What's new

Jut got a Denon 2808CI and was wondering... (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
Hey all,

Well, it happen as it tends to -- I go out and help my friend get a really nice flat panel and I accidentally get a break on that new receiver that I just "had" to get.

Anyway, I picked up, er, lugged out, a Denon 2808CI yesterday and so far I gotta say, I haven't found the setup nearly as easy as I have read about. I am pretty technical, but the workflow of assigning a surround mode to the current channel is pretty wonky--when I press the Parameter button, it blacks out my screen, displays the menu and I have to go from there (I am all HDMI with one component signal). The Yamaha I had let me go through surround modes much more easily, but I guess this is because I am new.

(I am glad I am using a Harmony 880 because the Denon remote seems overly complicated. I mean, I get it, but my wife would freak if I gave that to her.)

I am very happy with how this unit performs, though. It sounds awesome -- I was really pushing things with my Yamaha, this unit just handles my speakers with a nice, even curve and I am really stoked on it.

I have a few questions I was hoping I could talk with you all about--I did a search within the board, but I am still coming up short.

1 - I did the Audyseey setup with 6 positions. Now, this may sound stupid, but bear with me: does the unit "automatically" use these settings or do you have to manually select "Audyssey" from the RoomEQ menu settings? The only reason I ask is because when I select "Audyssey" it sounds really bad. Like, way too quiet and lame. When I turn the Equalizer OFF, it sounds great. I am kinda down on the auto-setup, I think I will get my trust sound level meter and calibrate the system myself tonight or tomorrow anyway.

2 - While I was able to get the DTS-ES indicator light and jump through the AMFD hoop to get the Dolby Digital EX light to show up, when I played Bladerunner, Zodiac, 300 and Transformers from my Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player via HDMI, I could not, for the life of me figure out how to get the corresponding indicators to light up in the display. It sounded better, but all I got was "Multi-channel" input on the receiver display. This should be the easiest thing, right? I can't figure out what I am doing "wrong". I have the A3 configured for "Auto" in my HDMI output settings--that's really the only option available. I am not running a digital audio cable, because I was under the impression that next-gen formats require you go to through HDMI anyway.

I'll keep hunting the thread for answers and delete this post if these questions have been answered already.

thank you!
-mike

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I can't help you very much but I did read on another forum about the Denon only saying "multi-channel" when the newer formats were being decoded.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Correct, the A3 decodes all HD codecs internally and outputs Multi-Channel PCM. So that's all you'll ever see from HD-DVD.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
oh....that makes a lot of sense. So, it only lights up if the receiver is DOING the decoding (I guess from the multi-channel inputs), not when it's outputting the signal/getting it over HDMI from the player?

thank you--I really, really wish that was in the manual, this has been driving me kind of crazy.

right on, thank you.

-mike

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Did you set the hdmi settings to auto or to 1080p? I too am having trouble setting up this receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks