-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: "The Simpsons" The Complete Eleventh Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#21 of 67 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 10:34 AM

I got the regular version at Target...yes, it's neat that they make so much original art for these sets, but two double slims could have some nice inlay art. Besides, if this is a space-saving measure...the How I Met Your Mother season 3 set I also picked up is slightly smaller with its two slimcases.

Besides, didn't they learn from the season 6 debacle how anal retentive Simpsons fans are about the DVD packaging?

#22 of 67 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 01:19 PM

Quote:
Fox uses slimcases for all their other releases now, why not The Simpsons?

My guess, judging by the latest "Futurama" movie releases, is that Groening and co. are now into "Green" packaging. The Futurama movies are housed in cardboard sleeves as well.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#23 of 67 Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 03:55 PM

I ordered the Krusty head the other day but haven't received it yet. I haven't seen either box yet, Wal-mart had space on the shelves for this but they were empty, I'm going to be disappointed that the head package isn't going to be like the last ones. The inner packaging sounds terrible, I can just see the discs getting scratched up. I'm just glad to be getting the episodes

#24 of 67 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
My guess, judging by the latest "Futurama" movie releases, is that Groening and co. are now into "Green" packaging. The Futurama movies are housed in cardboard sleeves as well.
What the hell is the point? They're DVD covers, it's not like people are gonna just keep the discs and throw the cover out into the forest. In fact, people might be more inclined to do so when the cover is so crappy.

#25 of 67 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild
What the hell is the point? They're DVD covers, it's not like people are gonna just keep the discs and throw the cover out into the forest. In fact, people might be more inclined to do so when the cover is so crappy.

Because one day, no matter how many years off, all of our DVD collections will be in landfills. The cardboard sleeves will decompose, and the plastic ones won't.
-Jay

#26 of 67 RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 04:54 AM

Heh....that coated cardboard will likely take almost as long as plastic to decompose...if it ever does decompose.

Things that are expected to be durable and have a long lifespan should be made of materials that are durable...or they'll end up in the landfill a lot sooner. Save the "green" stuff for disposable items or items that have a short lifespan- not something that people will keep for decades. That's just contributing to the "disposable" culture. Talk about bass ackwards!

Oh..and if anyone needs/wants season 10- it's finally on sale at Amazon for $20.99 - Just ordered my copy!

#27 of 67 Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
That's pretty lame...everything about this release has been totally off, from the delay to the lack of packaging information...odd considering how it's almost universally considered the worst season.

That's just what I was thinking. I can't understand why the release of this season has been fraught with so many little issues.

I just hope that one day, probably in 2020 or something, TCFHE release the complete ultimate super-duper Simpsons complete series set and I can get rid of the mixed-packaging monstrosity that is my current Simpsons DVD shelf. If only they'd stuck with regular digipaks, or better yet dual-slimcases, all the way through.

#28 of 67 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 05:41 AM

They want to be enviromental by not using trays, but making a plastic face and a extra plastic-cover no one wants is OK? Don't buy it

#29 of 67 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,647 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 08 2008 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-M
They want to be enviromental by not using trays, but making a plastic face and a extra plastic-cover no one wants is OK? Don't buy it
It's either that or they wanted to shrink the packaging by using the cardboard interior to save on shelf space. Considering it only saved about an inch of space, I tend to think it's that wanted more environmental friendly packaging (like the Futurama DVDs).

#30 of 67 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 09:49 AM

We should try contacting Fox and give them some feedback so they fix this for season 12 and maybe even make proper Season 11 packaging

Scroll down to the bottom to fill out a form
Fox Home Entertainment

#31 of 67 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,767 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 09:56 AM

Got the Krusty head box today and the regular package is underneath. Which begs the question: Why is the regular version priced higher?

Nice package otherwise.

#32 of 67 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted October 08 2008 - 11:28 AM

Would someone be so kind as to post an image or two. I'm trying to get a mental image on what we're dealing with. I haven't bought, nor seen the Krusty head package yet. I own the previous 5 heads and after reading the last number of posts, I'm torn on whether I should buy this one.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#33 of 67 Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 12:15 PM

This is, without doubt, the WORST DVD packaging I’ve ever seen!

I opted for the “standard” packaging, as I’ve always done since the “head” packaging began. When I opened it… I COULDN’T FIND THE DISCS!!!

There was folded illustrated cardboard, with no discs on either side. For a moment, I was truly dumbfounded. Then I realized that the discs lie loose WITHIN unseen, internal POCKETS of the folded cardboard… and are NOT SECURED by anything.

Not only is this damaging to the Discs (Disc Three already had a noticeable imperfection causing me to return it for an exchange), but these are the MOST DIFFICULT DISCS TO ACCESS of any set I’ve purchased since the early days of 2004! Even the return clerk at Best Buy was flummoxed when opening the package to try to find the discs inside! Can you believe it?

Nothing designed for pleasure should require this much needless effort to remove from its packaging! How does a major studio like FOX approve such a thing! This is more akin to a one-dollar discount store PD package! Every bootleg, I’ve ever owned is more securely and sensibly packaged.

If this is how FOX has begun treating one of their franchise properties like THE SIMPSONS, I really fear for the remaining season of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA… that is, if we get it at all.

Could someone please post that telephone number for FOX that was circulated a while back? It may have been published in the old VOYAGE thread, but I’m hoping someone on this thread has it. I’d like to voice a complaint about this travesty in packaging! And, so should we all! Maybe we can get a “package replacement”! (I can dream, can’t I?)

Oh, wait… I get the joke! They’re using “Krusty Brand” packaging! Never mind!

#34 of 67 RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezzo
I just hope that one day, probably in 2020 or something, TCFHE release the complete ultimate super-duper Simpsons complete series set .

I could just see that- It would probably cost $989.00 and be packaged in some hiddeous pink donut facsimile...or a Smtihers head or something...

#35 of 67 chadHobbick

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted October 08 2008 - 03:11 PM

It would be the giant pink cardboard donut w/the discs making up the interior of the donut, and of course there would be nothing but separating each disc making scratches all but impossible.

Okay, let me get this straight regarding the S11 release, underneath the outer plastic Krusty sleeve is the regular package art that Amazon is charging $10 extra dollars for?

#36 of 67 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Not only is this damaging to the Discs (Disc Three already had a noticeable imperfection causing me to return it for an exchange), but these are the MOST DIFFICULT DISCS TO ACCESS of any set I’ve purchased since the early days of 2004! Even the return clerk at Best Buy was flummoxed when opening the package to try to find the discs inside! Can you believe it?

It really is a joke, they are virturally impossible to remove without having to grab the disc with thumb and forefinger, touching the surface of the disc. If they had to use cardboard, why couldn't they have done it they way they did Futurama where there was a holder for the disc on the surface.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#37 of 67 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,767 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadHobbick
Okay, let me get this straight regarding the S11 release, underneath the outer plastic Krusty sleeve is the regular package art that Amazon is charging $10 extra dollars for?

At least in my case, yes. (Looks like $7 more on Amazon.)

#38 of 67 Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted October 09 2008 - 01:22 PM

I'll echo what everyone else is saying: this packaging is horrendous. This isn't the petty head packaging complaining. It is extremely difficult to get the discs out, and always results in having to touch the disc. This is a complete blunder and I would hope that the studio does not repeat this mistake on further releases.

#39 of 67 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,352 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 08:27 AM

Just got it. YIKES. This is absolutely the worst packaging I've ever seen, and I have over 200 tv-on-dvd sets. I think we should lodge a formal complaint, or make a petition or something. I'm considering taking out all my Simpsons dvds out of their packages and putting them into a binder.

#40 of 67 Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 03:23 PM

I received mine today and the only thing about the set I hate, is the way the discs are housed in the fold out tray. None of the discs were scratched but it was really difficult removing them. They may not be scratched now but they will be over time. Some of my Pearl Jam CDs are in similar cases and they've gotten damaged after repeatedly taking them out and putting them back in the cardboard sleeves, the same thing is going to happen with these Simpsons discs. I would have preferred slimcases. The box the Krusty head is attached to is sturdier than the previous heads, I still prefer the previous ones. I love the artwork on the fold out tray.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow