What's new

PS3 "Greatest Hits" Series Launch (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FYI, Sony has started re-branding some PS3 games as "Greatest Hits" at a $30 price point. They have a similar red banner on the case to that of PS2 Greatest Hits. So far the titles are Motorstorm, Warhawk, and Resistance: Fall of Man. I haven't played Warhawk, but the other two are good games.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw Assassins Creed as a Greatest Hits title in Walmart this morning.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Neat game, although some parts of it can get mildly tedious.

On a related note, while I don't think it's technically a Greatest Hits title, Burnout: Paradise has been reduced to $30 as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also interesting about Burnout is that it will soon be available for download from the PSN Store for $30.

From the Greatest Hits lineup, I've gotten Assassin's Creed and Resistance. Played through Resistance, was pretty good. AC was really cool but the gimmick of free-running kind of wore off after going through 4 of the 9 missions because the game is, literally, doing the same thing 9 times in a row. The additional story stuff was pretty uninteresting.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I also started this some time ago, but I was kinda disappointed and probably move on to some other game. It wasn´t the "medieval stealth"-game that I thought it was.

Resistance was very good, considering that it was a "launch title". "Resistance 2" will arrive quite soon and it´ll kick some serious as*. ;) Of course there´s also "Gear Of War 2" for Xbox 360.

"Warhawk" is my favourite online-game so far. I would say, that it´s a great start for the "newcomers" (which I kinda was in online-gaming with PS3). Of course, if you want more "realism" etc, then "CoD4". But like I said, I haven´t played that much online.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure I get the concept of paying the same amount to download a game to take up space on my hard drive as it would cost to buy a disc with a box and a manual (aside from the rather rare case where one lives very far from any store that might carry it and doesn't want to wait for a mail order).

BTW, today is PS3 day (finally!) in the Amazon Gold Box. I posted about it in the Bargains folder.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, this looks to be the official list:
  • Resistance
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Motorstorm
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (about 7,000 hours of gameplay in this one)
  • Fight Night Round 3
  • Warhawk (without headset)
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma
  • Rainbow Six Vegas
  • Need For Speed: Carbon
  • Call of Duty 3
Amazon is selling Genji: Days of the Blade for $20, but I don't think it's officially in the GH line. IMO it's a pretty good game once you get used to the close-up camera (tip: learn to keep an eye on the radar in the corner).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the idea of putting a game on the PSN (at a reduced price from it' original price, but equal to it's current price) is to see how people respond. Warhawk was made available on the PSN and sold well, the new Ratchet & Clank sort-of-game is on there, and Siren: BC is on there. Sony wants to move towards full-length games being available online for download, which could be good or bad. It's good because there's no way that you can't have access to it (if it sells out, goes OOP, etc. but network issues could remain) and it could cut down on costs (not making the discs/manuals/etc.) or make little games more available (smaller devs don't need a publisher to put the game online).

Then again, if you can readily pick up a disc in the store, it's not a big deal. Unless you're afraid of the disc getting scratched.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

...or your hard drive crashes. ;)

Well, more seriously speaking, I always prefer to buy the actual game disc (with booklet, case, cover art) vs downloading it from e.g. PS network.

These new games takes plenty of space (from the hard drive) and usually cost the same (at least roughly) as the actual game disc.

So I have the actual game disc of "Warhawk" and "GT5 Prologue", and I´m waiting for one of "Siren: Blood Curse" (disc version will be released in at least Europe in the Autumn). Same thing with the "Ratchet & Clank"-sequel "Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty". And I guess I have this "collector"-side of me. I can easily buy some older games, even when I don´t play them *that* actively.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If the HDD crashes, you can re-download the game later. I think you can authorize up to 5 PS3s for downloaded games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks