Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any profound regrets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#81 of 85 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 11:17 AM

If I had stuck with my computer science degree instead of getting frustrated by the math, I would have emerged into the late 80s with a much more useful skill set. Also, I wouldn't have met a girl I used to regret NOT pursuing more persistently.

If only I had seen the internet coming.

Of course, if I had, today I could be a failed dot-com entrepreneur living with parents and wondering why I didn't get a degree in the humanities.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#82 of 85 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McElligott
Of course, if I had, today I could be a failed dot-com entrepreneur living with parents and wondering why I didn't get a degree in the humanities.

Posted Image Posted Image

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#83 of 85 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,734 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 09 2008 - 12:31 PM

To me, the interesting part of this topic has to do with what people consider to be a "profound" regret as opposed to a regular(?) regret and the different ways that we deal with them. At least with respect to personal and life altering decisions. But I would like to think that any member here who seriously injured any person, intentionally or otherwise, would certainly and profoundly regret it. I know I would.

Quote:
This is one way I look at it. When making the decision, you can't predict the future, and after making it, you can't change the past. All you can do is the best you can. Then again, maybe I'm in denial Posted Image .
Quote:
If only I had seen the internet coming.
How about that guy in Pacific Grove Ca. (a cute little place, btw) circa 1980 who wasn't home when the suits from IBM came knocking looking for an operating system. So off to Seattle they went. Talk about a profound regret. I've always wondered where he was.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#84 of 85 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 09 2008 - 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
How about that guy in Pacific Grove Ca. (a cute little place, btw) circa 1980 who wasn't home when the suits from IBM came knocking looking for an operating system. So off to Seattle they went. Talk about a profound regret. I've always wondered where he was.
Hookers. And trust him, the sex was worth it.

Posted Image

#85 of 85 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted September 09 2008 - 08:45 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered where he was.
It was the president of the little company that brought out "Dr. Dos" (I'm not sure if that was the actual name then). He went golfing. He believed that would make him look more interesting. The second-in-command was there, but as it turned out, the IBM delegation was not amused.

Mrs. Gates, mother of a guy who had started another, even smaller, software company, heard this story the same evening during a bridge game. She suggested contacting her son. The man in charge of the project at IBM, still boiling, liked the idea.

Cees

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow