What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll start with my predictions.

NFC East
Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
Redskins

NFC North
Vikings
Packers
Lions
Bears

NFC South
Saints
Bucs
Panthers
Falcons

NFC West
Cardinals (somebody has to win this pathetic division)
Seahawks
Rams
49ers

Wildcards: Giants, Eagles
NFC Champs: Cowboys

AFC East
Pats
Jets
Bills
Dolphins

AFC North
Steelers
Browns
Ravens
Bengals

AFC South
Colts
Jags
Titans
Texans

AFC West
Chargers
Broncos
Raiders
Chiefs

Wildcards: Jags, Browns
AFC Champions: Pats

Super Bowl Champs: Cowboys

As for my Lions, I'm predicting a 5-11 record. The team wants to run the ball, yet they do not have the offensive line nor the running backs to do so. They are inexperienced on the defensive line and thin at linebacker. The only area they really strengthened from last season is the defensive backfield. I just do not see where all the hype in coming from in the local media. There are only three players on this team with the talent to start for another NFL team -- Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, and Ernie Sims. I'll be amazed if Kitna can make it through a third straight season healthy behind that awful OL, and there is no one backing him up.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As a Cowboys fan, too many people are picking the Cowboys. SO I know they aren't going to win the SB.

Last night's game was pretty ugly football. The Skins dropped at least 2, and possibly 3, picks from Eli. The Skins offense needs some real work. Long story short, as a Cowboys fan I am worried about the Eagles!

I'll make some predictions soon. They will be worthless.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I live in Atlanta, and I'm a falcons fan. I also hate Michael Vick. Thought I should get that off my chest. If we win 5 games I'll be excited, just a shame that I have to watch those games. Guess I can go golfing during that time and watch the other games later that day.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
All I know is I'm winning my fantasy football team this year
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm a Cowboys fan too, but they always let me down:frowning:

Since we're talking about the Falcons and Lions here, would ya'll play Roddy White this weekend vs Andre Johnson or T.J. Housh? I have all 3 (including T.O.) and if the Lions backfield is weak enough I'll play White.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron, see this thread for fantasy football discussion. We try to keep this thread to talk about "real" football.

I was not impressed with Jim Zorn last night. He looked lost trying to call plays and manage the game. There was no urgency when the team was behind in the 4th quarter -- too many runs up the middle and dump off passes when you're trailing by 9 points, and no hurry-up offense. He was a surprise hire, IMO, and appears to be over-matched. Washington could really struggle this season.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Nothing controversial here, but I think the Eli/Plax combination is going to be a deadly one this year. I was glad to see the Giants come out and take control of the game like that. However, things kinda fizzled out after that first TD. There's always some first-game awkwardness that needs ironed out. Anyway, good to see the real football season finally begin!

I'm predicting my Steelers win 23-14 on Sunday!

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
NFC East
Cowboys
Eagles
Giants
Redskins

NFC North
Vikings
Lions
Packers
Bears

NFC South
Saints
Panthers
Bucs
Falcons

NFC West
Seahawks
Rams
Cardinals
49ers

Wildcards: Panthers, Eagles

AFC East
Pats
Jets
Bills
Dolphins

AFC North
Steelers
Browns
Ravens
Bengals

AFC South
Jags
Colts
Titans
Texans

AFC West
Chargers
Broncos
Raiders
Chiefs

Wildcards: Colts, Browns

AFC Champ Patriots, SB champ Pats.

As far as the Lions, I think its entirely possible that they are a better team than last year, but will have a worse record. I'm thinking 6-8. The offense will be fine, but the defensive line is going to determine if they can sneak into the playoffs or not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I know the Lions are the most inept organization in the NFL, but I think the NFL will still insist on the team playing its entire 16-game schedule, Brandon, even though we Lions fans would probably prefer that the last two games be canceled. :laugh:

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well here in Eagles country we are having High hopes for the Eagles. I would say we will at least make the Playoffs!! But Cant wait to get the Games on in HD ;)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Here is my shot at end of season predictions:

NFC East
Cowboys

NFC North
Packers

NFC South
Saints

NFC West
Seahawks

Wildcards: Giants, and...aw heck, Rams.

AFC East
Pats

AFC North
Steelers

AFC South
Colts

AFC West
Chargers

Wildcards: Jags, Browns

AFC Champ: Chargers

SB champ Chargers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know how long Brady is expected to be out after that knee injury he suffered in the 1st quarter today?

I was pleased to see my Falcons show up and play according to the game plan and not let the Lions get all pass-happy after a good 2nd quarter for them.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Lions. I knew that 4-0 preseason mark was a smokescreen. At times, it looked like a varsity team playing a j.v. team.

The way they played today, they'll be lucky to have one win on October 1st and they play San Francisco and Green Bay the next games plus a bye week.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I wouldn't expect to get any straight answers out of Bellichek. After all, this is the team that has put Brady on the injury report every week for the past several years as an "F-U" to the league's injury report rules.

The Lions are well on their way to winning another bet for me this year. I bet someone at work that they wouldn't win more than 6 games. Considering the Atlanta game was one they were "supposed" to win, I'm feeling pretty confident. They made a mediocre Falcons team with a rookie QB look like a Super Bowl contender.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The Lions have to have the worst Rush Defense I've seen in a long long time. Every single time Atlanta ran they got over 10 yards. I'm pretty sure I could of rushed for at least 50 yards today.

I'm glad the falcons went out there and just made clean executions, nothing fancy. They are still not a good team by any means, but getting a clean win is always a start for a team with new coach, RB, and rookie QB.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting news on Brady. I never like to see any player get injured, even him. But it certainly changes the balance in the AFC East if he is out for half the season or more.

Philly looks very strong, if they can keep McNabb healthy. As a Dallas fan (hoping Barber is OK), I'm eagerly awaiting those two games this year.

Two thoughts on the first Sunday:

1) You have to play the game. SD, Jax, and Seattle were all supposed to have an easy day of it...none did.

2) This is going to be a very good rookie class. Ryan throws a TD on his first try, Felix Jones scores on his first run, Forte already looks great, DeSean Jackson is making HUGE plays, both Longs are starting...a lot of early contributers.

Dallas needs to get healthy in the secondary and Romo loves to throw red zone INTs, but aside from that, Dallas looks good.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It doesn't look good for Brady. Yahoo! is reporting he has a torn ACL and is out for the season. ESPNEWS' Bottom Line says that the Pats are bringing Chris Simms and Tim Rattay in for workouts tomorrow.

None of the news I've heard has looked good for Brady or the Pats.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If Brady is out for the season, the Pats are done. Cassells barely made the roster this season, so there is obviously no one backing up Brady. I'm going to revise my predictions, put the Jets in as AFC East champs (yes, they'll now make the playoffs :laugh: ) and the Steelers as AFC Champs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks