could feel confident in passing it on at our own site. Nobody, but NOBODY responded to our inquiries. I thought I recalled that one person might have, but I just checked and found no records of a reply sent. And I try hard to keep ALL e-mails, forever. So my conclusion is that my memory is off, and nobody ever did reply.

We're not sure what that means. Does it mean that something IS happening, and they don't want to tip their hand yet? Does that mean something IS NOT happening, and they are embarrassed to say so? Does it mean that a decision hasn't been made yet, and so it's the wrong time to go on the record? Does it mean that they don't like us any more and don't want to talk to us? We just don't know.

However, no one would be happier than I am if the info at SitcomsOnline turns out to be accurate. But right now, I can't say that it is or it isn't.

Sorry, that probably wasn't helpful. But at least you guys know what I know.

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
Thanks David

We certainly appreciate your update of what you know. Everyone should keep writing to CBS/Paramount.

I am also extremely worried that if "The Lucy Show" does in fact get an official release that CBS will use music replacements just as they have done for ALL of their other classic TV releases. If that happens I just hope and plead to our loyal fans that they do not boycott the title on this ground. Successful sales of a season one release are absolutely crucial or we most certainly will not have the opportunity to see any more from the beloved Ms. Carmichael and in COLOR no doubt. The music unions are simply not making it easy on all of our favorite shows and especially since the studios want to clear the music in perpetuity. I also would venture to say that the restoration of 30 episodes is not a cheap feat in and of itself.

If you have already written to CBS, please write again. And if you have not written to them, what are you waiting for?! They need to hear from all of the loyal consumers who will make their investment on the restoration and clearance worth their while. Let them know you want to purchase an official beautifully restored and unaltered version of “The Lucy Show” with all of its music intact.

Send your letters to:
CBS Home Entertainment

[ Oh, no. No personal information, or attempts to "flood" individual workers and/or their phones.
Especially now nothing happened that was wrong in the first place.
Personal info removed by moderator. Do not post again! ]

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. own this show. Shout! Factory licensed only 24 episodes and they jacked up the asking price after Shout! wanted more.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I never understand these estates who, because they can't get the outrageous prices they want, end up with nothing instead of lowering their asking price.

Isn't something better than nothing?

Do they think some better offers are going to come along?

I read just yesterday that some company was all ready to release a restored kinescope of the 1956 version of Peter Pan and at the last minute had to cancel it because one of the estates of one of the writers decided to hold out for more money.

It's amazing how greedy some people can be with something they didn't even create, but only inherited.

As for the comment above that CBS has always used music replacements on their DVDs -- I don't think there were any for I Love Lucy, were there?

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
The "higher asking price" by the Arnaz estate is untrue. Lucie Arnaz had leased "Here's Lucy" to Paul Brownstein for distribution. The issue was that Shout factory did not want to work with Brownstein again, leaving the series in limbo until Brownstein's hold is up. Thankfully the agreement ends soon.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Does that mean that the rights revert back to Lucie Arnaz? Is it possible that she will license out to Shout! independently? Surely, she would want to continue her mother's legacy by making another of her shows visible in the public eye.

As for "The Lucy Show", I hope we see it in 2009. They are sitting on what could turn out to be their biggest seller since "I Love Lucy".

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm not so sure Lucie Arnaz is all that interested in her mother's legacy.

She was the co-star of "Here's Lucy," and that's probably why it's of interest to her. How else would she stay in the public eye?

She and her brother authorized this book called "The Lucy Book," which goes through her mother's television career in chronological order. Although everyone, especially poor Lucille Ball herself, comes in for major criticism, every reference to Lucie and Desi, Jr. is about how beautiful and talented they are. It gets really nauseating after a while.

Anyone who didn't know better, but who happened to read that book, would come away thinking that Lucie Arnaz was vastly more beautiful and talented than Lucille Ball -- which calls for a big :laugh:.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Oh, I didn't know that. Hmmm, it's too bad because Lucille Ball sure left a major legacy behind. Someone should look after it. I mean, we have endless products from ILL but her other stuff seems left for dead. It doesn't make sense.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One issue that may delay Paramount releasing the show is the plethora of DVD releases of the 30 PD episodes out in the market. Most are from '66-'67, with one B/W episode from 1962. But on the other hand, the studio is finally getting past the PD issue with both The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. So, I think a Lucy Show release is inevitable. Besides, all but the first season is in color. Lucy was smart enough to see the possibilities of color TV in 1963 (apparently color reruns would generate a bigger profit), though the show itself would be broadcast in B/W on CBS until the fall of 1965.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount would love to get the show out, but at the same time it is a "lesser" Lucy product to them since they also own "I Love Lucy". Word has it that the major obstacle for "The Lucy Show" is astronomical music costs. Paramount has been stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. The music problem with the Lucy show is grim. Each season gets progressively more and more music heavy and contains more guest stars singing. Unfortunately the later seasons are seen as less desirable, so potentially the sales will be going down season by season as the music costs go up season by season. Because a lot of the music is integral to the episodes, they would probably have to look at replacing the underscoring to make a release financially feasible. The most important thing we can do is to let them know that we will support a release and that we want a quality product. Thelucyshowdvd.com

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

It's funny how her fans will keep insisting what a smart business woman she was. All the books on her, and she herself in interviews, have said that she knew nothing about business -- she only did what she was advised to do (basically, she signed the papers they told her to sign.)

Lucy has always been my favorite actress; I don't need her to also be some kind of business genius (which Desi Arnaz probably was, by the way.)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
If Lucy wasn't a smart businesswoman,atleast she was smart enough to have the right people around her!

Even though STAR TREK didn't really make money till syndication - They did have "Mission Impossible" and "Mannix".

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Nope, still can't give her credit. Those people around her were the guys Desi Arnaz hired. And they weren't necessarily the "right" people.

"Mission: Impossible" was also a money loser till syndication.

When Lucy started her Lucille Ball Productions, to produce "Here's Lucy," she put relatives in all the key positions. The result was a weak show which went lower in the ratings every year.

The dumbest, tightest thing Lucy ever did -- which Desi never would have done -- was not pay and give credit to Jess Oppenheimer for creating the "Lucy" character. Instead of doing that, they changed the character from a clever but scatterbrained schemer to someone who was either incredibly stupid one week or incredibly obnoxious the next (usually both), and she was never as funny or endearing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks