Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Voices too quiet

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Cribs

Cribs

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hello,

I am using my PS3 as my blu-ray movie player, plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver via an optical cable. I am having issues with my sound. All the speakers are working fine, however volumes are a bit messed up. It seems that background noises are much louder than voices. I have tried turning up the decibels on the center speaker, but then it seems as if phasing is incorrect. I cannot seem to get the settings just right and I have been playing around with it for a few weeks now.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Chris H

#2 of 11 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hi Chris, what model speakers do you own? Have you calibrated your AVR with the calibration Microphone?

#3 of 11 Cribs

Cribs

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 09:15 AM

Yes, i have calibrated them. My speakers are all Goldwood speakers.

#4 of 11 Jim Kingwood

Jim Kingwood

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 10:31 AM

I have the same issue, sound effects/music passages very loud, voices too soft. Could it be an issue with the center channel? I have a set of Athena surround sound speakers.

#5 of 11 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,050 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted August 24 2008 - 02:19 AM

How did you calibrate? When using my auto calibration, I attach the mic to a tripod in my favorite seat making sure the mic is ear level. Same when I calibrate manually using my Radio Shack SPL meter.

-Robert

#6 of 11 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribs
I am using my PS3 as my blu-ray movie player, plugged into my Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver via an optical cable.
May I ask why you are using an optical cable, instead of an HDMI cable? The Onkyo TX-SR606 is a new receiver that decodes the new HD audio formats found on Blu ray movies. There should be no reason for using an optical cable, unless you prefer the sound of compressed DD and DTS, over the uncompressed sound of Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD MA. I'm just curious.........

As far as center channel, I agree that it sounds like the speakers need calibrating. Once calibrated, most people still turn the volume of the center channel up a little, for this very reason.
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#7 of 11 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,160 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted August 24 2008 - 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribs
I am using my PS3 as my blu-ray movie player

Is the BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control on the PS3 set to on, off, or automatic?

You can adjust this either under BD/DVD settings, or while a movie is playing under Options (triangle) and A/V settings.

#8 of 11 chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 02:18 AM

Even after getting the speakers properly calibrated, many people complain that the voices are too quiet. The problem is in the mix....movies are made with the music and effects terribly loud, and much of the dialog is muffled or whispered. It's just the modern style, I guess. As others have suggested, calibrate, then increase the level on the center channel.
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#9 of 11 Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted August 25 2008 - 12:56 PM

It's not really a style per se. It's just an attempt at realism. In the real world, explosions and other similar sounds are much louder than the volume of a normal speaking voice. Now, overly loud background music... that's a stylistic decision, and sometimes a very annoying one.

#10 of 11 Chididdy123

Chididdy123

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 31 2008 - 09:23 AM

hi im new but i havent experienced anything like that. i have a ps3 and an onkyo reciever, but if i would just turn the db higher on the center if i had a problem with voices

#11 of 11 vincolo1

vincolo1

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 07 2008 - 08:02 AM

Onkyo 506 - same issue running Athena Ws-100 / ws-60. funny tho, if I swap out the WS-60 for my Athena C.5 center channel....wala, voices come out much better. WS-60 is working fine...but for some reason the dynamic response if better on the C.5. So yes, while calibration and adjustment is good, there is something to be said for center channel speaker dynamics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow