Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Projects for Van?

Van Ling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Greg Mariotti

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi Van. Just wondering what projects you are currently working on? Anything that you can share with us?

thanks
Greg Mariotti
www.cameroncrowe.com

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted November 24 2009 - 04:42 AM

Being our guy on the inside for Lightstorm/Cameron projects, have you heard anything about a Strange Days on Blu-Ray? I know it's a little too low profile for the studios to spring for a Van Ling special treatment, but I'm wondering if you heard any ramblings regarding a transfer. All we have is right now for this underappreciated gem is a non-anamorphic DVD. Such a shame.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Van Ling

Van Ling

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted November 29 2009 - 01:20 PM

I really don't have any news on any of this, and frankly what the studio or Lightstorm does, I don't know unless they tell me.  But maybe now that Kathryn Bigelow's latest film The Hurt Locker has gotten a lot of great critical praise, Fox will try to capitalize on Strange Days and give it some love.  Kathryn is a very unique and talented director, and has been underappreciated for a long time.

V

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Producer

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:14 AM

I believe Strange Days was released in Europe late last year, i think it was either a French or German release and first reviews weren't positive as regards image quality. Mind you i don't put much faith in reviews and like to watch the film myself but it might be worth checking Amazon if you want to try importing from Europe.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 6 ONLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 987 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted March 19 2010 - 08:43 AM

German release. The surrounds were swapped on the original language track, and the PQ is OK, it's the one transfert from the european anamorphic DVD from 2001.

I don't know, but personaly, I would vote for a law against using transferts more than 5 years old in HD. It looks, for sure, better than it ever did, but it's far from the best any recent transfert can afford. 

#6 of 6 ONLINE   HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 987 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted February 12 2011 - 12:55 AM

Anyone owning an iPad, there's a great Van Ling interview in the free issue of HDvision magazine for iPad, available to download in english language here

http://itunes.apple....=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

If you are outside the US, the magazine is available in your local App Store, just search it in iTunes.