What's new

NYT confirms upcoming Disney Platinum titles coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Provided they're new restorations (apart from the CAPS titles of course), I will be getting all of them. Fantasia 2000 should look stunning in HD.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Looking forward to Pinocchio, Snow White, and Beauty and the Beast in stunning HD. One thing I like is that they mentioned a two year window.

-R

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just in time for my son to be old enough to enjoy them.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to these.

However, on the discussion of remaining true to the original intent, I wonder this will play out. I mean will there be certain changes or alterations to what it was intended to look like? How is film grain handled on these?

Maybe RAH can chime in.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I hope if they can't find all of Deems Taylor's narration for the Roadshow version of Fantasia that they also offer the 1990 50th Anniversary print in the package.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is why some thought Blu would win; The Mouse that ROARED!!!
The 800 lb home video gorilla has just entered the room (HD theater room, that is! ;-) ).

I think "B&TB" off that list will be the BIGGEST improvement over SD!

PerryD

Supporting Actor
My guess on street dates: Pinocchio (Mar '09), Snow White (Sept '09), Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 (Mar '10), and Beauty & the Beast (Sept '10).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As to the film grain I think RAH said something about how a case could be made that the original medium is the artwork that is filmed which wouldn't have film grain. I'm pretty sure all these will be DNR'd probably by Lowry which should at least keep the details.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Very worried about Pinocchio.

Will it be that version released on Region 2 DVDs a few years ago, wiped clean of every brush stroke?

Very worried.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

The problem with that is that the artwork was only intended for photography, not display by itself.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thought I remember from the SD Days that "THoND" R2 was clearer (less artifacts) than the R1. Guess its a title by title basis?

Eric F

Screenwriter
Maybe the popularity of these titles will convince Disney to reopen their traditional animation studio? Didn't think so...:frowning:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

From what I understand they are already doing this. One of the first things John Lasseter did when he took over the creative reins at Disney was to close down Disney's in house digital animation unit and restart the traditional animation department.

From what I understand, the Goofy short "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" was the first film to come out of the new traditional animation unit. And if that is in fact the case then in my opinion they are off to a great start.

Doug

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I will buy Fantasia only if they finally release the original uncensored version.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Haven't seen it. It's a shame they removed it from the beginning of the National Treasure: Book of Secrets BD. Would have liked to have seen it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
While these films are not really of interest to me, I still came in this thread because I think this is great news for BD & home theater enthusiasts.

Hopefully just the tip of the iceberg for not only all sorts of Disney films, but for the other studios to get busy with some of their classics too.

I cannot get enough BD. It's really exciting to see it taking off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks