Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Walt Disney Press Release: Upcoming Platinum Editions (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:10 AM

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
Announces Expansive Slate of Upcoming
PLATINUM EDITIONS

Pinocchio ∗ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ∗
Fantasia ∗ Fantasia 2000 ∗ Beauty and the Beast
Each Available For the first time on Blu-rayTM Hi-Def

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Launching Disney’s New
BD Live Network - Worldwide – Fall 2009!

Berlin, Germany, August 28, 2008—Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) proudly unveils five additions to the celebrated Platinum Collection of animated features to be released on DVD and for the first time ever on Disney Blu-ray Hi-Def. These include some of Disney’s most beloved classics Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast. Each will be available for a limited time only, in new multi-disc sets featuring rarely seen footage and an array of new bonus features.

Fittingly the one that started it all for Walt Disney, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first feature length animated film ever made, will be the title that will mark a new era in home entertainment around the world, launching Disney’s worldwide BD-Live Network, a revolutionary technological breakthrough in home entertainment that will connect family and friends, allowing unprecedented interactivity and ease, from anywhere in the world.

Disney’s BD-Live Network will be initially launched in the U.S. only, with the first Platinum Edition Blu-ray release, Sleeping Beauty 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition, available on October 7, 2008.

Bob Chapek, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Worldwide President, commented, ”We are excited to announce a magical slate of Platinum titles for the first time on Blu-ray high definition, this celebrated collection of animated features demonstrates Disney’s commitment to deliver great content.”

“The landscape for the Blu-ray format is very healthy, and we believe that the enhanced movie experiences that the format provides, such as Disney’s BD-Live network, offer consumers the chance to reinvent the experience of watching movies in their homes, and the interactivity and connectivity that is being provided will truly make the family room relevant again,” continues Mr. Chapek.

Gordon Ho is Executive Vice President of Marketing and Business Development for Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) adds, “Disney’s BD-Live experience will enrich and deepen the overall consumer experience, and we are delighted that, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be the one that will launch Disney’s BD-Live network worldwide.”

The Platinum release roll-out will be:
Pinocchio, the beloved story of a wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy, comes to Platinum Edition DVD and Disney Blu-ray in spring 2009. Disney's second full-length animated movie, Pinocchio won two Oscars®, one for Best Score and another for the unforgettable song "When You Wish upon a Star.” It returns for the first time since 2002.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, honored with a special Academy Award® for screen innovation this movie has been unavailable since 2001. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition will be released in the fall of 2009.

Walt Disney’s experimental masterpiece Fantasia won two honorary Oscars for its innovative use of animation and music. Most recently released in 2000, the restored and remastered Fantasia Platinum Edition will be available in 2010. Alongside this release, a newly restored and remastered Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition, will be available. Fantasia 2000 begins where its predecessor, Fantasia, left off, with seven completely new segments and the return of the popular “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”, featuring breathtaking images coupled with classical music favorites.
In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney.

Beauty and the Beast, the only animated film ever nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Picture, earned a breathtaking six Academy Award® nominations and won two Oscars®. Beauty in the Beast Platinum Edition will be available in fall 2010.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,049 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:22 AM

NOW we find out what happened to Destino. I was suspecting something like this, based on the (extremely) brief mention of Destino in Fantasia 2000.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 888 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:40 AM

I hope Fantasia is genuinely "restored and remastered" and not the politically correct censored version that has been around since the 1970s.

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 28 2008 - 07:01 AM

Actually since 1963, but I too hope for an uncensored version. However, with Disney capitulating to every complaint over "The Princess and the Frog," I am not optimistic.

On the other hand, there's yet another Song of the South rumor.

There's always seamless branching to remove the segment for those who don't want their children to see the reality of what racial imagery in popular culture was like in 1940.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,523 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney.

So is Destino also going to be a Blu-ray release? It's hard to tell for sure from the way the press release is worded but it looks like the answer is "no". Hopefully (in either case) it will still get the same treatment it would have received as a Treasures release.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 07:29 AM

Ah, Destino. It's a long wait till 2010 but at least we'll get it on Blu-ray (I take it, to me it sounds like it could be included in some kind of Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 collection.)

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 08:02 AM

We really don't know anything about the Extras except for BD-Live which I believe you need a blu-ray player with the latest equipment to use. In other words it will not work with all blu-ray players. Just BD-Live won't work with all blu-ray players, the films themselves will play on all blu ray players.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 02:38 AM

I surely hope that Disney concentrates more on the collector's this time around. The original DVD of Snow White was great, but subsequent Platinum Editions were absolute GARBAGE, with only a handful of worthwhile supplements and contained tonnes of kiddie games and filler instead.
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted August 31 2008 - 03:03 AM

Blu-ray or no, I just don't see me ponying up for TWO more copies of Fantasia. If both versions are included in a single release, then I will seriously consider purchasing, but if I have to choose between the two then Fantasia 2000 will surely lose out.
Gary

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,640 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Actually since 1963, but I too hope for an uncensored version. However, with Disney capitulating to every complaint over "The Princess and the Frog," I am not optimistic.

What complaints? This is news to me. I'd like to know more.

Edit: Forget the question. I looked it up. TPaTF is going to be one to avoid. Not only is it just more typical Disney fairy tale Schlock, it is now PC contaminated fairy tale schlock.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 31 2008 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_L
I surely hope that Disney concentrates more on the collector's this time around. The original DVD of Snow White was great, but subsequent Platinum Editions were absolute GARBAGE, with only a handful of worthwhile supplements and contained tonnes of kiddie games and filler instead.

So I'm not the only one who feels that way? I refused to buy Peter Pan and The Little Mermaid because they screwed up the transfers on both (and the sound on Mermaid), especially after trying to get Peter Pan right thrice they still can't.

Unfortunately, there's no way these will sell badly unless there's another great depression, and I mean bread lines from town to town, not just people cutting back on luxuries. So as long as the ink is black the status quo will remain as it is: patronizing releases aimed at mommies who will buy anything with the name "Disney" slapped on it if it shuts their kids up for 90 minutes. Consider that they seem to be deliberately trying to find the dumbest people for their focus groups (which is why they stopped with 2-disc editions of new films because people couldn't figure out which disc the movie was on; try looking on the one that said "Disc 1: Main Feature")

Why would Fantasia 2000 need to be restored? How much damage can a film accumulate in less than a decade?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Why would Fantasia 2000 need to be restored? How much damage can a film accumulate in less than a decade?
None, if it was created digitally. Probably just marketing again.

Given the amount of work that seems to have gone into the upcoming Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray (a film that wasn't even in the Platinum line originally) I don't think we need to worry about lazy editions for now. Well, if you want to complain about a lack of extras then that might be a different thing though, personally I don't care about any of that, but it's not like they're the only company re-releasing titles with nothing new.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 31 2008 - 02:30 PM

Disney isn't the only one re-releasing titles with nothing new. But they did make it into an art form.

I was just hoping that they would throw the grown-ups a bone. When I watch a movie I don't want to communicate with strangers via the internet. I want to focus all my attention on the movie.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 01 2008 - 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_L
Bambi has excellent supplements for the collectors. Aladdin, The Lion King, Lady and the Tramp, and Beauty and the Beast weren't that bad, either (though the latter had really bad compression problems for the film itself).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,049 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 01 2008 - 02:04 PM

Yes, the ones listed by Brandon were great packages, compression issues on Beauty & the Beast notwithstanding, which were caused by Disney encoding 3 separate transfers on the same disc, instead of using seamless branching or multi-angle. I never bought Little Mermaid or Peter Pan, because what I saw in those packages gave me no reason to upgrade. If Disney realises that catering to the collector market will boost BD sales, they'll do well. Based on what it looks like they're doing for Destino, I think they're headed in the right direction.

One caveat: Disney did right by The Little Mermaid when they included The Little Match Girl as a bonus feature. I would love to see that short in HD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 05:45 AM

Blu-ray is definantly the reason why I am back into HT in a major way. And I actually want to build a large video library because of the quality that Blu-ray offers. I can not wait for more Disney classic titles to come out on Blu-ray. Posted Image Posted Image

I will be buying Sleeping Beauty for the first time on HD Blu-ray.

And I can not wait for the following titles:
Pinocchio ∗ Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ∗
Fantasia ∗ Fantasia 2000 ∗ Beauty and the Beast
Each Available For the first time on Blu-rayTM Hi-Def

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Launching Disney’s New
BD Live Network - Worldwide – Fall 2009!

I also would love to see the following Disney titles on Blu-ray:
  • Anastasia
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire
  • Dinosaur 2
  • A Bugs Life
  • Mary Poppins
  • Freaky Friday (2003)
  • Mulan
  • The Rescuers
  • James And The Giant Peach
  • Angels In The Outfeild
  • The Santa Clause
  • Treasure Island (1950)
  • Peter Pan (1953)
  • Aladdin
  • Hercules
  • Pocahontas
  • Davy Crockett (1956)
  • Dumbo (1941)

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,640 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 06:12 AM

Dave,

Anastasia is 20th Century Fox, not Disney. Don Bluth and Gary Goldman directed it.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,294 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 06:31 AM

You are very correct Edwin, wow am I embarased. Posted Image

I was reading this thread and did a search with Disney in the search topic at DVD Empire. And Anastasia turned up in the search along with all the other Disney titles. But I was in such a hurry to finish my response and move on to another topic that I missed where it said 20th Century Fox. Posted Image

That should teach me for being in a hurry. Posted Image Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Nathan*W

Nathan*W

Screenwriter

• 1,069 posts

Posted September 02 2008 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
compression issues on Beauty & the Beast notwithstanding, which were caused by Disney encoding 3 separate transfers on the same disc, instead of using seamless branching or multi-angle.

I am most excited by this title for that exact reason. They should be able to make Beauty & the Beast shine with the storage capacity that Blu-ray has to offer.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow