Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

USHE Press Release: Brotherhood of the Wolf - Director's Cut


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

    Studio Mogul



  • 40,284 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 03 1997

Posted August 18 2008 - 09:06 PM

THE ACTION-PACKED SENSATION
BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF – DIRECTOR’S CUT

AUGUST 26, 2008
THE 2-DISC SET ARRIVES ON DVD
FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

OVERVIEW: Brotherhood of the Wolf, is now available as an all-new Two-Disc Director’s Cut. Now, experience more of the breathtaking action and incredible suspense in an extended version of the film featuring high-flying martial arts excitement. Loaded with four hours of bonus features including an in-depth documentary, deleted scenes and storyboards, Brotherhood of the Wolf 2-Disc Director’s Cut is a dangerous, thrilling mystery of chilling proportions!

PRELIMINARY BONUS FEATURES:

•DELETED SCENES: Watch over 40 minutes of additional footage from the film.
•MAKING OF BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF: THE GUTS OF THE BEAST: Explore the creation of the movie from its unlikely genesis to the breathtaking fight scenes and daring digital effects.
•DOCUMENTARY: Go on-location with the cast and crew as they deal with everything from fight
choreography to costume decisions and weather challenges.
•THE LEGEND: Uncover the chilling historical facts behind the legend of the vicious Gévaudan Beast.
•STORYBOARDS: See extensive storyboard galleries from some of the film’s most memorable scenes.
•THEATRICAL TRAILER: Watch the theatrical trailer from the film.

SYNOPSIS: When a mysterious beast ravages the countryside, two unlikely heroes are called in to fight the evil. And now, their battle against dark, unspeakable terror is even more gripping with a daring extended version of the film that showcases more of the breathtaking martial arts action!

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

Street date: August 26, 2008 Selection number: 61104683 Price: SRP $19.98 Running Time: 2 Hours 31 Minutes Layers: Dual Layer Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 Rating: Not Rated Languages/Subtitles: English, French, English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1

CAST AND FILMAKERS:

Cast: Samuel Le Bihan, Vincent Cassel, Emilie Dequenne, Monica Bellucci, and Jeremie Renier Director: Christophe Gans Screenwriters: Stephane Cabel and Christophe Gans Produced By: Emmanuel Gateau, Richard Grandpierre, and Samuel Hadida Production Designer: Guy-Claude Francois
Edited by: Xavier Loutreuil, Sebastien Prangere, and David Wu Costume Designer: Dominique Borg

 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

 

 Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

 Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

 Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations


#2 of 15 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

    Producer



  • 3,017 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 02 1999

Posted August 18 2008 - 11:17 PM

I own the theatre version of this movie. is it worth the upgrade to the directors cut?

Jacob

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter in HK

Peter in HK

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2007

Posted August 19 2008 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
I own the theatre version of this movie. is it worth the upgrade to the directors cut?

Jacob


If you don't have the Canada 3-disc DVD, you can buy this Universal's 2-disc director's cut DVD.

This DVD has many extras.... and it is low price. (And the director's cut is more watchable than the theatrical release version)

Anyway, it is good to see that this movie gets 2-disc special edition DVD treatment from Universal.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter in HK

Peter in HK

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2007

Posted August 19 2008 - 02:47 AM

By the way, I had already made a thread about this DVD on 06-02-2008 at 10:28 PM.
http://www.hometheat....26-2008-a.html

Maybe admins can combine my older thread and this new thread.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted August 19 2008 - 01:20 PM

I'd buy this only if it has better image quality over the 3-Disc Collector's Edition from Canada.
Here's a link for the specs for the above edition (which I own).
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Brotherhood of the Wolf AKA Le Pacte des Loups (2001)

Nice try Universal.Posted Image

For 1080p, I'd recommend buying the UK Optimum HDDVD release from SendIt.com. It's actually the 150m International cut.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

    Studio Mogul



  • 40,284 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 03 1997

Posted August 19 2008 - 09:05 PM

First it was The Big Lebowski and now Brotherhood of the
Wolf
.

Why is Universal announcing these grand reissues for sDVD and
ignoring a BD release? I thought BOTW would finally be
getting a U.S. domestic release.

 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

 

 Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

 Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

 Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations


#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted August 19 2008 - 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
First it was The Big Lebowski and now Brotherhood of the
Wolf
.

Why is Universal announcing these grand reissues for sDVD and
ignoring a BD release? I thought BOTW would finally be
getting a U.S. domestic release.
I'd trust TVA Films to put out a far superior Blu-ray release of BotW compared to Universal by the way. Their 3-Disc Collector's Edition is practically a Criterion (excluding some slight EE and including a great booklet which I've read) compared to Universal's 2-Disc. Granted as both French commentaries don't have English subtitles.
And Ron, TVA Films has a far superior edition they already released (which again I'll mention I own) compared to the one being released by Universal. Universal should've released their DVD version far earlier.
I just guess some people only buy DVD's made in the U.S., never import from other countries and don't have a multi-region player.Posted Image
I'll only buy this, as I've already stated, if it has a better image quality over the TVA. Of course it won't beat the TVA 3-Disc for the sound which is French DTS 5.1 baby.Posted Image
I should rewatch it really soon and the TVA Films 3-Disc is literally one of my most prized possessions in my collection. (Too bad it comes in a FAT Triple Alphapak. I converted/moved it to one of those Amaray width triple disc cases.)
Thankfully it doesn't contain one of those idiotic "Digital Copies" studios are adding. What a waste of disc space.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter in HK

Peter in HK

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2007

Posted August 19 2008 - 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
First it was The Big Lebowski and now Brotherhood of the
Wolf
.

Why is Universal announcing these grand reissues for sDVD and
ignoring a BD release? I thought BOTW would finally be
getting a U.S. domestic release.

The new DVD of The Big Lebowski will be released later than the new DVD of Brotherhood of the Wolf.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter in HK

Peter in HK

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2007

Posted August 20 2008 - 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R
I'd trust TVA Films to put out a far superior Blu-ray release of BotW compared to Universal by the way. Their 3-Disc Collector's Edition is practically a Criterion (excluding some slight EE and including a great booklet which I've read) compared to Universal's 2-Disc. Granted as both French commentaries don't have English subtitles.
And Ron, TVA Films has a far superior edition they already released (which again I'll mention I own) compared to the one being released by Universal. Universal should've released their DVD version far earlier.
I just guess some people only buy DVD's made in the U.S., never import from other countries and don't have a multi-region player.Posted Image
I'll only buy this, as I've already stated, if it has a better image quality over the TVA. Of course it won't beat the TVA 3-Disc for the sound which is French DTS 5.1 baby.Posted Image
I should rewatch it really soon and the TVA Films 3-Disc is literally one of my most prized possessions in my collection. (Too bad it comes in a FAT Triple Alphapak. I converted/moved it to one of those Amaray width triple disc cases.)
Thankfully it doesn't contain one of those idiotic "Digital Copies" studios are adding. What a waste of disc space.

I had both TVA's DVD and Universal single-disc DVD. (But I gave my TVA's DVD to other people later). I actually thought that Universal single-disc DVD has slightly better image quality over the TVA 3-disc DVD. (Maybe it is because the TVA's DVD has two audio commentary tracks and a French DTS
5.1 track soundtrack)
I got the new Universal 2-disc DVD few days ago, and I compare it with the previous version (Universal single-disc DVD). I think that image quality of this Universal 2-disc DVD is as good as the previous version (Universal single-disc DVD).
So I can say that the Universal 2-disc DVD has slightly better image quality over the TVA 3-disc DVD.

As I remember, TVA 3-disc DVD and Universal single-disc DVD was released at the same day (10/1/2002). But you are right; many people still only buy DVD's that are released by the United States companies. It is the reason why Universal could still make a lot of money on the United States DVD/VHS release of Brotherhood of the Wolf.......
In 2003 Home Entertainment Awards (helded by Video Software Dealers Association), Brotherhood of the Wolf even defeated Amelie and won 'Foreign Language Title of the Year' award.

Anyway, it is nice to see that a foreign-language movie gets special edition DVD treatment from a major studio in the United States.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted August 20 2008 - 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter in HK
I had both TVA's DVD and Universal single-disc DVD. (But I gave my TVA's DVD to other people later). I actually thought that Universal single-disc DVD has slightly better image quality over the TVA 3-disc DVD. (Maybe it is because the TVA's DVD has two audio commentary tracks and a French DTS
5.1 track soundtrack)
I got the new Universal 2-disc DVD few days ago, and I compare it with the previous version (Universal single-disc DVD). I think that image quality of this Universal 2-disc DVD is as good as the previous version (Universal single-disc DVD).
So I can say that the Universal 2-disc DVD has slightly better image quality over the TVA 3-disc DVD.

As I remember, TVA 3-disc DVD and Universal single-disc DVD was released at the same day (10/1/2002). But you are right; many people still only buy DVD's that are released by the United States companies. It is the reason why Universal could still make a lot of money on the United States DVD/VHS release of Brotherhood of the Wolf.......
In 2003 Home Entertainment Awards (helded by Video Software Dealers Association), Brotherhood of the Wolf even defeated Amelie and won 'Foreign Language Title of the Year' award.

Anyway, it is nice to see that a foreign-language movie gets special edition DVD treatment from a major studio in the United States.
Agree with everything you typed. Figure I might as well buy this anyway for the better image transfer even though I caved in and am buying the UK HDDVD online.
One major positive is this doesn't have an idiotic "Digital Copy"... Posted Image

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

    Screenwriter



  • 1,700 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 23 2000

Posted August 24 2008 - 11:49 AM

>>I'd trust TVA Films to put out a far superior Blu-ray release
---
Huh? The word out from the north (and here) at the time was that it was a mediocre transfer, because they tried to cram too much onto the disc-
and that TVA was run buy a bunch of imbeciles...but that was then
I cant remember all the details-I had it though...and sold it

Disc 1
Movie-longer version
Commentary
English Dolby Digital
French Dolby Digital -and Im unclear:
English DTS
French DTS

my memory may be off, but
at any rate, (low) they put too much on the one disc and it showed.

The Universal transfer at the time was quiet good;
It should be fantastic now;

I will buy it-but, Though I thought the longer version began to kinda drag in the last 3rd of the film...it just seemed to go on and on.
But it is one of my favorites...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter in HK

Peter in HK

    Extra



  • 16 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 19 2007

Posted August 26 2008 - 04:47 AM

dvdempire.com has posted this "Brotherhood of the Wolf" 2-disc director's cut DVD's back cover, and Focus Features' logo is on the back cover.
DVD Empire - Item - Brotherhood Of The Wolf: Director's Cut / DVD-Video

It is very strange! I also got this DVD eariler, and my DVD doesn't have the Focus Features' logo on the back cover. (Maybe my DVD's back cover was a mistake?)
http://img227.imagev...._122_412lo.jpg

Furthermore, in my DVD, only Universal's logo appears at the beginning of the movie (no Focus Features's logo)

Today, this DVD is released in the stores in the United States....... Does anyone see Focus Features' logo on the back cover of this DVD? (In the DVD, does Focus Features' logo appear at the beginning of the movie?)

BTW, does anyone see this DVD in the big stores? (like Wal-Mart, Best Buy)

Thanks.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

    Screenwriter



  • 1,559 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 22 2004

Posted August 26 2008 - 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter in HK
dvdempire.com has posted this "Brotherhood of the Wolf" 2-disc director's cut DVD's back cover, and Focus Features' logo is on the back cover.
DVD Empire - Item - Brotherhood Of The Wolf: Director's Cut / DVD-Video

It is very strange! I also got this DVD eariler, and my DVD doesn't have the Focus Features' logo on the back cover. (Maybe my DVD's back cover was a mistake?)
http://img227.imagev...._122_412lo.jpg

Furthermore, in my DVD, only Universal's logo appears at the beginning of the movie (no Focus Features's logo)

Today, this DVD is released in the stores in the United States....... Does anyone see Focus Features' logo on the back cover of this DVD? (In the DVD, does Focus Features' logo appear at the beginning of the movie?)

BTW, does anyone see this DVD in the big stores? (like Wal-Mart, Best Buy)

Thanks.
I went to my local Circuit City and they didn't have any in stock. Major bummer. Guess I'll buy it online. (I don't mind owning three different copies of this though. This one, the 3-Disc Canadian and soon in the mail UK HDDVD.) Posted Image

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 93 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 08 2003

Posted August 26 2008 - 06:24 PM

There were some really long threads, here and at AVS about the quality of the various Botw transfers.

The conclusion I drew was that the Candian release was only okay, becuase they put too much stuff on the disc and the actually film was a little bit staved.

The UK release was a complete write-off, shorter version, DD2.0 soundtrack, etc.

I did toy with the idea of combining the subs from the Candian version with the DTS sound and picture of the French 3-disc edition.

But in the end, I passed on actually owning a copy of the film. I'm looking forward to a blu-ray release with english subs.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Hallowscorp

Hallowscorp

    Auditioning



  • 1 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 27 2008

Posted August 27 2008 - 06:08 AM

Some random thoughts on this:

I never picked up the single disc domestic Universal version.

I have the TVA 3 disc collector's edition and love it - DTS rocks!

Noticed that the new 2 disc "director's cut" lists a run time of 151 minutes, whereas the TVA version lists as 152 minutes. All other sources indicate an original french theatrical run time of 151.

I also saw no indication on the packaging for the new "director's cut" that it had been digitally re-mastered + the extras are virtually identical to those of TVA's 3-disc collector's set.

If anyone does a side by side comparison on these 2 editions, I would love to hear an opinion on which (if either) is superior to the other. Not sure if I want to double dip on this unless the new edition is significantly improved.

I actually like TVA, as I also have their collector's edition of Ginger Snaps. I will seek out canadian discs if they are better/more complete than what is being offered domestically.

Speaking of fun french films has anyone checked out the new special edition of Delicatessen? I'm thinking of trading up.


Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow