What's new

Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes" (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It was reported in June that Warner Bros. had hired Guy Ritchie to write and direct a new Sherlock Holmes movie. It's said to be more action oriented than traditional Holmes.

Since then we've found out that Robert Downy Jr. will be playing Holmes. Awesome.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Last week it was rumored--and denied--that Russell Crowe was to play Dr. Watson. Today it's been reported that Crowe is likely to play none other than Holmes arch nemesis himself; Professor Moriarty! Again, awesome.

Exclusive: Sherlock Holmes May Have Something To Crowe About After All - Movie News - Latest Movie Reviews and trailers

It would appear that the game is afoot! I'm not really a Ritchie fan, but I think he's competent enough and I'm already looking forward to this. I've been waiting for a good modern Holmes adventure for a while, years ago I thought that Dan Aykroyd would have made a good Watson, but it's a bit late for that now I think.

Anyone else looking forward to this as much as me?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Moriarty? Geeeez... The guy appeared in one story. And died in it.

I wonder if all this interest in Holmes projects will revive the Fry & Laurie project (with them cast against physical type). That's the one I really want to see.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And that's exactly what I wouldn't want. Holmes is a period piece and very English. I want an old fashioned Holmes.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Not a "Modern Holmes," just a modern "Holmes." It's still a period piece as far as I know. I think they would have been more clear if it wasn't.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So still a period piece but the character is updated to include modern day mores? How would you have him changed? Would he be opposed to Britain's class system of the day, not be a drug addict, have a more pleasant personality in dealing with others? I'm not sure what modern means to you, but to update the character would mean he's no longer Holmes.

The Jeremy Brett version of Holmes was excellent not only for his wonderful portrayal, but for the level of faithfulness to the author's vision of Holmes. I've never been a big fan of Basil Rathbone's Holmes because he was too nice a guy. That was a case of modernizing the character and it was commercially successful, but was disappointing to me.

There is such a rich mother lode of character detail to be found the the original stories it would be a shame to ignore the core of it. Downey would be terrific as an authentic Holmes.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm not sure what to think of that. Downey sure doesn't make a traditional Holmes, but if he can pull off something akin to Eliot Gould's Marlowe, then maybe it will be worth while. There is some interesting comedy in that trailer, but the action scenes seem WAY over the top and purely there to draw a young crowd.

Hopefully, the trailer does not represent the best of the film, as this is a series that could easily be re-visted, but if they're going to twist and maim the original stories then I'll take a huge pass.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not sold on Holmes as a "skilled fighter", and I am a huge fan of the Jeremy Brett Holmes, but I could get behind a less stodgy portrayal of Victorian/Edwardian England than used to be the norm as the reality was never as "prim and proper" as it has been presented for much of the 20th century.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Holmes was a skilled fighter, though - his skill at bareknuckle boxing, mastery of the fighting art of baritsu, and feats of strength are right in Doyle's stories. Don't forget that he was a master of disguise, as well. Although he vastly preferred to solve crimes from his armchair, the man was one of literature's first superheroes.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I read somewhere, and agree, that the trailer looks like Sherlock done Pirates of the Caribbean style.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I really liked RocknRolla, but this style just seems too much for Sherlock Holmes. My optimism from what I was reading has been seriously dampened after seeing this trailer.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

I came here to say exactly this, Jason. I think if one reads (or re-reads) Doyle's stories, they would pleasantly surprised at how "cool" Holmes is. If you ask me, Hugh Laurie's take on the character in "House" is quite accurate--it's always how I pictured the character in my mind. It seems Downey Jr. is going the same route (though less "bastard-like").

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I are also big fans of Jeremy Brett's Holmes. This new Holmes is clearly not your father's (or grandfather's) Holmes. This Holmes seems to have some Indianna Jones genes mixed in. Had this movie been about an english detective of that era, there's be no controversy. As for his fighting skills, even Brett displayed his superior boxing skills in one episode and got the crap beat out of him in another.

Still I admit this a different Holmes and he's portrayed by an actor in the prime of his career. Not bad for an ex-druggie (Holmes had drug issues too). I think if you prepare yourself to accept a different Holmes this could be very enjoyable.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not dismissing it out of hand (and as for the fighting, the way it is portrayed on screen in the trailer, for the most part, seems anachronistic--could be more of visual editing thing than the moves themselves). In fact, apart from the snippets of the fighting (which I have to believe will NOT dominate screen time), I find the trailer intriguing.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
By cool, I believe you mean uncaring of the feelings of others. House in my mind, is a real SOB, a genius, but still an SOB. House will use people in very callous ways. I think Holmes is way down on the richter scale of SOB's, compared to House.

BTW, I'm a fan of House and never miss it and my comments on Holmes are based on Jeremy Brett's Holmes, which is probably the closest to Holmes as written as any other production of Doyle's character.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Same here. It looks ridiculous to me. Also- I actually think Law would have been a more fitting Holmes, and Downey a better Watson (if I were forced to cast those two in the main roles).

If I'm not mistaken, Conan Doyle described Holmes pretty thoroughly, right down to his eye-color (grey?) Jeremy Brett is my favorite, Basil Rathbone was good, Rupert Everett was OK, and I really liked Frank Langella in the role. But, Robert Downey, no matter how good an actor, can't get away from the fact that he just isn't anywhere near being the right physical type for this character.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks