What's new

American Idol - Season 8 (3 Viewers)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just saw this:

'Idol' adding fourth judge - CNN.com

Idol is adding a fourth judge-- Kara DioGuardi. I hadn't heard of her before, but according to the article her songs "have been recorded by Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and Pink, among others."

I think this may be only the first of some interesting changes that may be in store for Season 8. I think they're looking to keep things fresh. I think adding a fourth judge could do that. Adding a fourth judge is a much better solution than replacing one of the current three. As much ambivalence as I have towards Randy and Paula, it may have been too much of a change to actually replace one of them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And, of course, Nigel Lythgoe is leaving. I think they've vowed to cut down on the wacky audition episodes. They need a balance, as this season's Nashville Star covering the auditions in brief before launching right into the competition wasn't a great solution either. I like seeing Hollywood Week and getting to know these people a little beforehand.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I thought I had heard that too. I'm definately OK with that. In the first couple seasons, the audition shows were great with all the wacky try-outs. But as the seasons went on, it became painfully obvious that people were "trying to be bad". And that's just not funny.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah. I think they ought to have a week or maybe two of auditions, but if anyone is obviously trying to make an ass out of themselves, leave them on the cutting room floor. I was actually angry last season, having to see that idiot who dressed up like Slave Leia. No way should that have made it to air.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And I liked that guy who sang the "brothers forever" song. Bringing him back with the USC band was one of the few highlights of this season's finale.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nice kneejerk, but it doesn't seem to have much to do with the discussion Bryan and I were having. The *producers* have said the auditions episodes will be scaled back. I said they probably should be scaled back a little since people do complain, but they should not be eliminated as Nashville Star basically did. And, Bryan and I both agreed that the auditions can be fun if they don't give the limelight to jerks who will do anything to get on the air.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
It should be fairly obvious- people complain about the audition episodes, so I pointed out that they don't have to watch them.

Is that so hard to understand?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It is more about the content of the audition episodes, many are tired of the "contestants" just trying to get air time by being a joke of a contestant, but audition episodes featuring viable and interesting contestants are fine. People are tired of sifting through the auditions to get a few worthy audition nuggets. People want a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Each season has a finite number of episodes. People that prefer other aspects of the show to the audition episodes, would probably rather see the auditions scaled back. It's not that anyone forced them to watch the auditions, it's that the amount of time dedicated to those episodes reduced the time available for the non-audition part of the season.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They don't need to ADD a fourth judge; they just need to replace Randy and Paula. They're tired and add nothing to the show at this point.

You can put a new hat on crap, but it's still just crap with a hat.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Basically they should just separate the auditions to please everybody. On Tuesday night they have the good auditions and on Wednesday night they have the bad auditions.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I wouldn't miss Paula. I don't know about adding a fourth opinion. Maybe it'll be okay, but it seems like a show is on the way out when they start doing stuff like this.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

You could be right. But I guess I'd rather them try to shake things up a bit in a effort to revitalize the show than the let it die a stagnant death.

At least they haven't completely run the show into the ground like Survivor by airing two seasons every year.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Looks like a lot of changes are on the way:
  • "American Idol 8" will have 36 instead of 24 contestants
  • the audition episodes will be reduced while the pre-semifinal Hollywood round episodes will be increased
  • the wild card round will return, giving eliminated contestants the chance to compete for one of the top 12 finalist spots
  • the show's focus on "bad singers" will be minimized
  • “Idol Gives Back,” the show's charity telethon, will not air this year

Report: ?Idol? to make changes in 2009 - American Idol- msnbc.com

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I know some will be disappointed, but I couldn't be happier about that item. While there's some minor value in showing people who are delusional about their singing ability (hopefully to keep them from trying out and/or thinking they can be singers), I watch the show for good performances, not bad ones.

Unfortunately, there's no change in the other thing I didn't like about last season -- themes before moving to the big stage. My favorite part of the show during seasons 4-6 were when the selected contestants got to sing their favorites on the intimate stage. The sound was great, and there's nothing like hearing good singers sing a favorite song/rendition picked from any song Idol has the rights to. I can see the value in exploring the versatility of the singers by pushing them out of their genres, but the goosebump moments for me come when watching, say, Daughtry singing Rock (not Stevie Wonder), or Melinda Doolittle doing R&B (not Queen songs). All I ask is for a few weeks of that, like they did in S4-S6.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Add me to the list of people who are happy to have less of the auditions.

Most of the bad ones are people who are willing to do anything to get on camera, and the producers let them. This just gives fewer good singers a chance. Plus, it is never good to reward bad behavior.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I admit, I liked the fake auditions, and I generally stop watching the show after the audition episodes. I don't watch the rest of the series, but I enjoy those. So, kind of news I didn't want, but I appreciate those who watch the whole series do.

What incredibly bad timing from a social viewpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks