Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Huge 4th Quarter for Vintage Fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#41 of 98 docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 01:57 AM

That "certain sale" is now rumored to begin this week, and will be 25% off. I'll be picking up Donna Reed, Mr. Peepers S2, Burke's Law S1 V2 (assuming the November 18th release date coincides with the sale), and the Shari Lewis Christmas disc.

Not much recently, just the sale-priced ($26.99) Complete Addams Family at Amazon.

And Gary, I'm pickup up the A&C Universal box as well.

#42 of 98 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 04:32 AM

According to a press release posted at DVDTALK,DD's 25% sale will run from Nov.7-23. I plan to do three orders: 1) Things that are out now, i.e. Perry Mason S3 V1, Untouchables S2 V2 and two western movie collections: Errol Flynn and Budd B's Randolph Scott 2) Nov 11 releases I'll order on the 12th to make sure they get in the sale system: Dr Syn & Annette 3) Nov 18 releases: McHale's Navy and The Texan.

Recently ordered and on the way: Steve Canyon Vol 1
M-Squad
Laredo S2 V1 & S2 V2 preorder
Alpha TV Titles
Zorro S2 Vols 1&2

There is so much out that I am not even going to try to keep up with certain titles unless there are major sales and have watched my backlog.

#43 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gu
Nov 11 releases I'll order on the 12th to make sure they get in the sale system: Dr Syn & Annette

Bob, I'm now a bit worried about "Dr. Syn" being available for the sale. Though I added it to my wish list last week, the description is now showing "Sorry This Product Is Not Available."

Deep Discount Search Results for Dr. Syn

I don't know if DD is holding back on selected "Walt Disney Treasures" titles for the sale or not. While many are available with varying prices, a few others, like "Dr. Syn" are showing as not available (the Annette Funicello release is another). Hopefully, this will be rectified sometime during the sale dates.

#44 of 98 docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 05:30 AM

Forgot to add M-Squad. I really wish DVD Planet would add this to the site. I have a whole bunch of credit there.

#45 of 98 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,200 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 06:36 AM

If the sale starts this Friday I'll be ordering at least 3 Complete TV Series along with a few others. Posted Image I'll keep you posted!Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#46 of 98 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 07:22 AM

Gee, Bob Hug, that is disturbing about Dr Syn and Annette coming up today as not being available. Pre-orders should have shipped today for release day delivery, so hopefully they both are just out of stock and will be available again in time for the sale. Maybe DD understocked. I know Dr Syn is actually out, since HTF member Brent Avery posted Dr Syn screen shots on the HTF SD Film board days ago.

#47 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
Gee, Bob Hug, that is disturbing about Dr Syn and Annette coming up today as not being available. Pre-orders should have shipped today for release day delivery, so hopefully they both are just out of stock and will be available again in time for the sale.

I certainly hope that is the case!

#48 of 98 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,489 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 04 2008 - 10:03 AM

hey gary o if you wind up getting everything on your list can i move into your basement for say a couple of months?Posted Image

#49 of 98 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted November 04 2008 - 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hug
Bob, I'm now a bit worried about "Dr. Syn" being available for the sale. Though I added it to my wish list last week, the description is now showing "Sorry This Product Is Not Available." I don't know if DD is holding back on selected "Walt Disney Treasures" titles for the sale or not. While many are available with varying prices, a few others, like "Dr. Syn" are showing as not available (the Annette Funicello release is another). Hopefully, this will be rectified sometime during the sale dates.
It probably is an oversight - they still list the Complete Get Smart set as being released on 12/9 even though it's out in stores today.

#50 of 98 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 07:21 AM

Dr Syn and the Annette Disney Treasures were not showing up at all yesterday at DeepDiscount and Critic's Choice when searched. They are listed on DD today again, as not available. DD,CC, and DVDPlanet are all owned by Infinity and all Infinity sites are having the 25% sale.

Yesterday,DVDPlanet listed all three of the new Disney Treasures in their list of top 25 pre-orders. This afternoon they were not on it, but the three still come up for order when searched.

Sale watchers claim the sale may actually be active today after 4:00PM CST.

#51 of 98 Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted November 06 2008 - 03:49 PM

I recently bought The Little Rascals DVD collection and was very impressed with the quality of the shorts, the extras, and the fact they are presented in chronological order, even though the folks over at DVD Talk have griped quite a bit about the use of several replacement title cards that were not from the original film masters. Also picked up that 70's gem QUARK.

The next few weeks will be very expensive for me as I am picking up classics including The Streets of San Franciso S2V2, Hawaii Five-0 S5, Cannon S1V2, and The Lone Ranger S1/S2 set.
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#52 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 06 2008 - 11:47 PM

Quote:
Yesterday,DVDPlanet listed all three of the new Disney Treasures in their list of top 25 pre-orders. This afternoon they were not on it, but the three still come up for order when searched.

Sale watchers claim the sale may actually be active today after 4:00PM CST.

DVD Planet is showing a release date for "Dr. Syn" of Nov. 11. But I went ahead and pre-ordered and used the discount code SALE and the selling price reflected the discount (the price was $17.30). I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one, as well as another pre-order, "Burke's Law" season 1, vol. 2 which came out to a bargain $13.48. I also ordered "Route 66" season 2 from them (which is officially out). DVD Planet has a better price than Deep Discount on this and the discounted price is $22.50. Please note that a post over at DVD Talk indicates that to get the discount on pre-orders, add the pre-order item to your cart from the search results page, and NOT the product page for the actual item. Apparently there is something funky going on in DVD Planet's ordering system but it does appear that pre-orders are included as long as they are being released within the sale time frame. So 11/11 (Dr. Syn) and 11/18 (Burke's Law) pre-orders appear to be OK.

Verifiable, working discount codes for DVD Planet are:

25OFFSALE
SALE

I believe these are one-time only codes, so choose wisely.

UPDATE: Looks like "Dr. Syn" has now been pulled off DVD Planet's site; I'm guessing that either Disney or Infinity Resources doesn't want to include the new Disney Treasures in this sale or, possibly, that they had an allotment and have sold out their allotment. My order still shows "Dr. Syn" but who knows whether I'll get it or not.

#53 of 98 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 06:28 AM

Lucky you,Bob, you got in under the wire. It looks like they closed the loophole on Dr Syn, as it didn't come up at DVDPlanet when I searched just now. I guess I'll wait until the 12th and see if Dr Syn shows up again at DVDPlanet and DeepDiscount.

My theory is they expect a lot of orders for the Treasures titles and removed them until the 11th, so they don't have to deal with the irate customers when they find out the new Treasures are not (yet) eligble for the 25% off.

Is the best price for The Texan still DVDPacific?

#54 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Lucky you,Bob, you got in under the wire. It looks like they closed the loophole on Dr Syn, as it didn't come up at DVDPlanet when I searched just now. I guess I'll wait until the 12th and see if Dr Syn shows up again at DVDPlanet and DeepDiscount.

My theory is they expect a lot of orders for the Treasures titles and removed them until the 11th, so they don't have to deal with the irate customers when they find out the new Treasures are not (yet) eligble for the 25% off.

Is the best price for The Texan still DVDPacific?

Bob, I'm not totally convinced that I'll receive "Dr. Syn," so we'll have to see how this all plays out over the coming days and weeks. Anyway, on to "The Texan" . . . .

Buy.com: $35.70 shipped
DVD Pacific: $35.92 shipped
Deep Discount (with 25% discount): $39.90

I have "M Squad" and "Captain Gallant of the Foreign Legion" on order from DVDPacific and am awaiting shipping on those two.

#55 of 98 Bob Gu

Bob Gu

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thanks,Bob.

Speaking of Capt. Gallant, if you've got the Nov. Critic's Choice catalog, check out the product description of it. They think it's about cowboys riding around in Arabia.

#56 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks,Bob.

Speaking of Capt. Gallant, if you've got the Nov. Critic's Choice catalog, check out the product description of it. They think it's about cowboys riding around in Arabia.

I saw it and got a chuckle . . . . a "western" in Morocco, complete with camels!

#57 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 08:20 AM

Well now, this is bizarre . . . . "Dr. Syn" is now showing again available as a pre-order at DVD Planet, at least as of 4:20 p.m., EST.

DVD Planet Search Results for Dr. syn

Update: Checked my order status and "Dr. Syn" has now been removed from my order, but "Burke's Law" is still showing. Incredible! Guess this just isn't gonna happen.

#58 of 98 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 05:35 AM

I don't think it was ever removed from the site, just the ability to pre-order it.

Whenever I tried, they sent me an email stating that the title was "out of print" and promptly removed it from my order.

According to other posters - some news on a Disney site suggested that Disney did not want any of the Treasures titles to be part of the sale.

This could explain why it is such a "problem" title for this sale.

#59 of 98 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF
I don't think it was ever removed from the site, just the ability to pre-order it.

Whenever I tried, they sent me an email stating that the title was "out of print" and promptly removed it from my order.

According to other posters - some news on a Disney site suggested that Disney did not want any of the Treasures titles to be part of the sale.

This could explain why it is such a "problem" title for this sale.

I was afraid that something like this might happen, but I did see that Best Buy b&m will be offering "Dr. Syn" and the other two Disney Treasures releases being released on the 11th at two for $40, as long as both are purchased at the same time. I may go that route.

#60 of 98 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 821 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 03:15 AM

Bob - if you have a Costco near you, they usually offer these titles below $20.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow