What's new

The Unit: Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
anybody know when it's starting?
there seems to be no premiere date on tv.com.
I know it has been renewed. Is it not coming back till January?

LCD22

Screenwriter
We're four days away now for the long-awaited return (and an unbelievably long nine month wait!). Loved the preview I've seen for the new season. I just hope the show makes it in the new timeslot. I don't want this to be the end of "The Unit".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Well, the season premiere was pretty awesome. Looks like this story arc will have some legs!

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Very tense and unbelievably action-packed for a one hour show. I can't wait to see how this resolves itself out (both the terror attacks on the U.S. and the Col. Ryan/Tiffy/Mack storyline).

Now to the thing that bothers me most about the episode...the inclusion of Redcap as a member of the Unit. Delta does not have females in tactical positions. I hope that this is just a temporary move as it would be a horrible decision to incorporate a female to the unit to reach out to a certain demographic.

I can't wait to see next week's episode.

Bill Gato

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Well, The Unit is only based on Delta
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
So I guess they can play a little loose with the rules. Also, it was explained oddly well (usually inclusions like this seem silly and cliche), as virutally nobody can be trusted. It would be almost stupid to send away a skilled shooter when the US is literally under assault. It's fair to grant some latitude when VPs start dying.

All I can say, however, is that the arc is going to end very badly for at least one character!

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
GREAT episode, it just gets better and better, can't believe they were thinking of turfing this show! It has really good ratings still if I remember and god knows we don't need another CSI! Anybody know how many eps are suppose to air this year? I heard a rumor it was not a full season! :frowning:

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
As big a fan as I was over last season's start, this just blew away anything they've done. Those first 10 minutes were intense, from the guys popping out of the pool in wet suits, to the chaos at the comm center. Amazing.

And in the past I have been a very vocal opponent to the whole Tiffy/Col. Ryan storyline, but they took it in a direction I didn't see coming. The whole Trial, Justice, Execution subplot just redeemed what I thought was one of the few missteps the show ever made.

This season is going to be one wild ride and I can't wait.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thought the premier was great...but I have concerns about bringing on the eye candy Unit member. I'm hoping this is temporary just to have her deal with the wives. And how does she just get brought in like that without having to go through any of the rigorous training that the other dudes had to go through?

Also, can someone explain to me exactly what happened with that secret service guy and his family that they were telling the wives about? They went through it so fast...what I got was they showed the guy video of his family captured and then he killed himself? Or something like that?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Scott, they held his family and forced him to turn traitor. Then they still killed his family and he commited suicide. Per the videos, they looked to have been targeting Unit families next.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thanks Chris. So what were they talking about toward the end when someone said they even killed their own families?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

That was the terrorists. They killed their own families, I assume to negate the possibility that they could be used against THEM.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
Last night's episode of The Unit was incredibly dense. I had to pause it halfway through, just to breathe.

I have loved this show since it began, and after such a long hiatus, this episode hit more than one out of the ball park. I like the casting of the new female member of the team, and found the explanation for how she could remain was plausible and believable.

Three cheers for the staff and cast of this show!

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That was explained in the episode itself: She was knighted on the field of battle, demonstrated her capability and value, and her loyalty was unquestioned. In time of need (and the crisis outlined surely constitutes a time of need), those three characteristics more than qualify her for inclusion on the team.

Why this change? I think I know why: My wife put The Unit at the very bottom of our watch list for this fall because the show just didn't appeal to her enough, because of the focus on battle logistics. The strengths of the show, from her perspective, were the relationships between Blane and his wife, and Brown and his wife. She didn't value, as much, the separate women's story lines, nor valued the separate men's (i.e., the battlefield) story lines. So to attract my wife, they're going to have to figure out a way to put these two parts of the show together. I don't know if this bridging Unit member (Sullivan) is going to do the trick, but I do know if they don't do something, my wife will have no interest in catching up with this show, when she finally has a chance to. FWIW, figure that the changes to the show reflect an honest evaluation by the production company that perspectives like my wife's are of more critical concern to them than the perspectives of folks who are looking for a show focused on black ops logistical operations.

Ty Zucker

Stunt Coordinator
"She didn't value, as much, the separate women's story lines..."

Isn't that part of the core of the show? That there is this part of their life where the women are essentially on their own? And the same for the shooters. Then there is also the tension where they (husbands & wives) are together and have to figure out how to keep their marriages going.

I don't see the story lines being merged so much as the women have a greater understanding/sense of danger/what's at stake/etc as to what their husbands do and why they are gone so much.

BTW, If there was ever any doubt before (there shouldn't have been)... you know now Jonas Blaine is a BADASS.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I see your point, but I didn't think this show had problems getting ratings? I thought the main issue was cost?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
You can't really evaluate one without the other. Ratings bring in ad dollars, which is one way of making a profit relative to whatever the cost is. An inexpensive show needs lower ratings to be profitable than an expensive one. If The Unit is expensive, it needs higher ratings to justify its cost than a cheaper show would. You could say that given its ratings, the show needs to be done at a cheaper cost, but that's only one way of looking at it. It assumes you can't do much to improve the ratings (or other forms of revenue), but have some control over cost.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Doesn't really matter if that's not the aspect of the show that the viewer is interested in. Some folks try to apply an ethic whereby entertainment options would be expected to reflect some manner of the reality of the situations within which the drama is set, but there is no real reason for that limitation, and if it works against the viewer preference, then that ethic is counter-productive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks