-

Photo
- - - - -

Music CD is playing too fast? PIII

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 02:50 AM

I refurb PC's to donate to Foster Children and this last PC I have gone through is a a PIII 800mhz Compaq Desktop. Right off the bat I found the Power supply to be bad so I replaced that with one I had sitting around. Everything else in the reinstall and all software went on with ease. All drivers where installed fine with no yellow question marks in the Device page. So my final test is always to make sure I have sound coming from the Green mini jack and in this case I do but when playing a music CD it plays it fast. Kind of sounds like your listing to the chipmunks playing Aerosmith songs (my lest disc is Aerosmith greatest hits) but it does the same on any disc i put in.
So I replaced the CD drive with a Burner and still I get the same music speed. I even ripped the disc and it even plays back the ripped at the same fast speed. I'm not sure where to go now!
It has it's built in sound so there is no card.
Any Ideas what it could be?
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#2 of 5 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 10:36 AM

That's interesting. Was the ripped file ripped on that computer? How about a file ripped from another computer? How about audio from YouTube or somewhere?

#3 of 5 Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 11:14 AM

I just put a ripped song from another pc on a memory usb card and played it right off the card and it even played fast from it! Hmmmmm, not sure what that's telling me!

I also just tried a different power supply and still no luck!
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#4 of 5 Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 04:20 PM

Well I just installed a PCI audio card I had from a parts PC and now it works perfect. I tried half a dozen audio drivers I found on the net for that PC but none worked so I went a different route.
I now have refurbished 6 PC's this week, a few 800 and a few 1.6mhz that had been donated to me for the kids! This last one kicked my but and took up quite a bit of today! Posted Image
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#5 of 5 Rolland

Rolland

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 03 2008 - 09:14 AM

This just happened to me in a very similar situation. I volunteer for a organization the rehabs computers and we just got a bunch of apparently identical Micron PIIIs with DVD drives. Sound card is on the motherboard. As is typical, I downloaded all the current Micron drivers needed from the Micron site and set up the first PC. Worked fine. I then clone the drive to set up the remaining PC's. When I got to the third PC I experienced the fast playback of a music CD. Had never seen this before. Tried swapping a DVD drive but no success. However my solution was to go to the Windows Update site and run the Custom Update option. They had an updated audio driver. I installed it and the problem went away.