Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good Speakers for Onkyo SR576? (2 Channel)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 MacAztec

MacAztec

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hello. I helped my Aunt pick out the Onkyo TR-576 receiver (I can't post a link).

She has a pair of old JBL bookshelfs, and just listens to music with them. Her old receiver went out, so I picked this one out for her.

I want to buy her a decent pair of speakers that will sound really nice. She listens to a lot of Classic Rock and Jazz. My price range is about $200-$250 for a pair.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

#2 of 3 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hmm. Does she have a subwoofer?

Most bookshelf (or monitor speakers-- bookcases can interfere with the sound) don't get into the lowest octave, which is rather important for the bass guitar, drums and string bass.

Some people don't mind the bass rolloff, but it can get fatiguing. That said, I have b&w dm303s in the rear. Decent sounding, but they don't get very low.

#3 of 3 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,675 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted August 28 2008 - 11:21 AM

It's near impossible to accurately recommend speakers for someone else, but I recently bought a pair of Infinity Beta 20's and I'm quite happy with them. MSRP was $399 but they're being closed out. If your aunt likes a "brite" sounding speaker then these might not be for her. I consider these to be somewhat laid-back. A little mellow, even. Not sure if she would like them, but they would be my first choice for a new speaker @ $200. The cherry one's are a little better looking but are also a few dollars more.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.