Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

True Blood season 1 (HBO)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#1 of 206 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,987 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted September 06 2008 - 02:53 PM

First two episodes are up on InDemand.

It's an interesting twist on the vampire-human situation. A japanese firm invents "TruBlood" a synthetic blood that allows vampires to shed their lurker roles and come out into the public.

Some vampires appear, and try to become aprt of society; meanwhile, some people hunt vampires, apparently using thier blood as a sort of drug, and prostituting themselves to them for the experience.

Anna Paquin as a mind-reader.

Hmm. Who knows where this is going. The first episode was better then I expected, and Alan Ball (Six Feet Under) has a good track record. I'll give it a try and see what happens Posted Image

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 206 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 07:07 AM

I have a problem.

No mater what, I finish what I start. Be that a movie, tv show or book. No matter how bad it is.

That's not to say that I didn't like this show but since I started watching it, I'm in for the long haul. I liked it but it could go bad.

I still watch ER if that says anything and that pretty much sux these days.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#3 of 206 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,401 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted September 08 2008 - 07:18 AM

I watched the first episode and I thought it was ok. I will give it a few more before I pass true judgement.

Anna is always enjoyable but a few of the characters got on my nerves a little bit...best friend Tara being the main offender.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#4 of 206 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 07:31 AM

Oh I liked Tara she was funny. Did Wanda Sykes have a kid.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#5 of 206 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 03:30 PM

It was ok. Anna Paquin was pretty bad in it though, both acting and that accent. Well, all the accents were bad lol.

#6 of 206 Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted September 08 2008 - 11:10 PM

I kinda liked the debut, but I have the sinking feeling that this show could get real old REAL fast...

Didn't Buffy already cover this "attracted to a vampire" material for seven seasons (give or take a season)?
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#7 of 206 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 02:18 AM

Did the show need both vampires and mind reading? Plus I didn't care for the actor playing the vampire.

I don't know if I'll stay with it.

#8 of 206 Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,401 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted September 09 2008 - 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMel
Did Wanda Sykes have a kid.

Oh man! I was thinking that the whole time...which is probably why she annoyed me so much.
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#9 of 206 Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted September 09 2008 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
Plus I didn't care for the actor playing the vampire.

Same here. They should have used the "goth" long-haired convenience store clerk from the opening instead.

#10 of 206 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,894 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 08:49 AM

Posted Image i have the SAME PROBLEM!!! we need to start a club. TV-anonymous or somn like that. although T&A means somn else too Posted Image.

don, the point of the opening montage is that nothing is what they appear to be. u thought that that the clerk was the vampire... but it's the other guy who was =).

i think this series is going to give us a huge dose of what it means to be prejudiced against somn... anything. vampirism is just a cover for whatever that "ism" is. similar to dexter's twisted moral codes =).
-yifeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMel
I have a problem.

No mater what, I finish what I start. Be that a movie, tv show or book. No matter how bad it is.

That's not to say that I didn't like this show but since I started watching it, I'm in for the long haul. I liked it but it could go bad.

I still watch ER if that says anything and that pretty much sux these days.

#11 of 206 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 01:32 PM

There are a few hotties in the bayou, but they don't look like a casting call in LA, and they don't speak such clear English either. I'll give ep3-? a chance and see what breaks.

It's already obvious the writing borrows from 10 places and expects us to go along with quite a few assumptions about some weird future. I can go there, but it better perform past the fist 2 eps T&A.

#12 of 206 Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted September 09 2008 - 11:29 PM

Quote:
don, the point of the opening montage is that nothing is what they appear to be.

I know that Posted Image.

My point was that I would have preferred the vampire that Paquin "meets" look a little more "Goth" and a lot less "Martin Donovan."

#13 of 206 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 02:13 AM

"Did the show need both vampires and mind reading?"

I havent read the books, but supposedly its just the beginning of meeting supernatural characters (as people who have read the books already know).

For example, Ill mention one change I noticed from when I saw the pilot months back.

This is a spoiler about a character that will be shown in the future.....
When Sookie saves Bill there was a woman seen watching from nearby that is supposedly Sookies fairy godmother or something like that. The shots of her were cut from the premiere on sunday

Also it appears Michelle Forbes has landed the role of
Woman in the Woods/Maryann/ Maenad

#14 of 206 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,842 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 04:01 AM

Lots of gratuitous sex scenes...not that theirs anything wrong with that. Posted Image

Also, a few things....

-When she gets beaten up at the end. I was surprised the bar owner wasn't watching from his window or that he couldn't hear her getting beat.

-For those who read the books. With regards to getting bit by vamps during sex or drinking vampire blood by addicts. Wouldn't they turn into vampires?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#15 of 206 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,894 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 06:22 AM

yeah i was just thinking about that todd =P. what kind of vamp mythos will this series explore?

#16 of 206 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 10 2008 - 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
-When she gets beaten up at the end. I was surprised the bar owner wasn't watching from his window or that he couldn't hear her getting beat.

-For those who read the books. With regards to getting bit by vamps during sex or drinking vampire blood by addicts. Wouldn't they turn into vampires?
Your first point will eventually be answered by the series. On your second point, Charlaine Harris created her own version of vampires and rules. She of course used many existing traditions but also modified them. In her books a single bite doesn't create a vampire, come to think of it, I don't that that has been true in other versions either. There is a significant amount of effort for a vampire to make a vampire.

I read someplace or that the first season will be 12 episodes and is only the first book, Dead Until Dark. I thought the actor playing Bill was just fine and so also was Sookie. However, there was something about the episode that seemed off. I'm hoping this is a series that finds it's way after an episode or two.

I've enjoyed the books so much, that I know I'll stay interested in the series. BTW, the books are available at Audible.com and the reader is pretty good.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 206 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 10 2008 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Travale
Anna is always enjoyable but a few of the characters got on my nerves a little bit...best friend Tara being the main offender.
I have to agree here, Tara is not in the books and why they wrote her as such an asshole, I don't know. You know what's harder to believe in vampires? Tara keeping a job more than day.

As for those wanting a more traditional vampire, remember that in this world, vampires have come out of the coffin and they occupy all niches of society. Some are more traditional but many blend right in.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#18 of 206 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 02:42 PM

I believe that traditionally you have to drink the blood of the vampire who bit you for you to become one yourself.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#19 of 206 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 12:39 AM

Second episode was MUCH better than the first.

#20 of 206 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
Second episode was MUCH better than the first.

Yes it was and the preview for next week looks like it will be even better. Can't wait.

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow