-

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor: Gabon - Season 17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
312 replies to this topic

#1 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 08 2008 - 04:27 PM

The next season of Survivor starts September 25th @ 8pm.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed the ads/teases on CBS...but they have been extensively promoting the fact that, for the first time, Survivor will air in high-def! Posted Image

Except...that all the ads for the show I've seen have aired in standard-def--even during HD programs. Posted Image

Crazy.

I am really looking forward to seeing this show in HD! Posted Image

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 313 phil-w

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 04:44 PM

HD is long overdue, and I am extremely excited about the new season!! Lets hope there is lots of good eye candy. Posted Image

#3 of 313 Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted September 08 2008 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I've been complaining to my wife with each new season, "It's STILL not in HD?!"

Better late, than never though!

Now, if we could just get the people behind Amazing Race to follow suit!!!

#4 of 313 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 09 2008 - 12:48 AM

Yes indeedie! I'm counting the days.

I usually watch SURVIVOR streaming off cbs.com. Hopefully they'll have the same quality as ABC has with LOST in HD streaming. Beautiful stuff!
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#5 of 313 Martino

Martino

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted September 09 2008 - 03:38 AM

While I’m glad the show is in HD – there are certain things I am not looking forward too…

Such as…

There is always at least 1 contestant who comes up with strange bites/sores that just seem to get infected and/or extremely gross. Last year there were two contestants who were removed from the game due to disgusting infections. I don’t want to see these in Hi-Def, or any def for that matter.

For every hottie, there is someone who you just don’t want to see in a swim suit. Hi Def will just make this worse.

The famous “gross food” challenge – close ups on things that should never be eaten will look all the worse.

Don’t forget, these people go days without any hygiene at all – and there are lots of comments on how bad they all smell….well, with the HD image, we can see all of this smelly grime…

#6 of 313 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino
The famous “gross food” challenge – close ups on things that should never be eaten will look all the worse.

.…
Posted Image I. Can't. Wait.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#7 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 09 2008 - 01:50 PM

The beautiful exotic scenery (and, yes, the eye candy) should more than make up for any of those potential problems! Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here's where you can see/read-about all the cast.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#8 of 313 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 12:00 AM

Lovely. I'm excited.

*cold showers*

#9 of 313 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 02:40 AM

They definitely loaded up on the eye candy for their first season in HD. Posted Image

By the way, is it just me or does the second girl on the top row look EXACTLY like Karen Allen in her "Raiders" years?
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#10 of 313 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M

By the way, is it just me or does the second girl on the top row look EXACTLY like Karen Allen in her "Raiders" years?

I dunno, I haven't made it up that far yet!! (jk)
Yes, she does.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#11 of 313 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 03:38 AM

I see that Karen Allen! Good call. They could be sisters.

Bottom right girl looks a little like Diane Lane...God, how I love Diane Lane!

Posted Image

#12 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2008 - 04:23 AM

Hey, hey! This ain't no "tribute" thread! Posted Image

Anyone who gets the "TV Guide Network" can watch a one-hour Survivor: Gabon preview show hosted by Pavarti Shallow.

On the one hand, the video quality sucks and it is sandwiched between the top of the screen and the scrolling TV Guide listing for your local cable company. OTOH, you get a little head-start on learning the cast members and there is more than the occasional shot of tribe activity in which you see cameras, boom mics, etc. Those are the most interesting moments. A lot of Jeff Probst material is included--including a tour of the tribal council set. Pavarti sucks as the host(ess) of the piece. She is as wooden as can be. They stuck her at the LA Zoo to give the impression of "wildlife" behind her as she taped the stand-ups.

All in all a worthwhile hour if you are into the show.

it is scheduled to air once a day at least for the next week.

#13 of 313 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,417 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
I see that Karen Allen! Good call. They could be sisters.

Bottom right girl looks a little like Diane Lane...God, how I love Diane Lane!

Posted Image

You confused me, sir. I assumed this was a shot of the contestant, and I thought, "by God, she looks EXACTLY like Diane Lane! Dead Ringer! Ohh...."

Yet more fake boobs (in hi-def, no less). Is Hef driving the casting decisions with MB? "I'm looking for slightly fug women with obviously fake boobs. That's my type."

Posted Image

I can't watch TVG channel. They could show news read by topless women, and I still can't handle the guide taking up the screen. The worst. For masochists only. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2008 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo
I can't watch TVG channel. They could show news read by topless women, and I still can't handle the guide taking up the screen. The worst. For masochists only. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You forgot the mention the VHS-like video quality--bleeding colors, auras, diagonal video noise (in TWO directions!) and such. Really ugly. But the content was interesting.

#15 of 313 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,726 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo
You confused me, sir. I assumed this was a shot of the contestant, and I thought, "by God, she looks EXACTLY like Diane Lane! Dead Ringer! Ohh...."...
I gave you that nice little fantasy.... Bright side! Bright side! Posted Image

#16 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 11 2008 - 03:26 AM

Here are short video interviews with each castaway from Entertainment Weekly.

They seem to be really pushing "Sugar" (real name Jessica Kiper) the "pin-up" model with ties as an actress to Gilmore Girls. She's the first girl posted above (in the leopard skin bikini).

Posted Image

#17 of 313 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 04:27 AM

I've just returned from Denver (CEDIA 2008) and will be putting up a Survivor:Gabon - Season 17 HTF Top 10 Challenge in the next couple of days. Same format as in years past (as soon as I can find a copy of last season's rules). Look for the thread (it will be a "sticky") and add your own placeholder if you wish to compete.

Stay tuned....

Edit: The contest thread is up and running HERE (if you missed the link in the text above)
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#18 of 313 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,214 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 14 2008 - 12:33 PM

Robert: When you get things set up...share a link to your thread here! Posted Image

=======================

I finally saw a Gabon promo last night...in HD. I thinking I was watching a DVRed episode of CSI.

BUT...the video was anything BUT HD! The promo was 16:9...but the video containing interview snippets from the Survivors was stretched and crappy.

I don't get it. Posted Image

#19 of 313 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 02:38 PM

Mike,

The contest thread is up and running HERE. In addition, I've provided a link from that site back to this thread for general Survivor (non-contest) related discussions.

Take care.
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

#20 of 313 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I finally saw a Gabon promo last night...in HD. I thinking I was watching a DVRed episode of CSI.

BUT...the video was anything BUT HD! The promo was 16:9...but the video containing interview snippets from the Survivors was stretched and crappy.

I don't get it. Posted Image

Mike,

A lot of stations really cheap out on the promos. They use pseudo-HD or just plain 16:9 SD to give the illusion of HD in commercials. Let's hope that the "real" thing is in the type of HD that CBS is capable of (I'd venture a guess that it will be).

Some day marketeers will realize that HD really sells. I often find that the SD commercials in HD shows are a real turn off and I routinely skip them with a DVR "zip-zip" whereas I have to admit that I'm often captivated by some of the beautiful HD ads that crop up on occasion. In an industry where the medium is truly the message why don't the execs realize this? HD has brought a new level of viewing sophistication to the public and this should not go unnoticed by Madison Avenue. The ones who don't get it will probably be working elsewhere before too many more seasons in my opinion.

Sidebar: My brother is an executive at Showtime and I've pointed out to him on several occasions that Showtime routinely shows promos for their programs in the wrong aspect ratio whereas the shows themselves are correctly displayed and actually quite well done (technically). He has mentioned this to those involved in such matters more than once and has been greeted with either blank stares or a lack of understanding of the issue. As you would say...

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

RAF
["PITA" since 1942]

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow