What's new

Do you find yourself skipping SD titles and 'waiting' for Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
As a big horror fan, September and October have been the most exciting times when it comes to DVD releases.

As I look at this year's releases only a few really catch my eye. I'm very excited about MGM's Child's Play disc and their Pumpkinhead SE. Normally I'd plunk down the cash for these suckers in a heartbeat.

But now I'm just wondering how long until they hit Blu-Ray?

I'm at the point where I stop and consider buying SD titles because I'd really rather get the HD version. I realize that Fox/MGM has been particularly shoddy in porting extras over the Blu-Ray so far, but that's another problem altogether.

Concerning the aforementioned titles, though, I really think I'm going to hold off.

Anyone else been procrastinating over SD purchases of late?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yep. How the West was Won and various other titles have me holding off until I'm ready to buy a Blu-Ray player.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I dunno' ... I just can't stop purchasing DVDs
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I *still* don't own a Blu-ray player, but have purchased both the DVD and the Blu-ray of a few titles. ("Enchanted" comes to mind.) I figure I can still use the DVD of the title on secondary displays, laptops, and portable DVD players.

One of these days I'll find a profile 2.0 BD deck at a decent price (with good DVD upconversion) and then I'll *finally* be able to view the 5 or so BDs that I've purchased since HD-DVD folded.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no.

I've had no problem passing on newer stuff that has (had) a pretty good chance of coming to Blu-ray. It worked with The Mist
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
, though I'm still waiting for Death Proof and Planet Terror. :confused:

SD double dips I can also easily pass up.

More obscure stuff like the Columbia Hammer sets, Budd Boetticher set, etc, that I've been waiting years to come to DVD? No way.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Luckily, most new titles I want are being released on BD, although sometimes later than street date, or not until the other format died (i.e. Transformers, There Will Be Blood, etc.).

If something comes out that is not yet on the BD slate, I may rent it, but I'm pretty much done buying DVDs unless it's completely clear that it will never come out on BD. Luckily, I've bought nearly everything I want on DVD so I'm not tempted to buy new ones.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still buy alot of TV on DVD since the overwhelming majority of those title won't be out for years (if ever).

If a movie is new to DVD, I'll buy it because if it took 11 years to hit DVD, I don't see it coming to Blu-ray too soon either.

And it has to be an extremely nice special edition to get me to rebuy a movie on DVD though.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I have not the slightest urge to buy SD movies anymore. I held off on titles like Pan's Labyrinth until it hit BR, and that was unquestionably the right choice.

The last one that tempted me was the Robocop special edition DVD. But I held off on that (and I held off on that movie-only cash-in Robocop BR that Fox released. I'm waiting for the full port).

--Jefferson Morris

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm just about done with SD altogether, with a couple of exceptions - those rarities and a few TV series that we may never get on BD, and if we do, I love em so much I will double dip.

For example The Three Stooges Collection which is great by the way. Vol. 3 in SD is out today. A few more seasons of Cheers & a few other TV series. Get em while we can.

But for the most part, I'm not even looking through the SD sections much anymore especially new movies.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm no longer buying DVDs - in fact I've been selling many off the last year. Other than some TV shows, I plan on replacing what I have left once they reach BD one day. I would certainly have no problems renting a DVD, but every purchase other than a TV show is BD.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Ditto what TravisR said. TV series are so slow to come out on BluRay that I will sometimes get the DVD for a tv series. But films, I am done with dvd.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Renting NO, but purchasing YES, with some exceptions like box sets of a particular actor or actress or westerns box sets and finally some TV box sets

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't have a Blu player yet, but I have certainly cut back DVD purchases to a very select few. There still aren't enough BD titles for me to warrant diving in yet, but I suspect that by Xmas player pricing may be low enough to test the waters.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
In some categories. Major studio productions do not get purchased on DVD any more, even if there's not a concurrent Blu-ray announced. Foreign films still get picked up on DVD, although I'm starting to resist there - I really want the Weinsteins to start releasing their Dragon Dynasty stuff in HD, for instance.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
since just B4 "Sky Captain &TWoT" was released on SD DVD.
So, Feb. '05 at least.
I thought Gwyneth Paltrow's hair was the star of the show & couldn't wait too see it in HD at home!
I would buy something from the 5 buck bin or something under 10 bucks a disc; that I thought I wouldn't "need" (or wouldn't want to wait for) the HD version (that didn't always work out! :-0 ).

There have been a few threads like this B4, BTW.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Absolutely. The Mist is a good, recent example.

However, I will not buy Blus and hang on to SE DVDs if the studio is short-sighted and drops supplements (i.e. Carrie, Amityville Horror).

Thanks goodness Poltergeist wound up at Warner...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I stopped buying DVDs for the most part a year or so before starting into Blu-Ray. I knew then what is occurring now... I have such a preference for watching on Blu-Ray that most of my DVDs go totally unwatched.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It depends upon the category of release for me.

For new film titles ( just leaving theatrical presentation ) I will skip around 90 percent of SD DVD only releases. If I really want to see the film then I'll make an exception (last one that I can recall was In Bruges which I enjoyed tremendously.)

For catalog titles I'm getting too old to wait for the next generation.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
After having waited a decade for a film like Road House I'm not going to keep waiting. Film noir and a lot of other classic cinema are must haves regardless of the format.

For television, if a series has been receiving HD releases then I'll wait for the Blu-ray release in most cases. (Speaking of which, I sure wish that Universal would get on the ball with Battlestar Galactica after teasing us with Season 1 on HD-DVD.) I still purchase a lot of SD television because the media (especially when on sale) represents a great entertainment per dollar ratio. Some Blu-ray television releases I will skip based on price. For instance, a half season of Prison Break: S3 was over-priced IMHO and I'll wait for (hopefully) an eventual markdown / sale.

- Walter.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
New Day & Date releases will be Blu only.

As a few others have stated, titles which took forever to reach dvd or older classics are still bought in SD when there's no accompanying blu-ray counterpart. I believe it'll be some time before we see the Thin Man Collection or Astaire/Ginger on Blu-ray despite being huge classic sellers in the SD realm. I believe that Blu will literally have to have nearly half of SD's market before we start seeing some of these classics.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Case in point: my wife and I were out shopping. We stopped in HMV and spotted the new SE of The Nightmare Before Christmas, right next to the BD. She said, "I bet you want to get that," to which I said, "I would, but I'd rather wait and get the BD once I have something that plays Blu-Rays."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks