What's new

Our Gang SILENTS coming from Laughsmith (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I've been tracking this website for at least 3 years now. They seem like a small operation and this sort of work takes a long time. I hope that they haven't hit a snag and that things are only taking longer than they originally planned.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Laughsmith said this at Silentcomedians.com
Laughsmith
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
This set contains some of the very best surviving prints, restored and remastered in HD with breathtaking results, and footage that is unavailable anywhere else. Many archives and generous individuals have contributed to help make this the definitive silent Our Gang collection.
(Yes, Joe, there is also an additional disc featuring a large selection of rare imitator comedies.)
The release has been delayed because of a series of disputes with our former distributor. When these issues have been resolved we will report the details here.
We truly appreciate everyone's continued patience.

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Sadly the dispute between the DVD producer and the distributor has forced the producer to hand over all work and rights to this project to the distributor.

All that has been done was a brief airing on the TCM network.

Restoration was not fully completed, and a horrible generic guitar music track was added. The same rifts play from short to short.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hi Paul,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. I've only ever seen silent Our Gangs in film festivals and it would have been wonderful to supplement my numerous DVDs of their talkies with such a set.

They certainly deserve better treatment than this.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Although this has bean confirmed dead for years, why now the sudden detailed update? Has it been sworn to secrecy up until now?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Essanay Paul said:
Sadly the dispute between the DVD producer and the distributor has forced the producer to hand over all work and rights to this project to the distributor.

All that has been done was a brief airing on the TCM network.

Restoration was not fully completed, and a horrible generic guitar music track was added. The same rifts play from short to short.
Hi Paul!

That repetitive generic guitar music puts me to sleep--a very bad thing when comedy is involved! :P

Much like the Laurel & Hardy team silents, Hal Roach's Rascals deserve a far better presentation then they've been given overall!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It is indeed, a shame that the extant Pathé 'Our Gang' silents appear destined to remain in Public Domain Hell! :(

So far as I know, the only collection of 'Our Gang' silents that have seen a decent commercial DVD release are 14 of the 17 extant MGM distributed 1927 - 1929 Two Reelers, which were issued by German company Kinowelt, on a 2 DVD PAL Region 2 disc set in 2009.

The above set is available via Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Die-kleinen-Strolche-1927-1929-Stummfilme/dp/B002880H7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454456441&sr=8-1&keywords=Die+kleinen+Strolche:+1927-1929+(Stummfilme)+[2+DVDs]

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks