Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

RASHOMON gets 4k Lowry treatment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 03:59 AM

SciFi Japan » RASHOMON Restored!

Interesting news; I wonder if this restoration will make it to Criterion's Blu-Ray slate?

#2 of 8 Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 04:38 AM

Fantastic news! The Criterion DVD was decent but I think could still be improved upon a lot in terms of contrast, detail and scratches. As the restoration seems to have been completed already, I really hope they'll release a Blu-ray edition soon.

I also notice that they're going to be showing a new print of Dersu Uzala, another painful reminder of the fact that the quality of the best DVD release of this fantastic film could be described as abysmal.

#3 of 8 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,438 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 06:47 AM

This is good news. This is one of my favorite movies and I would love to see it look better.

#4 of 8 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ
This is good news. This is one of my favorite movies and I would love to see it look better.

Ditto that. The Criterion DVD isn't exactly reference quality (but certainly not bad), so hopefully this will lead to a new DVD (and Blu-ray) release.

#5 of 8 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 01:45 PM

Very cool indeed! Lets hope Criterion can reach an agreement to license the restoration. Their Kurosawa titles always sell well so I would imagine they would go for it.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 8 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted August 24 2008 - 03:31 AM

Sounds great. Criterion's dvd looks pretty good considering the shoddy treatment of Rashomon by 50's Japanese archivists but any new attempt would be most welcome.

#7 of 8 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 25 2008 - 07:25 AM

I'm yet to pick this up, so I'll keep waiting even though the latest Criterion offering is dirt cheap. Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#8 of 8 mike kaminski

mike kaminski

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted August 28 2008 - 03:20 AM

This is amazing news. I can't wait to see how this turns out.