Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I wish studios would use DTS HD MA as the standard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted August 14 2008 - 03:37 PM

Dolby TrueHD is good, but I have to admit I wish these studios would standardize and go to DTS HD Master Audio. Right now, I cannot access lossless tracks on BD discs, but DTS HD MA allows a core 1.5 Mbits/sec track to be extracted. So far, I haven't heard one DD track extracted from Dolby TrueHD that even compares to the DTS lossy core.

I'm sure the issue will go away when I can fully access the lossless trackson BD, but that will not be possible for some time. At this point in time, in every case, I prefer the sound of 1.5 Mbits DTS lossy over lossy Dolby Digital.

Edited: To clarify that I was referring to BD discs.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#2 of 15 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 12:53 AM

Does not your AVR have 5.1 inputs Edwin? With audio equipment good enough to easily detect the difference between the two lossy formats, I’m somewhat surprised that yours does not have those inputs.
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 15 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,834 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 15 2008 - 01:45 AM

So...no DTS HD MA = No Sale?! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 15 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Dolby TrueHD is good, but I have to admit I wish these studios would standardize and go to DTS HD Master Audio. Right now, I cannot access lossless tracks, but DTS HD MA allows a core 1.5 Mbits/sec track to be extracted. So far, I haven't heard one DD track extracted from Dolby TrueHD that even compares to the DTS lossy core.

I'm sure the issue will go away when I can fully access the lossless tracks, but that will not be possible for some time. At this point in time, in every case, I prefer the sound of 1.5 Mbits DTS lossy over lossy Dolby Digital.

I disagree 100%.

Give me uncompressed PCM. BR media is supposed to have all the room in the world; lets use it.

And as a bonus, us early adopters (you know, the folks that bought decks and media that allowed BR to survive?) can get full benefit of what the media is capable.

Brian

#5 of 15 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Crippen
Does not your AVR have 5.1 inputs Edwin? With audio equipment good enough to easily detect the difference between the two lossy formats, I’m somewhat surprised that yours does not have those inputs.

My HD A1 is presently occupying those inputs. I was referring to BD discs with my original post. I should have been more specific in the original post. I have edited it now. I'm using a PS3 for BDs so no lossless tracks due to lack of analog outs on the player and lack of HDMI inputs on the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
So...no DTS HD MA = No Sale?! Posted Image

Posted Image No. I'm not quite that rabid. I would just like to see DTS HD MA used because I prefer the DTS lossy stream to DD or DD+. Lack of DTS HD MA won't stop me from buying a disc that I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
I disagree 100%.

Give me uncompressed PCM. BR media is supposed to have all the room in the world; lets use it.

And as a bonus, us early adopters (you know, the folks that bought decks and media that allowed BR to survive?) can get full benefit of what the media is capable.

Brian

I could live with uncompressed PCM as long as I had a BD player with analog outs. The PS3 doesn't have those so uncompressed PCM leaves me in the same boat as any of the lossless codecs: listening to Prologic. On certain discs that works OK for me, but with really active soundtracks I still miss something in the rears in Prologic mode, even with lossless or uncompressed tracks.

So far, with the PS3, if I have to listen to a lossy track I find that I prefer DTS to Dolby.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 15 David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 01:11 PM

I really like DTS, what I love best is that the legacy track is always part of the bitstream. This allows space savings for additional features, and leaves a high quality track for those who can't produce lossless add to that it's the default track when used.

#7 of 15 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Dolby TrueHD is good, but I have to admit I wish these studios would standardize and go to DTS HD Master Audio. Right now, I cannot access lossless tracks on BD discs, but DTS HD MA allows a core 1.5 Mbits/sec track to be extracted. So far, I haven't heard one DD track extracted from Dolby TrueHD that even compares to the DTS lossy core.

I'm sure the issue will go away when I can fully access the lossless trackson BD, but that will not be possible for some time. At this point in time, in every case, I prefer the sound of 1.5 Mbits DTS lossy over lossy Dolby Digital.

Edited: To clarify that I was referring to BD discs.
I agree with you. You'll be happy to know that the new Criterion announcement for The Last Emperor is DTS HD-MA. So I'm guessing that will become their standard now too in addition to Fox and Universal.

#8 of 15 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,441 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 03:47 PM

Edwin I also agree with you and find my self in a similar equipment boat for the moment. I have my XA2 using my analog ins right now and I am also using the PS3 as my Blu-ray player. I've had to put off my AVR upgrade for a while (but I no longer have a gallbladder Posted Image).

#9 of 15 Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 04:48 PM

I felt this way too.

But I dropped only $500 on a Yamaha 663 with TrueHD and DTS MA HD decoding.

Of course the PS3 just sends it as Linear PCM, but it sounds amazing.

It's well worth the upgrade. Of course perhaps you feel that if you were to upgrade you would get something of higher than $500 quality. It's a 7.1 receiver and you would definately get an upgrade from what you have.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#10 of 15 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 02:26 AM

I don't have DTS anything, so what would happen with DTS MA titles like The Last Emporer?

#11 of 15 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer
I don't have DTS anything, so what would happen with DTS MA titles like The Last Emporer?
That's a good question. What happens when you play titles from Fox or Universal?

#12 of 15 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 04:41 AM

Quote:

Normally, you'll get nothing. If you configure your player correctly, you might get Stereo PCM. Time to upgrade your receiver?

#13 of 15 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 06:57 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't the player have a PCM conversion option for DTS and/or Dolby? I would venture a guess as to say that it would convert the core DTS to PCM, no different than any other player.

I seriously doubt that there would be a player/disc combo that could not somehow produce sound, one way or another.

Brian

#14 of 15 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted August 16 2008 - 11:44 AM

In the old days I would pick a DTS track over DD any day of the week. But now with HD and lossless a good lossless track is a good lossless track. At this time I can not listen to the DTS-HD MA tracks but am enjoying the full bitrate core of the DTS titles I currently own. While I am not crazy about the use of DN on the Dolby True HD. But At this time I am not to sure if there is much of a difference between Dolby THD and DTS-HD MA. Can't wait to get a new receiver so I can demo some Dolby THD tracks vs DTS-HD MA and see if there are any differences if any.

But I would love to see more titles with DTS-HD MA tracks. Just because I love what DTS brings to the table.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#15 of 15 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted August 17 2008 - 11:32 AM

I would personally go with a mix of PCM for anyone with 5.1 analog outs or an hdmi receiver and 640k DD so people without those can bitstream a 5.1 track.

DTS MA sounds great, but decoding is still a problem for many and too many releases with that format have had problems.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow