-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
449 replies to this topic

#41 of 450 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted September 12 2008 - 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ
That is interesting, if not downright strange. The injury has thrown the AFC wide open and it will be exciting, but I hate to see any injury like that and I'm a fan of Brady.

Well, my optimism for the Lions lasted less than a game into the NFL season. Posted Image (Scott, please feel free to commence with the "I told you so" portion of the season and Brandon, Zachary feel free to join in.)

My optimism vanished after the Falcons put up 21 points in a hurry. For the rest of the season, I'm going to expect the Lions to lose every game; that way I can be surprised. Posted Image

One of my friends predicted that the Lions would go 6-10. After the Falcons game, he changed that to 3-13.

#42 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 12 2008 - 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyTait
One of my friends predicted that the Lions would go 6-10. After the Falcons game, he changed that to 3-13.

I made a bet with a Lions season ticket holder before the season started -- over/under on wins of six, and I have the under. I am feeling very confident right now.

#43 of 450 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 11:39 AM

Well the refs screwed my Chargers out of a win today.
unadulterated B.S.

The review device was non-functional for the first incorrect call. since when does that happen !?!
Then Hoculi blows the whistle too early on a clear fumble thus making the call non-reviewable. That second fumble would have ended the game. almost certainly.
nice product NFL.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#44 of 450 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 11:57 AM

Yah, Chargers had to bend over for that one.

#45 of 450 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted September 14 2008 - 12:06 PM

Ballsy call by Shanahan to go for two at the end.

#46 of 450 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 14 2008 - 02:47 PM

I am a Charger fan. Pity me.

I stopped watching the game after the instant reply malfunction. I knew that TD would make the difference in the game. I knew it would.

Looking on the good side (har, har) maybe the Bolts will learn they have to play for 60 minutes. Putting yourself in an early hole every time, is not a good system to follow.

However, when the game was on the line, the offense got the lead, and the defense couldn't keep either team out of the end zone for just one more play.

With a break here and there, they could be 2-0, but I kinda think they've earned 0-2.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#47 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 15 2008 - 12:41 AM

That's two straight tough losses for the Chargers. With Merriman out for the season and LT's nagging toe injury, San Diego may be in trouble. Their saving grace, though, is that the AFC does not look nearly as tough this season as the past few.

#48 of 450 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted September 15 2008 - 02:46 AM

So the Jags, Chargers, and Seahawks are 0-2. The Bolts will climb out.

I'd also like to note that everyone's (professionally, at least) AFC South "doormat from the pre-season predictions" are 2-0 with a monstrous defense - the Titans lead the South.

Tonight is a big game for the NFC.

Packers also look great with a 2-0 lead in the weak North.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#49 of 450 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 04:27 AM

I still don't know how Indy won their game against the Vikings yesterday, but it was a game they gutted out without being anywhere close to being "on their game".
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#50 of 450 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 04:54 AM

Chargers will be fine. Broncos looked sharp yesterday, but I think the Chargers will end up winning the West. They really "won" yesterday's game despite being down 21-3 at some point. Thank goodness for Sproles. He took over that game. First with his kick runback. and then later in the 4th quarter he broke one off from about midfield all the way to the 1 yard line. I mean he ran by everyone, but it was called back on a lame penalty. then just for show, he gets a screen pass and takes it 60+ yards. I mean, the guy is electric.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#51 of 450 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 08:19 AM

This season has been crappy for me so far and not just because I'm a Lions fan. I also root for the Bengals and the Browns and all three teams are 0-2. Uugh.

At least this time, the Lions came back from the big deficit, but of course, they had to give it away the only they could, but giving up three touchdowns in the final seven minutes of the game.

#52 of 450 Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 10:50 AM

Im Sooooooooo Happy that Cassel Won Yesterday. I feel the pats have a good chance at a 13-3 season.
Making the world a better Place one Plasma and LCD at a time

#53 of 450 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 04:17 PM

That was a great game! Glad the Cowboys won. (thanks romo fantasy points)

#54 of 450 Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted September 15 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hey Scott, I tortured myself and went to the Lions game yesterday. They were getting crushed and we were about to leave when the Lions made that miracle comeback to take the lead. Of course we all know what happened, but at that point we left and it was a steady down pour for the half mile walk to the car. At least I didn't pay for the tickets and they were very good seats. Calvin Johnson is the lone bright spot on that team. IMO

#55 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,398 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 16 2008 - 12:23 AM

At least you got to see an entertaining game, Brandon. I've resolved myself to not attend any more games until major changes are made in the front office. Even with free tickets, the team would get concession money out of me, and I'm not giving the Ford's another dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyTait
This season has been crappy for me so far and not just because I'm a Lions fan. I also root for the Bengals and the Browns and all three teams are 0-2. Uugh.

That's a tough threesome, Zachary. Being a Michigan fan, it's been tough on me, too. Fortunately, I've been a Steelers fan for almost 40 years (my mother's from western PA and my dad went to school there), so I have one bright spot this football season.

#56 of 450 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 16 2008 - 01:47 AM

The Democrat Gazette has an "Off the wire" section in the Sports section of the paper. There is no other attribution to sources of articles. There is an article about the Charger game. Hochuli has acknowledged he screwed up. The article goes on to say:
Quote:
Until March 2007, down by contact plays were not reviewable. That rule was changed so that they were reviewable, and if a fumble occurred even after the whistle blew, the team recovering it got possession.

But just a few sentences earlier the article states
Quote:
Hochuli ruled it an incomplete pass. Replay ruled it a fumble, but it wa spotted at the 10-yard line, where the ball hit the ground, and given to Denver because the rules did not permit possession to be awarded to San Diego because the whistle had blown.
If my first quote is correct, Hochuli made two mistakes, blowing the whistle and than not following the rulebook. I've always thought that no matter how bad the call, a blown whistle overrode everything. If there was a fumble but the whistle blew, there is no fumble. But if there is no fumble, how do they spot the ball at the 10?

Shanahan said:
Quote:
They (the refs) did a heck of a job.
I'd like add my two bits to that: Brownie...I mean Hochuli, you did a heckuva job.

Shanahan goes on to say correctly that the TD wasn't a given. It was 3rd down on the 10. They still had to score a TD and a 2 pointer. The Charger dense did not stand up for the second game in a row, with the game on the line.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#57 of 450 Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 03:56 AM

Johnny,
As I understand it, there are different rules for "ruled down by contact" vs. "ruled incomplete pass". In the case of the INC, the call can be changed to a fumble, but the ball is considered dead, and no play can be made from that point. Apparently the discrepancy is likely to be changed in the coming off-season. I'm ambivalent about players being awarded possession for playing past the whistle but some of the whistles are so bad, what else can they do?

So, if the fumble had landed in the end zone, would it have been like a fumble out of the endzone, i.e, touchback, SD ball? That's my best guess.
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#58 of 450 Dheiner

Dheiner

Screenwriter

• 1,860 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted September 16 2008 - 04:07 AM

While I hate the results of "inadvertent whistles" sometimes, I really dread the results of not training todays' NFL athlete to stop at the whistle. Someone will be seriously injured due to this, in the near future. If the whistle does not mean STOP!!!, RIGHT NOW!!!!! what does it mean?
The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#59 of 450 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 06:27 AM

They may change it to where possible incomplete/fumbles/combos are not whistled dead. I know last night, when the Eagles player, whoever his name was, I just remember him as moron, threw the ball backwards before he even made it in the end zone (then started doing his celebration dance after his fumble....moron) the play was never whistled dead, but assumed by all that it was over.

Speaking of that player, they mentioned in the game that in high school on a national televised game he was about to score a touchdown and did a swan dive from the 5 yard line but landed on the 2, being ruled down, and then awarded an unsportsman like conduct penalty, and they didn't score. The arrogance of this player is annoying, I hope his career goes no where.

#60 of 450 hodedofome

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted September 16 2008 - 06:37 AM

Yeah DeSean Jackson sure ingraved his name in history by that move. I absolutely couldn't believe it the second I saw the replay. It was so obvious he didn't make it in before dropping the ball. If he wasn't so good you'd hope that his team would beat the arrogance out of him. Perhaps he's like T.O. or Ocho-Sinco, without his attitude he wouldn't know how to survive.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow