Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Superman Rebooted

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

#401 of 413 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 02:37 AM

If they are going in a different direction, different trilogy of films, I'm leaning towards going away from Routh, but it's still going to be a challenge to find the right guy who not only looks like Superman and Clark Kent (and mannerisms), but also can truly act, without the director shooting around the actor's acting deficiencies, which I think Routh was coddled a bit, forcing Singer to shoot scenes in ways that didn't highlight Routh's acting shortcomings.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#402 of 413 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 15 2009 - 07:25 AM

If the goal is to make a clean break, they can't use Routh. The major part of the audience won't know that every thing else has changed. They'll just say, "It's the same guy as last time" and stay away if they didn't like Returns.

#403 of 413 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,032 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 15 2009 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
If the goal is to make a clean break, they can't use Routh. The major part of the audience won't know that every thing else has changed. They'll just say, "It's the same guy as last time" and stay away if they didn't like Returns.
I think it depends on the extent to which everything else has changed. If the cast around Routh is different, if the Superman costume is slightly different, if the photography is truly technicolor instead of that muted noir look, etc. etc. then I think people would be able to tell.

#404 of 413 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
I think it depends on the extent to which everything else has changed. If the cast around Routh is different, if the Superman costume is slightly different, if the photography is truly technicolor instead of that muted noir look, etc. etc. then I think people would be able to tell.

I disagree. Most people aren't like us who keep up with it. As soon as they see Routh they will think its the same. In the Batman: Dark Knight Bats has a new suit. But, we still know its a sequel.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#405 of 413 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 15 2009 - 05:19 PM

Maybe for the first film they won't let the audience know which character (in normal clothes) is Superman.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#406 of 413 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,032 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 15 2009 - 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
I disagree. Most people aren't like us who keep up with it. As soon as they see Routh they will think its the same. In the Batman: Dark Knight Bats has a new suit. But, we still know its a sequel.
Apples and oranges. All of the promotion for TDK was geared towards showcasing that it was the follow-up to the highly-regarded BB. The old suit was used in the trailers as much as the new one was. With the exception of Katie Holmes the entire supporting cast was carried over. Everything about TDK linked it to BB.

I doubt most people put that much thought into it, anyway. They see a trailer and say, "Hey, a new Superman movie!" and think it looks good or not by what they see. And a portion of those turned off by SR will avoid the next movie regardless of whether it's a reboot or not.

#407 of 413 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted February 16 2009 - 02:26 AM

I am not saying I want O'Hearn for Supes. But, I have to hand it to that Collora guy. For a 2 minute fake trailer he crammed a lot of scenes, props and cast into it. For example the scene at the cocktail party. You have dozens of people in formal attire with all of the other setups for what is maybe 15 seconds of actual footage. Besides, my son loves to watch it.

YouTube - World's Finest
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#408 of 413 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 16 2009 - 05:34 AM

Well, the American Gladiators are branching out, so maybe they'll pick him. Toa was in the Dollhouse premiere.

#409 of 413 TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 06:12 PM

Rumor Killer: The Wachowski Brothers NOT Offered Superman Reboot | /Film

Rumor Killer: The Wachowski Brothers NOT Offered Superman Reboot
Posted on Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 at 5:49 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Remember that report that showed up on AICN last week claiming that The Wachowski Brothers had been offered a reboot of Superman? Sorry to get you guys all excited but I have just gotten confirmation from two independent sources that the report was completely false. I don’t know if an interview with James McTeigue actually aired on RTL1 or not (I’m guessing not) but The Wachowski Brothers have definitely never had any talks with DC or Warner Bros to helm a Superman film. This is confirmed.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#410 of 413 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,730 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 12:03 AM

So how about letting Singer and Routh continue the series?

That's still the best idea I've heard.

#411 of 413 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,853 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 01:55 AM

Why not give Bruce Timm a go at the script and possibly directing? He is the one who created the Batman, Superman & Justice League animated series.

#412 of 413 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,730 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
Why not give Bruce Timm a go at the script and possibly directing? He is the one who created the Batman, Superman & Justice League animated series.

For that matter, bring Paul Dini in to write. He and Timm should have been given a crack at this more than 10 years ago.

#413 of 413 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 21 2009 - 09:35 AM

Superman Returns Sequel To Be Titled Superman Unleashed? | /Film
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow