What's new

General Stargate questions (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've had SG-1 seasons 1 through 7 for years and loved the show when I watched it through. If DS9 is the best sci-fi show I've seen, this was the most fun. I remember season 7 being a little rocky, but the rest was great.

I recently started watching again with the intention of continuing through to the end. I expected season 1 to be a slog, but it's actually pretty good. Sure, they visited the Mongol planet, the caveman planet, the Viking planet, and that was kind of silly, but the show managed to find its footing pretty quickly. I guess that's the combination of a strong premise and really likeable lead and supporting characters who all have great chemistry together.

The question is, have I seen the best the show had to offer? I don't know how seasons 8-10 were received by fandom, so I'm wondering if it'll be something to look forward to. What about Atlantis? I haven't seen a second of that show. Is there a certain point where I need to watch a certain episode of SG-1 before I start that? Finally, is SG-1 S1-S10 and Atlantis S1-S5, and Ark of Truth and Continuum it, or are there other movies/specials I'll need to catch up with?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
There's always the original 1994 feature, but as creators Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin have adamantly maintained, their film has nothing to do with the TV series. :D

I was never a fan of the show, but still enjoy the film. I saw seasons 1 and 2 of SG-1 but couldn't get past the differences and my own silly sense of loyalty to the film's creators. Yes, I said loyalty. I loved the movies they made, well most of them anyway so I took their side so to speak.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I enjoyed Season 9 and 10 which has a different main villain but I love Farscape and it was nice to see Ben Browder and Claudia Black again. Dont watch Ark Of Truth until you have seen the series - it is the ending to the seasons basically.

Never thought Atlantis was as good as SG1, although again the chemistry between the cast vastly improves what are often variations on SG1 episodes. Some major cast members get killed off through the seasons for no apparent reason. Im sure they will argue that this was to keep the show fresh and viewers on their toes but one in particular character is lost at the start of Season 4 for what seems to me is that the character was not appealing enough to the demographic they were going for (not wanting to spoilt it for you) and to allow for the inclusion of an SG1 cast member which was just finishing its tenth season.

Continuum is pretty good standalone film, and yes thats it for now

Oh and you can start watching Atlantis after Season 7

Roger_R

Second Unit
SG-1 and Atlantis cross paths a couple of times. Chronologically the pilot of Atlantis happens right after the season 8 premiere of SG-1 (which is a 90 min episode). And then the last two episodes of SG-1's season 8 happens before the last two episodes of Atlantis' season 1.

The DVD-movie Continuum happens right after the season 5 premiere of Atlantis.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Simon. I thought I remembered some tie to the end of season 7, but it's been so long since I've seen that episode that I don't remember anything about it. I think the reason I stopped watching the show was because of the error with the one episode on the season 8 discs. I kept reading that you could either send off for a replacement or wait for new pressings, and I waited so long to make sure that I just forgot to stop waiting.

I'll look this up on my own, but I understand a new series is starting soon. I really need to get prepared so I can watch that live.

Edit:
What? :frowning:

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
For years I never watched/liked SG1. I too thought it was a cheap rip-off/extension of the movie.

But then I finally sat down and went thru the DVD's S1 - S7 and I was hooked. I thought they tied it in rather well to the movie. Sure some differences but those can be explained/rationalized very easily. I've had to suspend much more disbelief to enjoy other movies, shows and franchises.

I really like how Daniel gets so worked up when they encounter new cultures. I also love the way Jack reacts to things, especially technical stuff. And by the last couple of seasons, many of Daniel reactions and inflections had a lot of Jack in them. Like the one where they gate into a museum and the captives start complaining about something, the way Daniel says "I don't care", so Jack.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just wish they had spent some time on the "everyone speaks English" thing. The first few missions could have been difficult because of the language barrier and someone finally asks, "How do the Go'auld manage?" Teal'c could then say, "There is a device that the Go'auld carry. . . ." And, it could have been a tough mission where they had to take down a top Go'auld to get the device. Sure, then it's just Trek's universal translator, but that was a brilliant storytelling device that will always work for sci-fi.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
From my perspective, as a fan who joined in late season 1, early season 2 and then kept up with it, yes, season 1-5 are the best. Once the show moved to Sci-Fi it started to lose steam. While the Ori storyline was an interesting premise, I don't think it was ever carried out well. But, YMMV. Continuum was nice as it brought back Jack - at least a little. I think any future SG-1 movies need to have more of Jack.

Atlantis? I like it, but I don't think it's as strong as SG-1, in part, because it doesn't have a mythos to fall back on. Plus, the writers never do a good job with character development, except for Rodney. The Wraith never seem to stand out as really scary tough baddies, and too many episodes come off as rehashed SG-1 episodes. There are some bright spots - Ronan, Michael, and Todd, but it's not surprising it's getting the boot after this season.

Arild

Supporting Actor

Yes, that is all (for now).

It goes

SG-1 seasons 1 - 7
SG-1 season 8, eps 1 & 2
Atlantis pilot
SG-1 seasons 8 - 10 and Atlantis season 1 - 3 run concurrently, so you can alternate after every episode (or every disc if you're watching on DVD) for best effect. There are quite a few cross-references that won't make sense if you don't watch in order.

The Ark of Truth comes after SG-1 s10 and Atlantis s3, but before Atlantis s4. Continuum comes after the first episode of Atlantis s5.

Is this confusing at all? :D

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If I were doing it, I wouldn't keep swapping between Atlantis and SG-1 if watching on DVD. Sure there are some cross references, but I think they're minor. No more than a wink, really. It's not like episodes started on one series and finished on the other. Rather, you might get a throwaway line by a character like, "I just got back from Pegasus galaxy." You might not know what (s)he was doing there, but it isn't required to enjoy the episode at hand. SG-1 S8 followed by SG:A S1 is another option. And of course the final option is to just go ahead and watch all of SG-1, then watch SG:A.

No matter which method is used, the movies should be watched as noted above.

Arild

Supporting Actor
No, but there are a bunch of instances where one series follows up on something that happened previously on the other. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into details.

It could be watched either way, but IMO swapping back and forth and watching in approximately the order they aired makes more sense and - again, IMO - is more fun.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the layout, Arild. I'll keep that handy when I start getting into the Atlantis era. I can always go to epguides and go by airdate with SG-1/Atlantis, too.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm a longtime SF fan in general. i've seen every single episode of SG1&atlantis. i also like the movies. in fact i like them all.

best thing to keep in mind when watching stargate: have fun. that is what the producers want u to have, don't take it too seriously. it is NOT lost, it is NOT BSG and they KNOW it. dunno if u've seen the 200th episode, but that's the kind of series this is.

the film was OK, but i think roland and devlin seemed to think they were making citizen kane of SF genre... ummm, have u seen their OTHER movies like godzilla, id4, day after tomorrow, and so on? rwiiight. it's all about track records. they take themselves way too seriously when it comes to stargate.

SG-1 is broken up into 3 phases. first is the MGM days. it's the gate address of the week and u were in on this rollicking SF adventure duking it out with the g'houlds. t'ealc is like worf& spock who gave us klingon and vulcan cultures. i luv this unique culture of SG-1 universe. i also luv the relationship between bray-tec (sp?) and t'ealc. tony is an excellent actor. i think people like him and anderson get it. it's all about hamming it up ;). u just have to give us our entertainment's worth. HAM IT UP =D. so that's the 1st phase.

the 2nd phase is the MGM->SF transition. instead of gate address of the week (a la trek's planet of the week) it became a multi-episode arc and the SG-1 universe literally expanded. the transition gave us more time travel, portles, paradoxes, alternate universes and replicators amongst other things. i think the visual FX improved like 10 fold, it was always good, but the transition just amped up the FX. i've always liked the surround sound designs of stargate series. i still think it is the BEST/top notch sound design of any TV series i have watched. aaanyways.

the 3rd phase is essentially the "reboot" of stargate with anderson leaving and atlantis gearing up, there is a sense of retooling and shaking things up. hence, farscapee transplants =P. i think it didn't hurt that they essentially brought the farscape fanbase back =). though there is a lot of crossover i'm sure (i've also seen every single ep of farscape).

atlantis is also very enjoyable. i think atlantis had a far stronger first season than SG-1. i really want to see ford back to wreak some havok.

u should enjoy it all the same =D. it's pure entertainment. there could be some fairly dramatic episodes here and there but dont fool urself. it's about geekiness, nerdiness, SF, sometimes hot chix, but overall silliness in an adventure romp.

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
IMHO, they should have pulled the plug on SG1 after season 8. I was a big fan (and have seasons 1-8) but that stupid Ori storyline did the show in. But I was expecting the show to tank eventually once SciFi started signing the checks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I guess I should just watch and not spoil myself, but the SGC never gets a DHD in the first seven seasons, does it? I'm closing in on the end of season 2 and they've passed up two golden opportunities to get one. The first was when the second stargate was recovered and sealed. They should have taken its DHD right then and there. Then, when the colonel drew up the plans for a DHD, they should have at least tried to construct one.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just wait and see. be patient =P. certain things have great rewards later on. just remember that SG-1 doesn't really get serialized until season5 and onward.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Don't take too long. Try to get all caught up before Stargate Universe premieres. SG1 is a lot of fun. Easily one of the best shows ever of any genre. I will tell you this, as cool as they seem at first the Replicators do get old after awhile. That's all I'll say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks