Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

It's a mad mad mad mad world

Robert Harris

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#121 of 134 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 08 2013 - 03:28 AM

I've been a big fan of this movie since first seeing it in a neighborhood theater as a boy when the movie finally came to the Bronx in 1965. (And I'm quite sure I saw the shortened version back then.) I've been following the whole "restoration" commotion about it since the 1980s, but I have yet to see a list of significant missing scenes. When a "restored" version came out on VHS sometime in the 1990s, I believe, all it had were trims added to various scenes, some of them even duplicating each other, IIRC. No major "lost" sequences. The one noticeable exchange of dialogue I remember that was new to me was Jonathan Winters' reminiscence about a lady in his hometown (a teacher?) who helped him as a child and how he wanted to use the money to do something for her. I'm not sure now whether this was in the VHS or the more recently purchased Blu-ray, but it wasn't anything I felt was crucial to the film. Has anyone anywhere compiled a list of missing scenes from the Roadshow version? Was there more with the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton? Thanks.

#122 of 134 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,302 posts

Posted February 17 2013 - 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Vic Pardo 

I've been a big fan of this movie since first seeing it in a neighborhood theater as a boy when the movie finally came to the Bronx in 1965. (And I'm quite sure I saw the shortened version back then.) I've been following the whole "restoration" commotion about it since the 1980s, but I have yet to see a list of significant missing scenes. When a "restored" version came out on VHS sometime in the 1990s, I believe, all it had were trims added to various scenes, some of them even duplicating each other, IIRC. No major "lost" sequences. The one noticeable exchange of dialogue I remember that was new to me was Jonathan Winters' reminiscence about a lady in his hometown (a teacher?) who helped him as a child and how he wanted to use the money to do something for her. I'm not sure now whether this was in the VHS or the more recently purchased Blu-ray, but it wasn't anything I felt was crucial to the film.

Has anyone anywhere compiled a list of missing scenes from the Roadshow version? Was there more with the Three Stooges or Buster Keaton?

Thanks.

Yes, and yes.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#123 of 134 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yes, and yes. RAH

How can I find such a list? Thanks.

#124 of 134 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,511 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 15 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hey Mr. Harris how bout we Kickstart this? =)

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#125 of 134 BendurTailpipe

BendurTailpipe

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 06:23 PM

I hope the big boy gets an extra share.   RIP Mr. Pike

#126 of 134 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,442 posts

Posted April 12 2013 - 07:36 PM

I hope the big boy gets an extra share.   RIP Mr. Pike

and that extra share is tax-free

RIP Jonathan

#127 of 134 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,441 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 12 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hey Mr. Harris how bout we Kickstart this? =)

I would be up for a Kickstarter campaign to restore the movie.

#128 of 134 widescreenforever

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted April 13 2013 - 01:21 PM

Some where on the HT forum here a few months back was a ''link''   to the night of "kickoff of The Last 70mm Film Festival in Beverly Hills, Calif.' from last July 2012 ..,,  and there was a out 5 or six videos of that night .. the first was Billy Crystal on stage talking about him and his brother going to this movie numerous times back in 1963 .. but I believe there was also a video of Johnathon Winters speaking as well that night  .. anyone have that Link??

#129 of 134 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,511 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 06:07 AM

I don't think that was here, I would have remembered that...

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#130 of 134 Chris Coombs

Chris Coombs

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 15 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm confused. Does a restored print of IAMMMMW exist? I have seen recent sites advertizing screenings of a restored 70mm version running 197 min. The Film Society Lincoln Center showed it on Saturday, December 22, 2:00pm and Friday, December 28, 5:15pm 2012.

http://www.filmlinc....dec-21-to-jan11

If this is the case, and the print DOES exist, then why hasn't someone slapped it on a bluray? I thought the restoration was the hard (and expensive) part. But if it's already done, why hasnt it been released on home video?

(I hope I havent missed a post explaining this earlier)

#131 of 134 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,511 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 06:16 AM

Saul Bass honored by today's Google Doodle, with nods to IAMMMMW

http://www.washingto...ff0ea_blog.html

#132 of 134 zoetmb

zoetmb

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'm confused. Does a restored print of IAMMMMW exist? I have seen recent sites advertizing screenings of a restored 70mm version running 197 min. The Film Society Lincoln Center showed it on Saturday, December 22, 2:00pm and Friday, December 28, 5:15pm 2012.

http://www.filmlinc....dec-21-to-jan11

If this is the case, and the print DOES exist, then why hasn't someone slapped it on a bluray? I thought the restoration was the hard (and expensive) part. But if it's already done, why hasnt it been released on home video?

(I hope I havent missed a post explaining this earlier)

A friend of mine attended the Lincoln Center show and said the presentation was pretty bad, so I don't think it was a restored print.    I saw another film there earlier in the day ("Lord Jim", I think) and while the 70mm print was in "okay" shape, the presentation was also pretty bad, so I wasn't in the mood to stay for IAMMMMW.    That theatre had a reputation for being good, but the sound was absolutely terrible and the screen was way too small for 70mm presentation.    For a Cinerama presentation, even single-projector Cinerama, which IAMMMMW was, it's absurdly small and nothing like the original presentation, which was completely enveloping.  

Even if it were a new print, that's no guarantee of anything.   I saw a 70mm print of "The Master" at the Ziegfeld in the second week of the run and the print had dirt from end to end.   Even though I've been begging for a revival of 70mm, after I saw that presentation, I realized it's all over for film.   A standard digital presentation actually would have been better, even though I'm really sad to be saying that. 

Conventional wisdom states that the police calls during the intermission of the original run of IAMMMMW were only done for the first few showings.   But I'm 90% sure I heard it with the police calls (I seem to remember not wanting to go into the lobby because of it) and while I saw it in its original presentation at the Warner Cinerama, I doubt I saw it very early in the run.    

So what I have to wonder is that even if they did some edits after the opening, is whether that theatre kept and ran the original longer print?   Guess we'll never know for sure. 

#133 of 134 JSLasher

JSLasher

Extra

• 21 posts
  • LocationMenindee NSW Australia

Posted November 06 2013 - 10:19 PM

I am pleased to note that Criterion have announced the release of this film in Blu-ray. Great news for fans of this iconic film.

Edited by JSLasher, November 06 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#134 of 134 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,588 posts

Posted November 06 2013 - 10:27 PM

Thread already in progress

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robert Harris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users