Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 05:16 AM

Five highly anticipated Western Classics Directed by Budd Boetticher and Starring Randolph Scott on DVD for the First Time

THE FILMS OF
BUDD BOETTICHER BOX SET

The Tall T ~ Decision at Sundown ~ Ride Lonesome Buchanan Rides Alone ~ Comanche Station

Bonus Features Includes the Feature-Length Documentary
Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That
and Special Introductions and commentary by Academy Award® Winning Directors, Clint Eastwood, Taylor Hackford, and
Martin Scorsese

The First Title Released in the “Collector’s Choice” DVD series
with The Film Foundation Debuts November 4

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (August 25, 2008) – Known for their sparse style, dramatic rocky locations, and recurring themes of a lone man seeking vengeance amidst a brutal landscape, the films of Budd Boetticher have, decades after their release, come to be regarded as some of the most influential westerns ever made. On November 4, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) honors this visionary director with The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set, the debut title under the new creative partnership between SPHE and Martin Scorsese’s non-profit film preservation organization, The Film Foundation, to make available newly restored classic films on DVD. This must-have collection for western fans features five masterpieces starring Randolph Scott, and includes The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Ride Lonesome, Buchanan Rides Alone and Comanche Station. In addition, the bonus materials include commentary and special introductions by a trio of Academy Award® winning directors: Clint Eastwood, Taylor Hackford, and Martin Scorsese. The set also features the acclaimed documentary Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That, which explores how the films of Budd Boetticher influenced future directors and includes interviews with Clint Eastwood, Peter Bogdanovich, Taylor Hackford, and Paul Schrader. The five-disc The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set will be available for $59.95 SRP.

About Budd Boetticher
Oscar 'Budd' Boetticher (pronounced Bet-ick-her) left his lasting directorial mark on the western, although less than half of his films are in that genre. Born July 29, 1916 and raised in Chicago, the future auteur was a star football player at Ohio State University. While recovering from an injury in Mexico in the 1930s, Boetticher was captivated by bullfighting and became a professional matador. Acclaimed director Rouben Mamoulian (Applause, Queen Christina, Golden Boy) hired him as a consultant on his bullfighter drama Blood and Sand (1940), starring Tyrone Power and Rita Hayworth, which led to his tenure in Hollywood.

Working his way up through the studios, Boetticher eventually became a capable director of low-budget crime films and thrillers, which led to his first “personal” film, The Bullfighter and the Lady (1951), based on his experiences as a matador. He achieved his greatest success in the mid-fifties when he teamed up with producer Harry Joe Brown, screenwriter Burt Kennedy and actor Randolph Scott to produce the six films that came to be known as the Ranown cycle, beginning with Seven Men from Now (1956) and followed by the five films included in The Films of Budd Boetticher Box Set. The films were shot in the Lone Pine region of California with Boetticher's simple, unobtrusive shooting style, which launched a new and influential era for the western. Considered by many critics to be among the great achievements of the traditional western, the Ranown films have placed Budd Boetticher in a select group of great Western genre directors, and his influence can be seen in the westerns of Sergio Leone and Sam Peckinpah

In the ‘60s, Boetticher left Hollywood to make a documentary about the legendary matador Carlos Arruza. The troubled project took over 7 years to film, but was a failure at the box office. He directed only a handful of films after that, including A Time for Dying (1969) and the documentary My Kingdom For ... (1985), before passing away on November 29, 2001.

The Tall T (1957):
After losing his horse in an ill-timed wager, Arizona rancher Pat Brennan (Randolph Scott) joins Willard Mims (John Hubbard) and his new wife, Doretta (Maureen O'Sullivan), as he hitches a ride on a passing stagecoach. Things turn ugly when the stagecoach is hijacked by three thieves whose leader, Usher (Richard Boone), who turns out to be a ruthless killer. The Tall T was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2000 as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

Decision at Sundown (1957):
Bart Allison (Randolph Scott) believes Tate Kimbrough (John Carroll) caused the death of his wife three years earlier and now Bart rides into the town of Sundown to even the score.

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958):
On his way home to West Texas, Tom Buchanan (Randolph Scott) rides into the Californian border town of Agry, and into a feud between several members of the Agry family. In helping out a Mexican seeking revenge on one of them, Buchanan finds himself against the whole family.

Ride Lonesome (1959):
Wanted for murder, Billy John (James Best) is captured by bounty hunter Ben Brigade (Randolph Scott), who hopes he will lead him to Billy’s brother Frank (Lee Van Cleef) who harbors a treacherous secret about the past. The journey leads to a dramatic showdown at the infamous Hanging Tree.

Comanche Station (1960):
Jefferson Cody (Randolph Scott) attempts to rescue Nancy Lowe (Nancy Gates) who’s been captured by the Comanche Indians. Accompanying him on the mission are a disreputable trio (Claude Akins, Skip Homeier, Richard Rust) who want the reward for her return for themselves.

DVD Special Features Include:
· Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
· Audio Commentary and Introductions for Each Film
· Documentary: Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That

The Tall T has a running time of 78 minutes and is not rated. Decision at Sundown has a running time of 77 minutes and is not rated. Ride Lonesome has a running time of 73 minutes and is not rated. Buchanan Rides Alone has a running time of 79 minutes and is not rated. Comanche Station has a running time of 73 minutes and is not rated. Artwork is available at Welcome to SPHE Connect. Visit Sony Home Entertainment on the Web at Sony Pictures

DVD Catalog # 22885
UPC Code: 0-43396-22885-6
Order Date: 10/2/08
SLP: $59.95

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 05:46 AM

Although this announcement has already been discussed in other threads, I'm still excited to see the official press release.

These films have been my 'holy grail' on DVD, so I am really looking forward to November 4th.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 05:59 AM

Can somebody with access post the artwork?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 06:19 AM

Worth mentioning, Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That is a fun documentary on its own; its framework is basically Quentin Tarantino and Clint Eastwood talking about one of their favorite directors, and I could have spent a couple more hours just watching them talk about movies.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 10:37 AM

DVD release of the year? Have to believe it's in the running.
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 03 2008 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
Can somebody with access post the artwork?

Yes please do!

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 03 2008 - 09:37 AM

Looks great! I've been wanting to see his films since I saw that documentary that's included. Be nice to upgrade it too from the copy I taped off TCM. Posted Image

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted September 03 2008 - 01:04 PM

I just checked with SPHE and they don't have cover art up yet.

I'm really looking forward to this set.
Rich Gallagher

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted September 03 2008 - 07:21 PM

Sweet! I love these Boetticher/Scott westerns!

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers