Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#21 of 450 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,961 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 01:26 AM

I'll put the Bills over the Jets. They put a beatdown on a decent Seattle team, while the Jets scraped by the Dolphins (1-15 last year).

I still think the Pats might do OK. They won't dominate, but the rest of the team is quite good.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#22 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2008 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
I'll put the Bills over the Jets. They put a beatdown on a decent Seattle team, while the Jets scraped by the Dolphins (1-15 last year).

I actually think that Seattle is going to be quite bad this season. They are weak at RB and WR, and their offensive line is not what it used to be. The Seahawks' offense is going to struggle all season. The only advantage they have is playing in the worst division in the league.

Meanwhile, Parcells has done a find job improving the Dolphins in one offseason. Miami's not going to the playoffs, but they should be much better than last season's 1-15 team.

#23 of 450 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 06:48 AM

I've been pretty quiet since the draft but that's because there hasn't been football since then. Ok, I've also been pretty busy but I...am...ready...for...some...football!

#24 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2008 - 08:48 AM

It looks like Brady is out for the season. With Indy looking very vulnerable, the AFC is officially a wide open race. The AFC East appears to now be a three team battle between Buffalo, the Jets and New England (the Pats still have enough talent to contend). I'll stick by my Jets prediction a couple of responses ago, but this will be an interesting race.

#25 of 450 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 09:59 AM

Things are certainly a lot more interesting now where the AFC East is concerned. I think the Patriots are vonerable not just because of the Brady thing but also because, I still think they have a lot of defensive questions that aren't settled especially in the secondary.

#26 of 450 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 04:27 PM

I said earlier today that I was ready for some football.

Unfortunately, I'm still ready for some football. I'm seeing half of football, Denver's half of the game is football but the Raider half may be worse than anything Art Shell ever coached.

#27 of 450 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted September 08 2008 - 07:02 PM

The Patriots are done, even with their "genius" coach? The ugly little troll? We'll see what a genius he is now, without Tom Brady.

#28 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 09 2008 - 12:08 AM

It was only one game, but Aaron Rodgers was very impressive last night. He showed a strong, accurate arm and was very poised and composed running the team. If this is the norm, the Packers are going to be very tough this season.

#29 of 450 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,597 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc
The Patriots are done, even with their "genius" coach? The ugly little troll? We'll see what a genius he is now, without Tom Brady.

It was weird to hear that Chris Simms and Tim Rattay didn't even get past a face-to-face interview before the Pats sent both guys back to the airport. If Cassel gets hurt, what are their QB backup plans then? I foresee a lot of running by the Pats until Cassel can handle all of the offensive playbook.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#30 of 450 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,425 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
It was weird to hear that Chris Simms and Tim Rattay didn't even get past a face-to-face interview before the Pats sent both guys back to the airport. If Cassel gets hurt, what are their QB backup plans then? I foresee a lot of running by the Pats until Cassel can handle all of the offensive playbook.

That is interesting, if not downright strange. The injury has thrown the AFC wide open and it will be exciting, but I hate to see any injury like that and I'm a fan of Brady.

Well, my optimism for the Lions lasted less than a game into the NFL season. Posted Image (Scott, please feel free to commence with the "I told you so" portion of the season and Brandon, Zachary feel free to join in.)

#31 of 450 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 09:57 AM

I wonder if ESPN will get in trouble for showing the Broncos/Raiders game. I thought it was illegal to televise an execution.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#32 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 09 2008 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ
Well, my optimism for the Lions lasted less than a game into the NFL season. Posted Image (Scott, please feel free to commence with the "I told you so" portion of the season and Brandon, Zachary feel free to join in.)

You're no fun, David. I thought you were good for several weeks of foolish optimism before the team would crush your hopes. Welcome to the dark side. Posted Image

#33 of 450 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 10 2008 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image

#34 of 450 Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 11 2008 - 02:45 AM

What has happened to the bengals, play off team a couple years ago, now they are just terrible?

#35 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 11 2008 - 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk
What has happened to the bengals, play off team a couple years ago, now they are just terrible?

Cincy's defense was never very good, and now the offense has it's issues. The offensive line is not very good, they lost a dependable RB in Rudi Johnson (injured last season, cut this year) and have not replaced him, and their two star receivers are both banged up.

#36 of 450 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted September 11 2008 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Cincy's defense was never very good, and now the offense has it's issues. The offensive line is not very good, they lost a dependable RB in Rudi Johnson (injured last season, cut this year) and have not replaced him, and their two star receivers are both banged up.
Yep. The defense seems to have improved thanks to the new coordinator, but we've only been through one game so far. The biggest problem on offense is the line. The year we went to the playoffs, we had the best offensive line in the league. Since then, we've lost Rich Braham (center) and Willie Anderson (tackle) to old age/injury, and Eric Steinbach was traded to the Browns. Carson was uncomfortable the entire game because the Ravens kept chasing him, and the line offered very little support. Bob Bratkowski (offensive coordinator) needs to go. Run down the middle. Not working? Run down the middle. Still not working? Run down the middle.

#37 of 450 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,425 posts

Posted September 11 2008 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
You're no fun, David. I thought you were good for several weeks of foolish optimism before the team would crush your hopes. Welcome to the dark side. Posted Image

There is optimism and then there is stupidity. Posted Image

#38 of 450 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted September 12 2008 - 07:43 AM

I'm really hoping the Steelers put their foots on the Brown's throats on Sunday. Nothing against the Browns, of course, but the Steelers pretty much have to win the division to have any hope of making the playoffs this year, it's looking pretty crowded in the AFC as far as wild-card hopes go. I'm more worried about the Browns than the Bengals or Ravens this year.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#39 of 450 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,339 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 12 2008 - 10:20 AM

I agree, Bob, that the Brownies are the Steelers' chief competition in the division. However, with Jacksonville's offensive line decimated by injuries, Brady gone from the Pats, Vince Young out in Tennessee, and Indy looking shaky, I think the conference is not nearly as tough as the past few years. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland could very well make the playoffs. I've been a Steeler fan for almost 40 years (all Lions fans need another team to cheer for), and I'm very optimistic on their chances to win the conference.

#40 of 450 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted September 12 2008 - 11:26 AM

Chargers better crush the Snotty Jackasses (and you thought that was a horse blowing steam, silly HTF football fan) and not go into a 2007-like early season funk.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow