What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kill Bill: Volumes 1 & 2 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After Gangs of New York being revisited by Disney on Blu-ray, I was concerned about what might occur with Mr. Tarantino's Kill Bill epic.

After screening them this evening, I can tell you that I need not have been.

The two Kill Bills have been meticulously brought to Blu-ray, with color, densities and black & white images intact, and with a resounding soundtrack ready to clean the lint from one's speakers.

Whether there may have been a bit of digital image manipulation, possibly inclusive of some grain reduction, I cannot be certain, but what I can report is that the films on Blu-ray, enlarged to 100"+, reproduce the look of the film as viewed in the cinema. There should be no reason to nit-pick here.

This is brilliant filmmaking, with superbly reproduced imagery and uncompressed audio delivered via the Blu-ray system. The release should make every home theater aficionado thrilled to add them to a quality film library.

If I have any gripe with Disney, it is that they still refuse to acknowledge the production date of their films, even as a part of copyright. All that we are offered is "2008 Blu-ray Release." For the record they were released in 2003 and 2004.

For educational and historical accuracy it would be nice if the public had easy access to this information.

For anyone with a love of the cinema, Kill Bill: Volumes 1 & 2 should be a required viewing.

Disney has come through with extremely high quality software that makes Blu-ray shine as it should.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I trust your assessment, RAH, and will look forward to the B & W segments being as grainy as intended.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks Robert! I too was a little nervous about how this release would look so I'm glad to read that all is well. And let me just add (because I don't think I've done it before) that I really appreciate your "few words" columns.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
...good to hear. The DVD doesn't look too pretty on a 110". I'm glad to hear it's much like cinema. I'm looking forward to the uncompressed PCM soundtrack at full-rez. I'll pick these up.

Mike

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have not walked up to the screen to count or measure grain.

What I'm reporting is that from a proper seating distance, the final product looks terrific.

That said, there are still an unfortunate number of people out there, unhappy that Blu-ray is our high def format, who are going to do whatever comparisons are necessary in a continued attempt to bash Blu-ray.

I'm certain that there will be reports on line that state that this disc does not measure up to what it might have been if it had been in a different format, even if that format was CED.

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
I agree with you. From the trailer that I have seen I already know its going to look good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The amount of negativity on the internet that has engulfed this hobby has become too much for me. I think a good amount of the criticism has transition from being fair and honest to hyperbole in it's extreme state. I rarely read such postings any longer because they're basically worthless to me. I trust a couple of opinions that I might check out, but I basically purchase any BRD that I want in my collection and let my own eyes and ears make up my mind as to how well a particular BRD looks and sounds on my HT setup. In short, I rather indulge myself in this hobby than to spend countless hours arguing about the finer points of a certain BRD release.

Crawdaddy

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L

Even if Blu-ray is the winning format it doesn't mean I will join the kumbaya brigade. All hail Blu-ray! not me sir. Even if Blu-ray is the next generation format it doesn't mean I will take whatever they give me. Gangs Of New York? Escape From New York? umm what else?

Calling someone being "unhappy" because Blu-ray won is unfair and frankly getting tiresome. I know some people hated my comparison threads because its critical to their beloved format but you know what? I tell it like it is. Its not my fault when I have the equipment to watch a movie at 12' away on a projected 120" screen and see the PQ.

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
Just an observation. I hope RAH or Sam don't take it too personal if some posts from members from my PIX threads are abusive. I will delete them or ban the posters if I could but what can you do?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Xylon,

Your comparisons have been both effective and well done. All are aware I'm not one to give a piece of software a pass just because it's on Blu.

To me the bucket that carries the data is of far less importance than the data and how it decodes to home theater.

What I found troubling in regard to several of the summer's releases is that with all of the additional bandwidth that allows films to look better on Blu, that full advantage was not only not taken of the format, but that data was dumbed down, thereby making the format look bad.

Blu supports everything that home theater could reasonably need, where HD was occasionally cramped for space.

I don't believe that anyone is seeking a gathering of automatons all emoting in unison a la the Thugs in Gunda Din.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I have ceased reading posts created by people who cannot act as educated adults or have a cogent discussion. Easier to simply steer clear of AVS.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well said.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Thanks for the news Mr. Harris. Just goes to show that Gangs of New York was an (unfortunate) anomaly where Disney BD releases are concerned. It's their only severe blemish on their track record so far, which has been otherwise solid/acceptable or (in most cases) outstanding. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Xylon,

As others have stated here, your screen captures are a nice addition to the total "Home Theater" experience and your participation is much appreciated in the non-hostile-spirit of a professional HTF atmosphere.;)

Please keep them coming!

Mr. Harris,

Thanks for your "few words about...",
Kill Bill 1 & 2 have been added to my Blu-ray to-own list!:cool:

Paul

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Looking forward to watching at 185", haha. The theme/trailer music is quite memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks