-

Photo

Is there a dvd of SPIRITS OF THE DEAD in English?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Eric Ten

Eric Ten

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 11:54 AM

Does anybody know if there is a dvd version of SPIRITS OF THE DEAD with TOBY DAMMIT in English? Does anybody own the IMAGE Ent. disc?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted September 09 2008 - 03:14 AM

I found at Amazon-UK the following:

Amazon.co.uk: Spirits Of The Dead [1968]: Jane Fonda, Peter Fonda, Brigitte Bardot, Alain Delon, Terence Stamp, Salvo Randone, Roger Vadim, Louis Malle, Federico Fellini: DVD

I don't know if it will help.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jay Gregory

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 05:25 AM

I rented the Image disk from Netflix many yrs ago, long before the HMV release was available.

If I remember correctly, the "Toby Dammit" portion included the English soundtrack, but remained problematic because the subtitles were forced and actually translated the French (or Italian?) soundtrack (as opposed to the English dub.) Obviously, the dialogue differed significantly in many instances, and the presentation suffered.

I assume that the English soundtrack was also an option on the Vadim and Malle segments, but I can't remember. Maybe the Fondas did not dub their own English dialogue. Obviously, the real attraction was "Toby Dammit" with Stamp's own voice.

And I think that the English soundtrack on that Image disk was taped off a TV broadcast. It was obviously inferior to the quality of the French soundtrack.