Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Do you find yourself skipping SD titles and 'waiting' for Blu-Ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 10:18 AM

As a big horror fan, September and October have been the most exciting times when it comes to DVD releases.

As I look at this year's releases only a few really catch my eye. I'm very excited about MGM's Child's Play disc and their Pumpkinhead SE. Normally I'd plunk down the cash for these suckers in a heartbeat.

But now I'm just wondering how long until they hit Blu-Ray?

I'm at the point where I stop and consider buying SD titles because I'd really rather get the HD version. I realize that Fox/MGM has been particularly shoddy in porting extras over the Blu-Ray so far, but that's another problem altogether.

Concerning the aforementioned titles, though, I really think I'm going to hold off.

Anyone else been procrastinating over SD purchases of late?
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#2 of 51 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted August 26 2008 - 10:35 AM

Yep. How the West was Won and various other titles have me holding off until I'm ready to buy a Blu-Ray player.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 51 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 10:43 AM

I dunno' ... I just can't stop purchasing DVDs Posted Image

I *still* don't own a Blu-ray player, but have purchased both the DVD and the Blu-ray of a few titles. ("Enchanted" comes to mind.) I figure I can still use the DVD of the title on secondary displays, laptops, and portable DVD players.

One of these days I'll find a profile 2.0 BD deck at a decent price (with good DVD upconversion) and then I'll *finally* be able to view the 5 or so BDs that I've purchased since HD-DVD folded.
Joseph
---------------

#4 of 51 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 12:28 PM

Yes and no.

I've had no problem passing on newer stuff that has (had) a pretty good chance of coming to Blu-ray. It worked with The Mist Posted Image , though I'm still waiting for Death Proof and Planet Terror. Posted Image

SD double dips I can also easily pass up.

More obscure stuff like the Columbia Hammer sets, Budd Boetticher set, etc, that I've been waiting years to come to DVD? No way.
Death before Streaming!

#5 of 51 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 01:09 PM

Yes. Luckily, most new titles I want are being released on BD, although sometimes later than street date, or not until the other format died (i.e. Transformers, There Will Be Blood, etc.).

If something comes out that is not yet on the BD slate, I may rent it, but I'm pretty much done buying DVDs unless it's completely clear that it will never come out on BD. Luckily, I've bought nearly everything I want on DVD so I'm not tempted to buy new ones.

#6 of 51 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,336 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 26 2008 - 02:03 PM

I still buy alot of TV on DVD since the overwhelming majority of those title won't be out for years (if ever).

If a movie is new to DVD, I'll buy it because if it took 11 years to hit DVD, I don't see it coming to Blu-ray too soon either.

And it has to be an extremely nice special edition to get me to rebuy a movie on DVD though.

#7 of 51 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 02:34 PM

Most definitely! I skip all SD movie titles as I see them a lot of them coming out in the near future. Even Criterion titles are on the way to Blu-ray so I don't see the reason to buy them. For TV titles, I classify them into two groups: The newer titles which will benefit the most from Blu-ray and the older ones from the 50's to the 90's which all look better on SD than they did when they originally aired.....of course there will probably be exceptions: For instance, if X-files goes HD, I may have to double-dip. Posted Image
Recently watched- Friday The 13th(2009), The Sessions, Freddy vs. Jason, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, Jason X, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, Friday The 13th Pt VIII:Jason Takes Manhattan, Godzilla Vs. Biollante, Ninja II:Shadow Of A Tear, Friday The 13th Pt VII:The New Blood, Non-Stop(2014), Friday The 13th Pt VI:Jason Lives, Batman: Mystery Of The Batwoman, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker, Gettysburg(1993)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3

"The mill's closed.  There's no more work.  We're destitute...I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for scientific experiments."

#8 of 51 Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 02:47 PM

I have not the slightest urge to buy SD movies anymore. I held off on titles like Pan's Labyrinth until it hit BR, and that was unquestionably the right choice.

The last one that tempted me was the Robocop special edition DVD. But I held off on that (and I held off on that movie-only cash-in Robocop BR that Fox released. I'm waiting for the full port).

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#9 of 51 David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 03:05 PM

I'm just about done with SD altogether, with a couple of exceptions - those rarities and a few TV series that we may never get on BD, and if we do, I love em so much I will double dip.

For example The Three Stooges Collection which is great by the way. Vol. 3 in SD is out today. A few more seasons of Cheers & a few other TV series. Get em while we can.

But for the most part, I'm not even looking through the SD sections much anymore especially new movies.

#10 of 51 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 03:07 PM

I'm no longer buying DVDs - in fact I've been selling many off the last year. Other than some TV shows, I plan on replacing what I have left once they reach BD one day. I would certainly have no problems renting a DVD, but every purchase other than a TV show is BD.

#11 of 51 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 26 2008 - 03:21 PM

Ditto what TravisR said. TV series are so slow to come out on BluRay that I will sometimes get the DVD for a tv series. But films, I am done with dvd.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#12 of 51 AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 04:56 AM

Renting NO, but purchasing YES, with some exceptions like box sets of a particular actor or actress or westerns box sets and finally some TV box sets
Al Kuenster

#13 of 51 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 08:25 AM

I don't have a Blu player yet, but I have certainly cut back DVD purchases to a very select few. There still aren't enough BD titles for me to warrant diving in yet, but I suspect that by Xmas player pricing may be low enough to test the waters.

#14 of 51 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 08:41 AM

In some categories. Major studio productions do not get purchased on DVD any more, even if there's not a concurrent Blu-ray announced. Foreign films still get picked up on DVD, although I'm starting to resist there - I really want the Weinsteins to start releasing their Dragon Dynasty stuff in HD, for instance.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#15 of 51 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 09:53 AM

since just B4 "Sky Captain &TWoT" was released on SD DVD.
So, Feb. '05 at least.
I thought Gwyneth Paltrow's hair was the star of the show & couldn't wait too see it in HD at home!
I would buy something from the 5 buck bin or something under 10 bucks a disc; that I thought I wouldn't "need" (or wouldn't want to wait for) the HD version (that didn't always work out! :-0 ).

There have been a few threads like this B4, BTW.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 51 Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,441 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted August 27 2008 - 11:09 AM

Absolutely. The Mist is a good, recent example.

However, I will not buy Blus and hang on to SE DVDs if the studio is short-sighted and drops supplements (i.e. Carrie, Amityville Horror).

Thanks goodness Poltergeist wound up at Warner...

#17 of 51 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 12:31 PM

I stopped buying DVDs for the most part a year or so before starting into Blu-Ray. I knew then what is occurring now... I have such a preference for watching on Blu-Ray that most of my DVDs go totally unwatched.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#18 of 51 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 01:20 PM

I can't watch SD-DVD anymore, too painful.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#19 of 51 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,556 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 01:48 PM

It depends upon the category of release for me.

For new film titles ( just leaving theatrical presentation ) I will skip around 90 percent of SD DVD only releases. If I really want to see the film then I'll make an exception (last one that I can recall was In Bruges which I enjoyed tremendously.)

For catalog titles I'm getting too old to wait for the next generation. Posted Image After having waited a decade for a film like Road House I'm not going to keep waiting. Film noir and a lot of other classic cinema are must haves regardless of the format.

For television, if a series has been receiving HD releases then I'll wait for the Blu-ray release in most cases. (Speaking of which, I sure wish that Universal would get on the ball with Battlestar Galactica after teasing us with Season 1 on HD-DVD.) I still purchase a lot of SD television because the media (especially when on sale) represents a great entertainment per dollar ratio. Some Blu-ray television releases I will skip based on price. For instance, a half season of Prison Break: S3 was over-priced IMHO and I'll wait for (hopefully) an eventual markdown / sale.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#20 of 51 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:02 PM

New Day & Date releases will be Blu only.

As a few others have stated, titles which took forever to reach dvd or older classics are still bought in SD when there's no accompanying blu-ray counterpart. I believe it'll be some time before we see the Thin Man Collection or Astaire/Ginger on Blu-ray despite being huge classic sellers in the SD realm. I believe that Blu will literally have to have nearly half of SD's market before we start seeing some of these classics.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users