What's new

Which version of SUSPIRIA? (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
Ok I did a search but couldn't find an answer. Too many threads to search through.

Anyway, could someone tell me which studio offers the definitive SUSPIRIA. I see there is the older Anchor Bay (but highly regarded) and now there is Blue Underground.

BestBuy had the BU version for $16

many thanks

OOPS... I just realized I placed this thread in the wrong section...my bad.... Mods could you redirect this to SD DVD- film and documentary?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen it but I'm pretty sure that Blue Underground's release is basically Anchor Bay's special edition in a new package.

Also, I believe that that there was some missing or altered audio on the release. I'm not familiar enough with the movie to notice it so I'm not sure where the problem was.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
There´s only one "version" of this film.

The old Laserdisc (Image) included what many people believe is the closest to the "original sound mix" (in PCM 2.0 stereo). People also say, that the original audio mix is 4.0. It seems, that the 5.1 remix (at least from " Anchor Bay") is not that great at all...

I have the PCM-mix on DVD-R, but I haven´t listened it for a quite long time..

Since there are various DVD-versions, the look of these transfers can differ.. One good image/audio-comparison (DVDs):
Whiggles.com version 9

Other one (from the same author):
DVD Times - Suspiria: Definitive Edition

I guess they should create a new (re)mix for the BD. We can hope, of course...

Dan M

Second Unit
great info guys, thanks....

when I said "version" I meant which release..

The audio on this film is indeed something to consider. The spooky Goblin score is every bit as important as the visuals when it comes to creating the eerie, stylized mood that Argento obviously wanted...

I recently rented this from Netflix and it was an abomination. It was obviously VHS recorded onto a dvd. I guess the only way to see this properly is to buy it.

Hope it comes to blu soon

troy evans

Screenwriter
I own the BU "Suspiria" and it is very nice. I used to own the 3 disc AB version and think the quality of the two releases are comparable in regards to PQ. If you go down this road, know that you'll need to see "Inferno" and the upcoming "Mother of Tears" which completes the trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks