Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MGM Press Release: Pink Panther Ultimate Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,048 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:05 AM

EVERYONE’S FAVORITE DETECTIVE IS BACK
AND BETTER THAN EVER!

PINK PANTHER
ULTIMATE COLLECTION

An 18 Disc Combination of Film and Cartoon Classics Arrives
November 25th From MGM Home Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, CA – Put on your detective hat as MGM Home Entertainment uncovers the best of the Pink Panther when the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection purrs onto DVD November 25. One of MGM’s largest and broadest appealing film franchises is now in one complete furry box set, including nine film favorites, nine cartoon classics and the quintessential Pink Panther encyclopedia, “Pink Panther, The Ultimate Guide to the Coolest Cat in Town!” written by Jerry Beck. Included in the set is the new collector’s edition of the Oscar® nominated film The Pink Panther (1964) staring Peter Sellers as the bumbling Inspector Clouseau who tries to catch a jewel thief who’s right under his nose. This special collector’s edition can only be found in the box set and contains over 60 minutes of never-before-seen footage. The 2006 version of The Pink Panther starring Golden Globe® nominee** Steve Martin (Father of the Bride) and directed by Shawn Levy (Night at the Museum) is also included in the set.

With over 190 cartoons, everyone’s favorite feline claws his way out of trouble again and again. The nine cartoon collections include the brilliant, Oscar®-winning* The Pink Phink as well as the only two cartoons (Sink Pink, Pink Ice) in which the mischievous cool cat speaks. Pink Panther Ultimate Collection will be available for the suggested retail price of $199.98 U.S. / $349.98 Canada. Prebook is October 29.

* 1965, Best Short Subject, Cartoons
** Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy/Musical: Father of the Bride Part II (1995), Parenthood (1989), Roxanne (1987), All of Me (1984, Pennies From Heaven (1981)

Pink Panther Ultimate Collection Disc Specifics

9 Film Favorites: Length:
o The Pink Panther Collector’s Edition 115 min.
o A Shot in the Dark 102 min.
o Inspector Clouseau 119 min.
o The Pink Panther Strikes Again 103 min.
o Revenge of the Pink Panther 99 min.
o Trail of the Pink Panther 96 min.
o Curse of the Pink Panther 109 min.
o Son of the Pink Panther 93 min.
o The Pink Panther (2006) 93 min.

9 Cartoon Classics: Length:
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 1 158 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 2 155 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 3 158 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 4 171 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 5: The Ant and the Aardvark 111 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 6: The Inspector Vol. 1 107 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 7: The Inspector Vol. 2 119 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 8: Roland and Ratfink 119 min.
o Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 9: 119 min.

Pink Panther Ultimate Collection
Price: $199.98 U.S. / $349.98 Canada
Street Date: November 25, 2008
Prebook Date: October 29, 2008
Catalog Number: M111844
Total Run Time: 965 minutes
MPAA: NR
Language: English and French
Audio Features: English Dolby 5.1 Surround

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:19 AM

How can it be an "ultimate collection" if it doesn't have Return of the Pink Panther?

MGM should either get that movie back from Universal, or work out a joint release to include it into their package.

In any case, I won't be buying any more PP movies in SD. Bring on the Blu-rays.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,104 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 28 2008 - 06:34 AM

Agreed. No way you're getting me to spend $350 Cdn (am I reading that right?) to get the much-maligned Inspector Clouseau.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,116 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 28 2008 - 10:06 AM

too pricey for whats just a repack right?

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,480 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted August 28 2008 - 10:23 AM

Sadly it seems no Pink Panther megaset will ever really be complete because one of the funniest in the series, 1975's Return of the Pink Panther was made by another studio.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 10:45 AM

$349.98 Canada

Ridiculous.

MGM can keep their stupid "furry" box set and the new Steve Martin movie while they're at it. Amd the Pink Panther with 60 additional minutes of never before seen footage is not the Pink Panther. It is a truncated movie re-edited with lots of scraps from the cutting room floor that are probably superfluous and should have been included as extra reels in the bonus features of the previous set. This is a big waste of money and sounds really dumb to me.

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 10:49 AM

PS: Have to say that I'm surprised to see these two additions...

- Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 7: The Inspector Vol. 2 119 min.
- Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 8: Roland and Ratfink 119 min.

Now what WOULD have been a sensible repackage would have been the COMPLETE animated series along with ALL the Inspector cartoons, The Ant and Aardvark, Roland and Ratfink PLUS the TV and Christmas specials that were released separately. At least THAT would have been complete and comprehensive and I probably would have double dipped for it.

I hope the above two discs are released individually as well. I'm sure we'll see a press release about them shortly.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou
Sadly it seems no Pink Panther megaset will ever really be complete because one of the funniest in the series, 1975's Return of the Pink Panther was made by another studio.

This has been mentioned time and again on the Internet, but it bears repeating. "Return of the Pink Panther" was released and co-financed by United Artists, but was mainly a production of ITC Entertainment. At the time of the film's making, ITC had acquired the rights to the "Panther" franchise as part of a plan to produce a television miniseries, but instead they decided to make a feature film. After its financial success, UA bought back the rights to the "Panther" franchise for more sequels.

UA did license the network television rights to ABC for "Return"'s network run, but after that the rights began to change. Under contract, ITC kept most major ancillary rights--this included television syndication, which explains why television prints have included the ITC television logo at the head of the film, instead of the then-current UA/Transamerica logo.

The video rights were also originally licensed by ITC. CBS/Fox Video formally held video rights to the ITC library, then later passed on to Artisan Entertainment (now Lions Gate).

It is rather ironic that UA's sister studio MGM holds theatrical distribution rights to the ITC library (including "Return", "Capricorn One", and "On Golden Pond"). Even more amazing when you find out for yourself that UA still holds the copyright to "Return".

A few years back, after ITC's numerous management changes, Universal's Focus Features division acquired some rights to "Return", which is why MGM hasn't (and will not) issue "Return" for any future Panther DVD Box Set...at least here in the U.S. Any future DVD release of "Return" will be through Universal/Focus. However, we know of a box set release in Germany that has ALL of the original Pink Panther movies, including "Return", on DVD (I guess MGM made some deal with Universal/Focus).

But, here's where it gets more confusing, friends...in 2008, MGM acquired from Granada International (ITC's successor), for the first time, domestic television and internet distribution rights, which is why when you start seeing "Return" on your favorite cable channel or internet streaming service, you will see the MGM logo before the "ITC/Jewel Productions/Pimlico Productions presents" title card. All other rights beyond that are now with Universal/Focus, in partnership with ITC/Granada.

Any other questions, my Pink Students???

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 01:51 PM

I would just like to point out to the dimwits in the marketing/finance/sales department or whoever's responsible...

$199.98 USD = 210.042 CAD

(live rates at 2008.08.29 01:49:03 UTC)

United States Dollars Canada Dollars
1 USD = 1.05031 CAD 1 CAD = 0.952098 USD

Where does this $350.00 price tag come from?!?!?

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,104 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 28 2008 - 02:03 PM

Ignorance/stupidity.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted September 01 2008 - 09:33 AM

First comment - the canadian price of $349.98 must be a misprint by someone or else a ripoff!

In August 2006 in Germany all 6 films including the Return was issued in a 7 DVD Box. On the slipcase were the logos of MGM, Sony and Universal. The 7th disc has extras. This box is long out of print. On the slipcase stated "Film Collection remastered" for the 5 films - NOT for "Return of the Pink Panther".
-------------------------
The above list is a bit confusing in the sequence and names of the films. The following films have Peter Sellers:

The Pink Panther (NOT "The Pink Panther Collector’s Edition")
A Shot in the Dark

Return of the Pink Panther (NOT included - Universal)

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Revenge of the Pink Panther
Trail of the Pink Panther (with bits and pieces of the deceased Peter Sellers)
---------------------------------
The following do not have Peter Sellers:

Curse of the Pink Panther
Son of the Pink Panther
Inspector Clouseau

The Pink Panther (2006)
--------------------------
NOTE: Missing from the "Pink Panther Ultimate Collection" is the extras disc.

EDIT: I meant to say that recently in Germany was released "The ANT and the AARDVARK" and the 2 Inspector DVDs. None of these were released before

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted September 01 2008 - 12:54 PM

The Pink Panther (NOT "The Pink Panther Collector’s Edition")
A Shot in the Dark

Return of the Pink Panther (NOT included - Universal)

The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Revenge of the Pink Panther
---------------------------------

Now that is something you wouldn't expect in a DVD set.

Quite the collection indeed

He was cremated so I guess it could be done.

Maxx

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Keith I

Keith I

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts
  • LocationFive-Oh!

Posted October 09 2008 - 06:18 PM

With the announcement of the Pink Panther Cartoon Collection in a separate release (see TV Shows on DVD's announcement), I'd like to know (just as Marco asked):

Will Vol. 7 of the Inspector cartoons be released by itself? I don't need the other volumes and won't buy this set just to get Vol. 7.

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted October 10 2008 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore Maxx

Maxx
That's SICK!
(although Mr. Sellers may have appreciated it ;-) )

So, in order too get all the movies & movie extras one would have too buy 3 box sets?
No thanks.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 17 2008 - 08:42 PM

any reviews yet?

I want to know what this SE is all about (new transfer?) and how it compares with the 2004 release. Does anyone know if we'll have the option to watch the film in it's original theatrical form, without the added footage? Will it be presented as a separate feature selection or "seamlessly" integrated into the movie?

I would also like to see more pictures of the interior packaging...

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Jerome

Jerome

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted December 19 2008 - 11:14 PM

I can't find a review for this disc, especially about the never seen footage60 minutes.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted December 21 2008 - 12:18 AM

There was a review mentioned in the PP Cartoon thread. The link for this was at:

Pink Panther Ultimate Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 11:35 AM

I have made an update to one of my posts on the rights issues to "Return of the Pink Panther". I mention this because some of you may have downloaded, from a certain internet streaming service, a new print of "Return" that bears the MGM logo at the head of the picture instead of the "ITC presents" card you've seen on television prints for the past three decades. Also, most of you are aware that MGM now handles television distribution for "Return" as part of a deal they made with the Starz movie networks for the pay cable rights to the Panther series.

Scroll above to my update and you'll get the whole picture as of January, 2009.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,157 posts

Posted January 19 2009 - 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_C
This has been mentioned time and again on the Internet, but it bears repeating. "Return of the Pink Panther" was released and co-financed by United Artists, but was mainly a production of ITC Entertainment. At the time of the film's making, ITC had acquired the rights to the "Panther" franchise as part of a plan to produce a television miniseries, but instead they decided to make a feature film. After its financial success, UA bought back the rights to the "Panther" franchise for more sequels.

UA did license the network television rights to ABC for "Return"'s network run, but after that the rights began to change. Under contract, ITC kept most major ancillary rights--this included television syndication, which explains why television prints have included the ITC television logo at the head of the film, instead of the then-current UA/Transamerica logo.

The video rights were also originally licensed by ITC. CBS/Fox Video formally held video rights to the ITC library, then later passed on to Artisan Entertainment (now Lions Gate).

It is rather ironic that UA's sister studio MGM holds theatrical distribution rights to the ITC library (including "Return", "Capricorn One", and "On Golden Pond"). Even more amazing when you find out for yourself that UA still holds the copyright to "Return".

A few years back, after ITC's numerous management changes, Universal's Focus Features division acquired some rights to "Return", which is why MGM hasn't (and will not) issue "Return" for any future Panther DVD Box Set...at least here in the U.S. Any future DVD release of "Return" will be through Universal/Focus. However, we know of a box set release in Germany that has ALL of the original Pink Panther movies, including "Return", on DVD (I guess MGM made some deal with Universal/Focus).

But, here's where it gets more confusing, friends...in 2008, MGM acquired from Granada International (ITC's successor), for the first time, domestic television and internet distribution rights, which is why when you start seeing "Return" on your favorite cable channel or internet streaming service, you will see the MGM logo before the "ITC/Jewel Productions/Pimlico Productions presents" title card. All other rights beyond that are now with Universal/Focus, in partnership with ITC/Granada.

Any other questions, my Pink Students???

Good breakdown, my Pink Professor. To help solve some of the minutiae...

Polygram, during it's tenure as a mini-major in the mid-'90's, bought out ITC entirely, after having fruitful homevideo licensing arrangements for things like the "THUNDERBIRDS" TV series. When Polygram agreed to be bought out by Universal, all the ITC properties were part of the pre-'96 library that was sold off to MGM. However, to offset the debt incurred by purchasing that library, MGM agreed to sell off the ITC library to Carlton Communications, who had just finished acquiring the Rank Organisation library, and, ironically, licensed those titles for 99 years to the Samuel Goldwyn Company, which was subsequently bought out by MGM. Then, a few years ago, Carlton agreed to be swallowed up by bigger UK broadcasting outfit Granada. Lost yet?
I never got the specifics, but it would appear that while the library was sold off, MGM kept ITC's TV syndication division for themselves and retained all their licensing arrangements (ITC made deals with pre-Disney-owned Miramax, CBS Films, ABC Pictures, and other smaller outfits). This would easily explain why they are handling TV broadcast and internet streaming for RETURN.

So how did Universal get DVD rights to RETURN but no other ITC titles? I don't quite know that one, but I suspect it is the same loophole that also allowed them to retain BACKBEAT, a '94 Polygram production that should have gone to MGM as well. It must have something to do with the messy divorce that Universal made with their Polygram/October assets (and their TV arm) when they sold them to Barry Diller's USA Films, then reacquired when Vivendi bought Diller out and fused them all back into Focus Features.

Bottom line - MGM should take a page from their own book from when they bought out every loose James Bond property to stop rival leaks, and pay Universal what they want to get RETURN back for DVD once and for all.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   wallis87

wallis87

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 08:56 AM

how do i get replacement discs for the ultimate colection cartoon colection discs 4 and 5

Forum Nav Content I Follow