Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sunset Boulevard - 2 Discer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hi Guys,

while reading on dvdbeaver.com I found the following link to amazon, that indicates an upcoming 2-Disc version of Sunset Boulevard for the 11th of November.
Has anyone some more information?

Amazon.com: Sunset Boulevard (1950) (2pc) (Full Dub Rmst): Holden, Swanson, Von Stroheim: Movies & TV
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Daniel BARBIEUX

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted August 30 2008 - 05:06 PM

According to Digital Bits: Paramount has also set 'Paramount Centennial Collection' DVD re-issues of Sabrina (1954), Sunset Boulevard and Roman Holiday for release on 11/11. We're not sure yet if any new extras will be included, but we'll let you know as soon as we can find out.
Daniel.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 04:40 AM

I wish they would package these like the R2 PARAMOUNT ORIGINALS line instead of that ugly cover they have currently listed. yech!

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted August 31 2008 - 06:56 AM

I wish they would release "The African Queen", "Hurry Sundown" and others before they ask for a double dip again. None are on my radar this time.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 07:40 AM

hope this means an imminent BD release for Sunset Boulevarde

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted August 31 2008 - 08:04 AM

Maybe they could include "Samson & Delilah" as a bonus since it's featured in the movie (and Paramount seems unwilling to release it by itself).

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted August 31 2008 - 05:37 PM

Don't know where the artwork came from, but I thought you might find this interesting:

Sunset Blvd 2-Disc SE: 11/11/08 - DVD Talk Forum

Scroll down to post #4!
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 08:41 PM

They look a bit like the R2 'Award Winning Collection' from Paramount. I don't like them. What's wrong with individual art for a film? Not every cover needs to look the same as the other.
Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 02:13 AM

And just to make all the OCD folks extra crazy, they're numbering these editions.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted September 05 2008 - 07:12 AM

Dear Paramount:

As exciting as the three 'Paramount Centennial Collection” DVD’s announced are, I have these already and the extra’s do not excite me enough to double dip. I applaud you actually celebrating your centennial and would like to suggest that you do so by not only re-mastering some of your past DVD releases but dig into the vault and release some of the great titles that got you to your centennial anniversary. May I have the pleasure of suggesting the following:

Wings, Samson & Delilah, Submarine Command, Somebody Loves Me, Here Come The Girls, Knock On Wood, Strategic Air Command, Lucy Gallant, The Geisha Boy, The Buccaneer, The Pleasure of His Company, Summer and Smoke, Boing boing, The Pigeon That Took Rome, and Who’s Got the Action.

I understand there may be some of the titles listed above that you no longer have the rights to release on DVD and I apologize for any that I may have mentioned. There are a few films that I understand that you do not control any longer that would also make great centennial releases such as Hurry Sundown, and Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon if you could renegotiate those rights.

Congratulations on the celebration and I hope you have at least another 100 years.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 07:51 AM

I assumed that this was just more regurgitated re-releases on Paramount's part, but they look like they've added some significant extras to these versions.

Stalag 17 can't be far behind.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hopefully they will pull a Fox and like their studio classics line start with 3 previously released titles with new extras before releasing the newer titles from the vaults.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 10:50 AM

DVD PACIFIC has it listed for Pre-Order also. It is odd that there has been no official announcements.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 11:15 AM

Over at classicflic.com they have listed the specs for all three Centennial DVDs.

These are the ones for Sunset Blvd.:

* Commentary by Ed Sikov (author of "On Sunset Boulevard: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder")
* Sunset Boulevard: The Beginning (22:46)
* The Noir Side of Sunset Boulevard by Joseph Wambaugh (14:20)
* Sunset Boulevard Becomes a Classic (14:29)
* Two Sides of Ms. Swanson (10:32)
* Stories of Sunset Boulevard (11:17)
* Mad About the Boy: A Portrait of William Holden (11:15)
* Recording Sunset Boulevard (5:48)
* The City of Sunset Boulevard (5:32)
* Morgue Prologue Script Pages
* Franz Waxman and The Music of Sunset Boulevard (14:25)
* Behind the Gates: The Lot (5:03)
* Hollywood Location Map
* Paramount in the '50s (9:32)
* Edith Head - The Paramount Years Featurette (13:42)
* Original Theatrical Trailer (3:12)
* Galleries
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts

Posted September 05 2008 - 03:19 PM

At the upcoming studio meet, someone will have to ask the Paramount reps what their tentative plans are for this collection. Will they actually start releasing catalog titles again? Or is this series just an excuse to double-dip?

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted September 07 2008 - 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
Over at classicflic.com they have listed the specs for all three Centennial DVDs.

These are the ones for Sunset Blvd.:

* Commentary by Ed Sikov (author of "On Sunset Boulevard: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder")
* Sunset Boulevard: The Beginning (22:46)
* The Noir Side of Sunset Boulevard by Joseph Wambaugh (14:20)
* Sunset Boulevard Becomes a Classic (14:29)
* Two Sides of Ms. Swanson (10:32)
* Stories of Sunset Boulevard (11:17)
* Mad About the Boy: A Portrait of William Holden (11:15)
* Recording Sunset Boulevard (5:48)
* The City of Sunset Boulevard (5:32)
* Morgue Prologue Script Pages
* Franz Waxman and The Music of Sunset Boulevard (14:25)
* Behind the Gates: The Lot (5:03)
* Hollywood Location Map
* Paramount in the '50s (9:32)
* Edith Head - The Paramount Years Featurette (13:42)
* Original Theatrical Trailer (3:12)
* Galleries

This is a nice set of extras but, frustratingly, it appears that the "Making Of" featurette (about 25 mins) on the present DVD will not be included on the new one. That's a shame as it has some very interesting content, especially the clips from a recent interview with Nancy Olsen. I might have to keep the present DVD as well just to have this.
Bruce Morrison

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,050 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 08 2008 - 03:41 AM

These tend to show up rather cheap on the HMV racks, I'll probably pick this one up. I remember the previous release got raves from Robert Harris for picture quality, wonder if the played around with it??