What's new

Panasonic DMP-BD35 & DMP-BD55 Features (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CLICK HERE to view our expanded Cedia 2008 coverage.

55 can render colors more naturally and with enhanced depth._ This function is effective only when reproducing AVCHD data recorded with "x.v.Color
* "x.v.Color’’ and x.v.Color logo are trademarks

HD Networking
Entertainment Offered Only with Blu-ray DiscsTM
BD-Live
BD-Live* lets users access to the Internet to download data such as images and subtitles, and to join in quizzes and multi-player interactive games that are linked to bonus cinema content contained on Blu-ray DiscsTM.
*BD-ROM Profile 2
*Actual functions vary depending on the Blu-ray DiscTM media.

BONUSVIEW
BONUSVIEW* lets users view Picture-in-Picture (which displays a second image in a sub-window) and Audio Mixing (which lets you switch the sound between the main and sub-windows) while a cinema is playing.
*BD-ROM Profile 1 Ver.1.1
*Actual functions vary depending on the Blu-ray DiscTM media.

Instant Viewing of Recorded Movies and Photos
Linking with an HD Camcorder
The DMP-BD35/55 can play back AVCHD-format images shot with an HD camcorder, such as the Panasonic HDC-SD100. Images recorded onto the camcorder's SD Memory Card are output directly from their HDMI terminals in their original, high-quality 1920 x 1080 resolution

Linking with a Digital Camera
The DMP-BD35/55 can play back JPEG still images on an SD Memory Card, such as those recorded with a Lumix digital camera. They can output the images to 1920 x 1080 resolution – ideal for a Full-HD TV – and output them via the HDMI terminal* Using the Slideshow playback feature, you can play a music CD at the same time you're showing the photos, so viewers enjoy both beautiful images and your favourite music.
*JPEG and other still image sources converted to 1920 x 1080 resolution, while of high quality, will exhibit somewhat lower subjective image resolution than true, native 1080p Full-HD sources.

Easy Linked Operation with a Single Remote Control
VIERA Link – Seamless GUI
Simply press the VIERA Link button on the VIERA’s remote control and select "Player" on the VIERA Link Menu screen. The Blu-ray Disc™ player's menu will display on the TV screen, and you can begin playback of a Blu-ray discTM or select from the Blu-ray discTM menu

Authentic Sound

Compatible with All New Audio Codecs of Blu-ray DiscTM
HD Audio Decoding and HDMI Out
The DMP-BD35/55 can decode HD Audio (Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTSTM-HD) and output 7.1ch digital audio signal. The resulting audio is studio master quality sound. This signal can also be connected to an HDMI compatible receiver that does not support HD Audio Codec.

Smooth, Heart-Warming Surround Sound
7.1ch Analogue Out (DMP-BD55 Only)
The 7.1-channel analogue signal converted by the new 192kHz D/A converter is transmitted in high quality. This signal can be connected to a receiver that does not support HDMI.

Reproduction of Dynamic Sound Ambience
96kHz Surround Re-master
The DMP-BD35/55 performs 96kHz sampling and re-mastering of 48kHz lossless audio signals as well as sound signals with data that is lost due to compression. This increases the sound information and adds a dynamic, life-like sound ambience to the cinema reproduction.
*CD sampling is done at 88.2 kHz.

An Audio Design with Uncompromising Quality
High Quality Sound Parts of the DMP-BD55
The DMP-BD55 maximizes the high-quality sound performance of the Blu-ray DiscTM to enhance living room viewing enjoyment with beautiful, true-to-life sound.
New 192KHz/24bit Audio DAC
The digital noise is reduced and analogue interference of the clock noise is prevented.

Electrolytic Capacitor
Polyolefin sleeve and OFC lead to sharp and crisp audio.

Copper Foil Film Capacitor
Low impedance for high-quality sound

Ultra-Low-Impedance Electrolytic Capacitor
OFC lead for powerful bass and a high S/N ratio.

World's First* Single-Chip Signal Processing LSI
Advanced micro-processing has enabled Panasonic to fit the world's first signal processing circuit onto a single LSI chip. This single LSI chip for Blu-ray DiscTM Player enables high quality image and sound reproduction, a slim design, and lower power consumption.
*As of May 20, 2008, Panasonic survey.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I just read on another forum that 7.1 analog output will be disabled in the next couple of years. Is this true?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's a rather cryptic statement. Do you mean that if someone buys a player now with analog outs, he won't be able to use them on that player in a couple of years? How would that happen?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I read there is an analog sunset, which I was aware regards component, but this was the first I heard of an audio situation in the future.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm also interested in hearing more about both the video and audio "sunsets". While I am already resigned to upgrading my receiver to HDMI capable, I have no intention of giving up my current component only HDTV, so anyone producing content that won't work over component is not getting my money.

I guess the other obvious on-topic question is pricing and expected availability?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Locking out analog audio output makes absolutely no sense. Unlike video, audio MUST be output as analog to the amplifier(s) at some point. So what would be the difference?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
That's my thinking. Why would they do this????

What got me wondering in this particular thread was it is a feature of the Panny announced here as well as my own.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can see the separate analog outs being phased out on later models given that the assumption will be that they are no longer a desired feature (the assumption that everyone's equipment will be HDMI compatible), but I can't see any reason to disable this function in the disc authoring.

I can also see component jacks being left out of future designs for the same reason , but intentionally removing the ability to get a composite output from a player that supports it makes no sense. All this will do is create a market for HDMI to component converters which will undoubtably also include copy protection defeat mechanisms.

Personally, my inclination is to upgrade to a HDMI 1.3 receiver and skip the player based decoding on the basis that I'll be paying more for that feature (same with 7.1 analog outs), and that the player is the most likely component to fail first, so the lower the cost of acquisition, the less it will hurt to replace.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the player information, Ron. Eager to read some reviews of how the 55 performs as an upconverter. A handful of HD DVDs--some exclusive, some with better audio than their BD counterparts--and its outstanding Silicon Optix HQV Reon upconverting processor are what keep me hanging on to the XA2. For now.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but does that mean it converts the HD-tracks into normal Dolby Digital, and/or DTS? And what about PCM tracks?
And also, if you just have a 5.1 receiver, it adjusts the 7.1 into 5.1, I hope?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
192kHz refers to the digital to analogue (D/A) converter. When sent out over the analogue outs, the sound will be in whatever format it originated, be it DTS, Dolby Digital, any of their variants or PCM. If the original signal is 5.1, 5.1 is all that will be transmitted over the analogue outs, unless there's some fancy-schmancy "simulation" of the two back channels, which does not appear to be part of the spec.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The fancy-schmancy audio formats contain a DD or DTS "core" that can be sent via Coax or optical to older receivers, if necessary.

The analog outs will send the decoded sound from whatever formats that the player decodes.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
At AVS there are screencaps of the audio setup menu. You can choose 7.1 or 5.1 + 2-channel downmix. (The player uses the regular stereo jacks as the back surrounds when 7.1 is engaged.)

I feel kind of silly. Years ago when I wanted 7.1 outputs so bad I was actually going to be running a 7.1 setup. But my current 2nd room setup with the old 7.1 receiver is 5.1 (upgraded the receiver in the living room and use the PS3 there). But I'll always have the option now!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Earlier, the specs mention: Does the first figure refer to DVDs? Has there been any mention of how well this player upconverts SD DVDs? The BD55, that is.

LilRed2

Grip
Real Name
John
Any estimates of when the Panasonics (BD35 and BD55) will be available?

I'm anxious to get a Blu-ray player, but want to get the full Profile 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks