Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Casablanca Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 02:54 AM

“Yes, indeed, the Warners here have a picture which makes the spine tingle and the heart take a leap… the result is a highly entertaining and even inspiring film.”
- The New York Times, Bosley Crowther

CASABLANCA
ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
For the Ultimate Holiday Gift
On Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and DVD
December 2 from Warner Home Video

Burbank, Calif., August 18, 2008 – The legendary Casablanca -- which critic Leonard Maltin calls “the best Hollywood movie of all time,” starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman and winner of three Academy Awards® including Best Picture -- returns in a stunning new Ultimate Collector’s Edition (UCE) on December 2 from Warner Home Video, just in time for the holidays. Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition will also be available in Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for the first time ever.

Casablanca has remained a beloved favorite for almost seven decades, and was voted the screen’s greatest love story and the #3 film of all time by the American Film Institute (AFI). This classic wartime romance also took Oscars® for Michael Curtiz (Directing); Julius J. Epstein, Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch (Writing - Screenplay) and the studio (Outstanding Motion Picture).

The luxurious Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition looks like another beginning of a beautiful friendship. The premium giftset is elegantly boxed in an intricate laser-cut Moroccan design and will include such collectibles as replicas of actual props (Victor Laszlo’s “Letter of Transit”) as well as a number of Warner studio documents (an executive’s letter commanding a new PR image for Bogart from gangster to romantic lead; a note from producer Hal Wallis re-titling the film to Casablanca; and a memo from Wallis to Jack Warner strongly urging casting Bogart over George Raft). The DVD set will also contain a branded passport holder, luggage tag, photo book and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of the original movie poster. Additionally, with more than seven hours of bonus features (see below) along with a documentary on Jack Warner, no matter how often one has seen the unforgettable classic, there’s sure to be something to enrich the experience.

Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition will retail on DVD for $59.98 SRP, the Casablanca Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray™ Hi-Def for $64.99 SRP. The previously released Two-Disc Special Edition will also be available with new packaging and will sell for $26.99 SRP.

About the Film
Casablanca: easy to enter, but much harder to leave, especially if you're wanted by the Nazis. Such a man is Resistance leader Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid), whose only hope is Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), a cynical American who sticks his neck out for no one - especially Victor's wife Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman), the ex-lover who broke his heart. Ilsa offers herself in exchange for Laszlo's transport out of the country and bitter Rick must decide what counts more - personal happiness or countless lives hanging in the balance.

Blu-ray™ Hi-Def Enhanced Content (in standard definition)

Disc 1
Behind the Story
Introduction by Lauren Bacall
Commentary by film critic Roger Ebert
Commentary by film historian/author Rudy Behlmer
1988 TCM special: Bacall on Bogart [Laurel Bacall’s candid and moving reminiscences about her husband’s life and career]
You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca [Bacall hosts this spellbinding backstage tour]
As Time Goes By: The Children Remember [Stephen Bogart and Pia Lindstrom remember their parents, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman]
Production history gallery
Additional Footage
Deleted scenes
Outtakes
Who Holds Tomorrow? Premiere episode from the 1955 Warner Bros. Presents series, starring Charles McGraw
1995 WB Cartoon: Carrotblanca

Audio
Scoring Stage Sessions
Knock on Wood Alternate Version, Wilson with Piano
As Time Goes By Part One Alternate Take, Wilson with Piano
As Time Goes By Part One Film Version, Wilson with Piano
Rick Sees Ilsa Instrumental Medley
As Time Goes By Part Two Alternate Take, Wilson with Piano
As Time Goes By Part Two Film Version, Wilson with Piano
At La Belle Aurore Instrumental Medley
Dat’s What Noah Done Outtake, Wilson with Piano
April 26,1943 Screen Guild Players Radio Broadcast
Trailers
Theatrical trailer
1992 re-release trailer

Disc 2
1993 documentary: Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul

CASABLANCA ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Catalog # 1000039793
$59.98 SRP

CASABLANCA BLU-RAY™ HI-DEF ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION
$64.99 SRP

Subtitles: English, Français
Run Time: 102 minutes (Feature only)

CASABLANCA TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
$26.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted August 18 2008 - 08:20 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted August 19 2008 - 02:29 AM

Is it reasonable to assume that the picture quality on the Blu-ray disc will be every bit as good as on the HD-DVD that Robert Harris admired so much?

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted August 19 2008 - 02:45 AM

Is it me, or is $65 too much to spend on one movie on Blu-Ray? I expected a normal $20-$30 price, like with the HD-DVD. The elaborate packaging and such means nothing to me, and it doesn't seem a "movie-only" version is going to to be released on Blu-Ray. When titles like BLADE RUNNER come to DVD with 5 discs and cost $30, it becomes apparent when other titles are released with retail prices set too high.

This one is a pass for me. If there was a $29.99 or $34.99 2-disc Blu-Ray version without all the swag, I'd go for it.

#5 of 21 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,313 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 19 2008 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington
Is it me, or is $65 too much to spend on one movie on Blu-Ray?
No one is going to pay the MSRP.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 19 2008 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
No one is going to pay the MSRP.
...but it would be worth it since the movie is "Casablanca". Do not tell the folks at Warner marketing though. Posted Image

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 19 2008 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
Is it me, or is $65 too much to spend on one movie on Blu-Ray? I expected a normal $20-$30 price, like with the HD-DVD. The elaborate packaging and such means nothing to me, and it doesn't seem a "movie-only" version is going to to be released on Blu-Ray. When titles like BLADE RUNNER come to DVD with 5 discs and cost $30, it becomes apparent when other titles are released with retail prices set too high.

This one is a pass for me. If there was a $29.99 or $34.99 2-disc Blu-Ray version without all the swag, I'd go for it.
If you use the August 25% off code from Warner Home Video, you can order the BR release from their website for $37.43

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted August 20 2008 - 04:22 AM

Where can I get the code? Thanks.
My DVDs

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted August 20 2008 - 05:23 AM

Even saving 25% and getting the disc for $37 is FAR more than I payed for the HD-DVD (when I had it). Sure, there is a bonus documentary, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is overpriced in comparison to similar titles. Just my opinion - and I have space concerns and these large boxes take up too much shelf real estate space.

#10 of 21 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,313 posts

Posted August 20 2008 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
...I don't think I'm alone in thinking this is overpriced in comparison to similar titles.
Since there are no BR titles that come only in a box with prop replicas, there isn't anything to compare it to though. If you want the box and the stuff that comes in it, it's not a bad deal at around $40. I just want the discs so I'm waiting until they release the movie without the box, etc.

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_M
Where can I get the code? Thanks.
Code is AUBM8

Good until the end of August

I am surprised Warner is not giving a choice between the gift package and a standard package like they did last year with Forbidden Planet. Hope this is not a trend when the Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind come out in Blu-ray in 2009.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 21 2008 - 11:56 AM

Pricey, but at least it's worth it. The price would be somewhat "normal premium" level if you took out what the poster, passport cover, and luggage tag would cost separately. They do need to release a regular version, but I'll bite on the UCD BluRay regardless.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Travis87

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 02:04 PM

doesn't look like enough to interest me. the only thing moderately interesting is the '93 documentary but I'll just stick w/ the 2 disc collector's edition I already have.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 21 2008 - 09:42 PM

I bought it from WHV for $34.97 because I'm a sucker for these type of releases.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 21 ONLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 22 2008 - 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin9
Is it reasonable to assume that the picture quality on the Blu-ray disc will be every bit as good as on the HD-DVD that Robert Harris admired so much?

As its Warner, its pretty reasonable to assume it will be identical.

#16 of 21 ONLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 22 2008 - 01:24 AM

Quote:
Since there are no BR titles that come only in a box with prop replicas, there isn't anything to compare it to though. If you want the box and the stuff that comes in it, it's not a bad deal at around $40. I just want the discs so I'm waiting until they release the movie without the box, etc.

They're not even prop replicas though - a passport holder and a luggage tag with "Casablanca" written on are nothing more than useless tchotchkes are far as I'm concerned. Collectors are not actually going to USE these items - they'll just sit in the box.

FWIW I didn't understand who the hell would want a Tony Montana "Scarface" money clip either! Posted Image

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted August 22 2008 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
As its Warner, its pretty reasonable to assume it will be identical.
Thank you.

I think I'll buy the Blu-ray disc. I've already got the excellent SD package but Casablanca is a very special movie and Robert Harris's comments about the HD quality really made me enthusiastic.

#18 of 21 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,313 posts

Posted August 22 2008 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
They're not even prop replicas though - a passport holder and a luggage tag with "Casablanca" written on are nothing more than useless tchotchkes are far as I'm concerned.
There was some controversy when I used the word 'junk' to describe them in the HD thread so I thought 'prop replica' was nicer. Posted Image

#19 of 21 ONLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted August 23 2008 - 10:23 AM

Quote:
There was some controversy when I used the word 'junk' to describe them in the HD thread so I thought 'prop replica' was nicer. Posted Image

LOL! Posted Image

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted August 27 2008 - 03:15 AM

Warner will release a Blu-ray "2 Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition" and a single Blu-ray disc of "Casablanca" here in Germany one month prior to the US disc on 11/07/2008.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow