-

Photo
- - - - -

General Stargate questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#21 of 129 OFFLINE   Justin Boggan

Justin Boggan

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 06:16 PM

Later seasons are a mere shell of what the series once was. Like "The Simpsons" and "The X-Files", I would recommend leaving about season 6, give or take.
The New Number 2: "Are you going to run?"
Number 6: "Like balzes. The first chance I get."
- The Prisoner

#22 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 21 2008 - 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
just wait and see. be patient =P. certain things have great rewards later on. just remember that SG-1 doesn't really get serialized until season5 and onward.

I've seen the first seven seasons. I'm just rewatching, with the plan being to pick up the seasons I haven't seen when it's time for me to do so. Posted Image

I'll stay general for the time being, but I just watched yet another episode that should have had them scrambling for the spare DHD. Another one where they had to race to dial out before the Goa'uld could gate in. There's really no way they could beat someone with a DHD. Look how Daniel can dial in on the run.

Quote:
Don't take too long. Try to get all caught up before Stargate Universe premieres.

Hopefully, the wiki info is correct and it won't air until 2009. I can be caught up by then easily. I'm watching multi episodes a night.

On that note, I can't believe the disparity in season prices. B&N has them for $49. CC has them for $39. Target has them for $19! I think that's where I'll get them.

#23 of 129 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted September 21 2008 - 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I'll stay general for the time being, but I just watched yet another episode that should have had them scrambling for the spare DHD. Another one where they had to race to dial out before the Goa'uld could gate in. There's really no way they could beat someone with a DHD. Look how Daniel can dial in on the run.
Well, you haven't seen the last two seasons of SG1 yet, but, let's just say the DHD isn't as significant as it once was for them. Here's a one word hint: :spoiler:......................................... ............................................... ASGARD.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#24 of 129 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted September 30 2008 - 01:09 AM

plus even in the beginning they are using the computer on earth as DHD, as for portable DHD, they really haven't figured it all out even on atlantis to some degree (while on land).

#25 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 30 2008 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
plus even in the beginning they are using the computer on earth as DHD

I know, but it's no substitute. When the goa'uld are trying to keep a wormhole open, and they are racing to get an outgoing wormhole to prevent it, the computer just cannot beat a DHD. They manage to do so for the show's sake, but it couldn't really be done. Daniel can dial up home in about five seconds on a DHD.

I just wish someone had said, "Hey, we have this spare DHD. Why not use it before someone decides to break out the spare stargate and use it themselves?"

#26 of 129 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,923 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 29 2008 - 12:09 AM

This seems as good a thread as any to resurrect... This weekend we finished Stargate SG1 S10 and the two movies. Whew. Good ride; sad to see it over.

So, any new movies in the works? Or do we have to switch to Atlantis for a new Stargate fix?

#27 of 129 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
Or do we have to switch to Atlantis for a new Stargate fix?

Better do it fast since the SG-A is on its last few episodes of the series.

#28 of 129 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted November 29 2008 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
So, any new movies in the works? Or do we have to switch to Atlantis for a new Stargate fix?
How about "yes" to both? Posted Image

#29 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted November 29 2008 - 08:54 AM

Dave, there's a new series in the works for next year. A movie will happen soon and I think the series follows in the fall.

I finally got to one of my favorite scenes in the entire series last night. From Ascension:

When Jack and Teal'c show up at Sam's house for pizza and Star Wars and Teal'c admits he's watched it nine times. Posted Image

And then, the conversation on the way to the car:

Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O.
Jack: Call Daniel

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 of 129 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,923 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 30 2008 - 03:22 AM

Greg, thanks for the good news on Stargate movies.

I love the humor in the series. It's the character-based, relationship oriented jokes that helped make Star Trek TNG so much fun.

#31 of 129 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,941 posts

Posted December 01 2008 - 06:21 AM

glad u liked it!!! go with atlantis! there've been 5 seasons now with a direct to DVD movie soon.

#32 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 12 2008 - 04:36 PM

What is the deal with the crappy, horrible, crappy pilot title sequence being used for all of seasons four and five on disc? They didn't really air that way, did they? If they didn't, was it the unchanged title sequence from episode two through season three?

I still don't get the reason why they don't have a DHD. In the current season I'm watching, they almost destroyed a planet and lost Teal'c in two separate incidents because the computer program didn't have the safeguards of the DHD. They borrowed the Russian DHD. Last we saw, the Antarctic DHD was in Area 51. So, why not drive down there and pick it up?

#33 of 129 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted December 12 2008 - 09:35 PM

Quote:
What is the deal with the crappy, horrible, crappy pilot title sequence being used for all of seasons four and five on disc? They didn't really air that way, did they?
Actually, yes they did. The first five seasons all originally aired that way. The opening titles you see for seasons 1 - 3 on DVD were actually made for syndication (though the episodes themselves are the same as the original Showtime airings).

Quote:
I still don't get the reason why they don't have a DHD. In the current season I'm watching, they almost destroyed a planet and lost Teal'c in two separate incidents because the computer program didn't have the safeguards of the DHD. They borrowed the Russian DHD. Last we saw, the Antarctic DHD was in Area 51. So, why not drive down there and pick it up?
It's explained in a season 6 episode that the Antarctic DHD ran out of power after it had been used a few times, indicating that it was one of the oldest in the gate network.

#34 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:04 AM

Symbiotes roasting on an Unas fire
Jaffa sniping at your nose
Cheyenne Mountain in full lockdown
And Teal'c dressed up in Murray's clothes

I think the sale is off, but I got S9, S10 and Atlantis S1 for $18 a piece at Target this weekend. Everyone else had them for about $36! Even if the sale is over, I've seen them that cheap at Target before. If anyone is looking for seasons, you might want to check there. Though, those were the only ones three Targets had.

#35 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 16 2008 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild
Actually, yes they did. The first five seasons all originally aired that way. The opening titles you see for seasons 1 - 3 on DVD were actually made for syndication (though the episodes themselves are the same as the original Showtime airings).

That makes sense. I wondered how they had footage from so late in the first season to make that montage. In fact, there might even be images from season two. I had them all placed when I was watching the early seasons, but I no longer remember.

The original intro is not bad in and of itself, but it's ultra-grainy and with very cheap-looking titles.

I'm at the end of season 5, so I should be seeing the new sequence very soon. I don't have any memory of what it looks like. I do feel like I've reached the end of really great Stargate, though. I don't think 6 with Quinn is horrible, and we have some good stuff like the earth's own spaceship, but I don't have good memories of 7. I hope I like it better this time.

#36 of 129 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted December 16 2008 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
The original intro is not bad in and of itself, but it's ultra-grainy and with very cheap-looking titles.
The problem, IMO, is that they were copy+paste'd straight from the original movie, where they made sense... but they don't really fit with SG-1, especially with the faster version of the theme music and everything. It's just jarring.

Quote:
I don't think 6 with Quinn is horrible, and we have some good stuff like the earth's own spaceship, but I don't have good memories of 7. I hope I like it better this time.
Season 7 overall is probably my least favorite of the later years of SG-1, but it does have some really good episodes to make up for the not-so-good ones.

#37 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 17 2008 - 09:06 PM

It's three months too late, but I wanted to thank Roger for the information he provided. We posted at the exact same time, so I missed it until I started rereading the thread. Posted Image

#38 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 29 2008 - 12:58 PM

Watched Prophecy last night (penultimate episode of season 6). It gets high marks at tv.com, but I don't know.

The SGC gets punk'd by a third-rate Goa'uld lackey? And, his brilliant strategy is "let them escape and wait at the gate?" Come on. SG-1 wouldn't be lame enough to let that work. Of course, stranger things have happened in real life, but I don't want to believe my fictional heroes could be taken down by a loser like Lord Mot.

Other than that, it was pretty good, which goes for the entire season. I like Jonas Quinn.

I'm nearing the end of episodes I've already seen. One more season until it's uncharted territory. I got 9 and 10 for Christmas and have 8 coming in the mail.

#39 of 129 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted December 30 2008 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'm nearing the end of episodes I've already seen. One more season until it's uncharted territory. I got 9 and 10 for Christmas and have 8 coming in the mail.
What's your plan for Atlantis? Gonna watch in line with SG-1 or save it for later?

#40 of 129 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,848 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 30 2008 - 03:18 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to follow your advice and swap them out so it'll be like the night they aired. It was SG-1 followed by Atlantis, right?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow