What's new

Where is ANDY HARDY? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that next week, TCM will be running all but a couple of the Mickey Rooney / Andy Hardy films.

I would have thought that all of them were on DVD, but it looks like only LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY is available (and possibly another in the public domain).

I would think that this would make a great box set, all the films.

Has there been any talk of it? Is this TCM marathon any indication (as they often air films before a DVD release)?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
There has been talk. I believe that WB said this is being worked on in one of the previous chats, but there is not set timeline to the best of my knowledge.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Hardy movies show on TCM fairly often so I wouldn't read too much into the upcoming airings. From what I have seen on TCM the prints are pretty worn; it's very likely serious restoration is needed for this series.
Warners has indicated in the past several years that numerous series are in the pipeline (Hardy, Kildare, Bowery Boys, Lex Barker Tarzan, Maisie, Saint/Falcon, Mason, Chan et al). It must be a very costly and time consuming process getting these prepped for home video especially considering that certain of these are RKO or Monogram titles that were not well maintained.
Their focus in 2008 has been on musicals and westerns. Perhaps 2009 or 2010 will be the year of the "B series"?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
actually I though this would have been out by now, following the Garland/Rooney set, also with the up dating old signature sets, where is the Garland set, with a 2 disc Star is Born

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I have loved this series since i first saw them aired in the early 90's on TNT...At this point, if complete boxed sets are not possible, I would certainly buy a box that had a few ANDY, DR KILDARE, MAISY altogether...rather than never have them see the light of day again.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I currently have Love Finds Andy Hardy on DVD and a few others on VHS. I imagine that they would take quite a bit of remastering work, and would be particularly time consuming since there are 16 films (not counting any shorts or anything), so I imagine it will take a while to get them all put together and ready for release.

Corey

Screenwriter
I'd love for WHV to release a 2nd Judy Garland set with:
-Little Nellie Kelly
-Thoroughbreds Don't Cry
-A Star Is Born SE
-Listen Darling
-Everybody Sing
and a Mickey Rooney set with:
-Summer Holiday
-Killer McCoy
-The Human Comedy
-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
-A Yank at Eton

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, where ARE the Andy Hardy films? Our entire family loves these films. I remember awhile back Warner had mentioned that these would be released but haven't heard any news on the progress.
Would like to see a nice boxed set with the "Warner Night at the Movies" extras along with the two shorts "Christmas with the Hardys" and "Andy Hardy's Dilemma" included.
Not only would I love this set (as standard DVDs and not DVD-Rs) for myself but would like to get them for my Mom (who adores this series) while she can still enjoy them. She is in her early 70s and not getting any younger...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think Andy, Maisie, and Dr. Kildaire will all show up at the Warner Archive someday. Perhaps they will do a Value Pack for each series. Sad that Warner Archive has reduced the discount on the Value Packs to 40%.

In December 2010 Mickey Rooney is the Star of the Month on TCM. All the Andy Hardy movies will be shown December 16 in reverse order starting woth Andy Hardy Comes Home at 6 am and ending with A Familly Affair on December 17 at 7:15 AM. Set your DVR accordingly.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Garysb
I think Andy, Maisie, and Dr. Kildaire will all show up at the Warner Archive someday.

I think we can be confident that this is the plan, but in the meantime my DVR will stay tuned to TCM.

---------------

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info re the Andy Hardy series. Too bad that they may end up as a "Warner Archive Release". Was hoping for something similar to the "Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney Collection" that Warner released but guess I will have to settle for what is produced.
Will definitely set my DVR for the dates mentioned...

I think Andy, Maisie, and Dr. Kildaire will all show up at the Warner Archive someday. Perhaps they will do a Value Pack for each series. Sad that Warner Archive has reduced the discount on the Value Packs to 40%.

In December 2010 Mickey Rooney is the Star of the Month on TCM. All the Andy Hardy movies will be shown December 16 in reverse order starting woth Andy Hardy Comes Home at 6 am and ending with A Familly Affair on December 17 at 7:15 AM. Set your DVR accordingly.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks for the great heads up! I will definitely set the TiVo for that. Wish WB would release a wonderful box set of this great series.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the TCM info on this series.

This is another set, if it became available remastered, I'd pay top $'s for it. I agree about the odds of it getting the MOD treatment eventually. I was hoping that this series along with another one of my "holy grails" (Blondie series) would be able to get in under the last of the golden era of the classic pressed-releases/DVD mkt.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
This series is slowly inching its way to "Holy Grail" status. Have patiently been waiting years for this. I really hope it doesn't go Warner Archive (but my fear is that it will) because it is worthy of a regular dvd release. Does anyone know if this is at least still being worked on?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks TCM for giving us the complete Andy Hardy series. Now Warner, will you give us a great box set with some wonderful extras, PLEASE???

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Reading through past chats, the most recent reference I could find was from 2007 (see below). Obviously this never happened, but it sounds like Warner has a product "in the can" (or nearly so) just waiting for release. Mickey Rooney's 90th birthday earlier this year would have been a great marketing tie-in so the lack of release suggests other hurdles than just economic. The TCM prints can be a bit rough; perhaps the elements needed a more costly restoration than anticipated.

In any event, I hope in depth interviews with Mr. Rooney that could serve as a basis for a feature documentary on the series have already taken place.

[[COLOR= #ff0000]Nick_Feduccia] Thanks so much for this opportunity! What are the chances of seeing some Andy Hardy boxed sets much in the vein of the Tarzan boxed sets any time soon?
[WARNER] We will do more than one Hardy volume, and the first one will hit in 2008. There will be cool extras, too!
[/COLOR]

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Willis said:
Thanks for the TCM info on this series.

This is another set, if it became available remastered, I'd pay top $'s for it. I agree about the odds of it getting the MOD treatment eventually. I was hoping that this series along with another one of my "holy grails" (Blondie series) would be able to get in under the last of the golden era of the classic pressed-releases/DVD mkt.
Blondie would have difficulty with the rights. Though the films were produced by Columbia, King Features controls the rights to the characters. Not sure if King Features owns the rights to the films. They may, as I remember at one time the films were shown on TV Sunday mornings missing the original Columbia opening titles. Or it could be a situation like Popeye or Batman where one company owns the films but another company owns the characters.

I believe in one chat Warner Bros said they were going to put out the rest of Judy Garland's MGM films at the same time as the blu ray of A Star is Born so that they would have a cross promotion. That would have included 2 of the 3 Hardy films in which she appeared. Apparently the plans changed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I believe in one chat Warner Bros said they were going to put out the rest of Judy Garland's MGM films at the same time as the blu ray of A Star is Born so that they would have a cross promotion. That would have included 2 of the 3 Hardy films in which she appeared. Apparently the plans changed.

When Warners released Everybody Sing in the Warner Archive, my hopes for a box set of early Judy films (including Little Nellie Kelly which I thankfully have on laserdisc) faded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks