Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can VGA be better than HDMI?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted September 06 2008 - 07:19 PM

I know for a fact that my Vga connection to my monitor looks worlds better than Component hook up(for movies, and video games in HD, and SDVD).

I seriously don't want to shell out $50 for a HDMI cable when I feel it might not even be an improvement.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 06 2008 - 09:13 PM

HDMI is different than component, so you should see a difference with both VGA and HDMI. But hdmi is digital and vga is optical. Technically hdmi should be better, because there is no converting being done (it stays all-digital) while with vga there has to be some converting because it's optical.
And btw, there are hdmi cables for ten bucks, so you could at least give it a try.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 06 2008 - 11:20 PM

VGA is, of course, "analog" - not "optical". Posted Image And you can certainly get a quality HDMI cable without payng the idiot prices some companies charge. Try Blue Jeans Cable or RAM Electronics, both HTF advertisers.

HDMI won't necessarily look better than the other connections, though. On my system I can't really tell the difference between component and HDMI, and I always thought VGA looked worse than the other two. YMMV.

Regards,

Joe

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 12:55 AM

While VGA can handle HDTV, the selection of resolutions offered by your equipment using VGA might be more limited, such as 640x480 (DVD is 720x480) and 1024x768 (HDTV is 1280x720 or 1920x1080).

Also VGA is not copy protection compliant (HDCP compliant). In the not to distant future equipment will not deliver HDTV quality unless the path all the way to the screen is HDMI with HDCP compliance.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
VGA is, of course, "analog" - not "optical". Posted Image

Yes, I realised that some time after I posted it. Sometimes I confuse the two Posted Image.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
VGA is, of course, "analog" - not "optical". Posted Image And you can certainly get a quality HDMI cable without payng the idiot prices some companies charge. Try Blue Jeans Cable or RAM Electronics, both HTF advertisers.

HDMI won't necessarily look better than the other connections, though. On my system I can't really tell the difference between component and HDMI, and I always thought VGA looked worse than the other two. YMMV.

Regards,

Joe
Thanks Joe.
I'll check into the lower priced HDMI cables.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted September 08 2008 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Thanks Joe.
I'll check into the lower priced HDMI cables.

In addition to those two, monoprice.com has excellent cable prices as well.

Forum Nav Content I Follow