What's new

So, I washed a USB memory stick today... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
... by accident, of course. Should I just toss it (4GB capacity), or let it dry out for a few days, and then plug it into a USB port and hope the stick doesn't short-circuit the USB controller electronics on my motherboard?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
unless there was some critical info on there i would chalk it up as a loss.

if there was some critical info on there i would plug it into my least critical machine (after a couple of days sitting in direct sunlight) to see if i could pull the info. if i got lucky and got it i would still toss it after the fact.

a ten dollar usb stick is not worth destroying a hundreds of dollar machine.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is why I buy Sandisk Extreme memory. One of mine got lost at a fire scene, fell into a puddle of run off water from a hose, run over by a billion pound fire engine and worked perfectly. =)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I don't believe it will fry your system so long as you make sure it is dry. Treat it like a cell phone that has gotten wet - place it in a ziplock bag with rice or silica packets for a few days. That should assure the water is fully removed. After that I believe it is 95% likely it will work just fine.

If you are really really worried about it frying your system, then try it out first on a public computer at a library or somewhere.

cbowman92

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
Ive done this, best thing for you to do is let that baby sit for about 2-3 weeks then give it a go, mine game up no problem all data was there.

amidcars

Grip
Real Name
Nick Thompson
The best you can do is you can keep that stick under a lamp which can provide sufficient heat to your stick. make a close contact b/w the two and this would help to take away ll the moisture avaliable in the stick.

Users who are viewing this thread